Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 20:51 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 16:20

Project name: Lure
developer: PekelaarSFX
Genre: Horror/Shooter.
FPSC version: v1.18 Final

Storyline: Unknown location, USA - Your unit have been chosen for a special operation what could change entire aspect of life. Not knowing what to accept, they took the offer and were shipped to Iceland. when you land with the air plane, and checked out, you get hit on the head. Next thing you that happens is that you wake up in some sort of cell. not knowing what happened, you get a stressed out transmission of your sergeant that you "got to get up there ASAP!"
Not knowing where "there" is, you wander off into the facility.

Screenshots:

Developer Comment: This is my first legit attempt to create something with FPS creator. But Critics are welcome!

PekelaarSFX

PekelaarSFX - Dedicated storywriter
pajkoCGR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 21:06
Looks creepy. Great!

-First of the best-
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 21:41
Nice...

Last pic... light shadows in one direction¿

TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 00:44
Looks awsome,like a nuke hit,and theirs all this gas left
cool effect!

Joey-May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
Favourite Game-Call Of Duty MW2
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 13:52
@PekelaarSFX

It looks nice mate! I like the fog effect everywhere, it gives off a nice eery atmosphere.

You will probably be requested to make your screen smaller though mate.

But, i will be watching this one, looks very promising. If you need any help with design, or models, just ask mate. You helped me with my voice acting.

Unfamillia

PS, one thing i would say is, move you lights closer to the sources for a more realistic look. Lights wouldn't cast shadows of the lamp shade (it is too close to the shade to cast a shadow that small) but, don't worry, most peoples games i see in these forums do this. I think it looks daft.

[url=www.touchoffear.webs.com][/url]
PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 16:38 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 16:39
Quote: "
PS, one thing i would say is, move you lights closer to the sources for a more realistic look. Lights wouldn't cast shadows of the lamp shade (it is too close to the shade to cast a shadow that small) but, don't worry, most peoples games i see in these forums do this. I think it looks daft.
"

Ok, I tried it, But when its closer I get this:

Also, when I go even closer, It will emit no light at all, only a white spot on the light entity itself. Any tips'n tricks?
(I like the lighting in TOF, So perhaps you could help me out a bit unfamilia?)

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 19:20
I think that looks more realistic already! The only trouble there, is the light bulb of the actual model gets int he way. I could knock up a model without a light bulb for you. Can you see the difference now? the size of the shadow would be bigger still as the light source should be inside that shade! realistically, none of the ceiling above the shade should be visible due to being covered in shadow!

Anyway, that is what i meant. Give me a shout if you want that light model. (nobody will see it hasn't got a light bulb in it anyway)

Unfamillia

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 19:53
Quote: "realistically, none of the ceiling above the shade should be visible due to being covered in shadow!
"

Where do you live where they don't have lightbulbs?

Okay, here's the right tip: In real life, bright light from bulbs does not cast pitch black shadows. You would get a far more believable effect if you place the light far below this source.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 20:19
I'm not saying the realistic idea is to remove the lightbulb, i am saying that for this model, the lightbulb is getting in the way of the lightsource.

If you place the light source too far away from model, you get an unrealistic shadow cast above it (like most peoples games do) that just wouldn't happen!

I'm not fully understanding your comment obviously. Do you mean place a light source far underneath the model as shown?

I think you are saying the image on the left is the more realistic one? Whereas , i am saying the image on the right is more realistic. Is this what you are meaning?

I apologise if i am confused, just trying to understand (and obviously help a fellow FPSC user)

Unfamillia

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 20:34 Edited at: 9th Jan 2012 20:36
Still, it's not realistic at all, to have the ceiling completely covered in black, since light bounces off surfaces; thus' the light would illuminate the ceiling as well.

-Doomster

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 21:40
Quote: "Still, it's not realistic at all"

That's quite a definite remark. It is realistic when you place lights exactly as you would find them in the real world.

If the engine can't handle bouncing the lights,(and you feel it really necessary) then all you need to do is create 'bounce lights', by placing darker variants of the main light source where you think the light would be reflected (keeping the angles equal)

Quote: "since light bounces off surfaces"

Light doesn't bounce off all surfaces, some surfaces would 'absorb' light (in a fashion) Such as very dark matte areas.

Unfamillia

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 21:51 Edited at: 9th Jan 2012 22:04
Quote: "It is realistic when you place lights exactly as you would find them in the real world"

Placing the lights in a realistic manner, doesn't mean, that the end result looks realistic, too - as can be seen with the pitch black ceiling, which is continuously appearing in FPSC games.

I've only 'stepped in' and added my remark, since you never talked about illuminating the ceiling as well, but said, that the new lighting looks more realistic, when, in my opinion, it absolutely does not - since no lights were added to lighten up the ceiling, compared to the rather nicely visible ceiling in the first post - and you didn't suggest it, but left with a "looks more realistic already".

But back to topic.

PekelaarSFX, the scene looks pretty solid already, but I'd suggest to use a different ceiling, since, for the most part, it doesn't look too nice, when the ceiling and floor share the same texture; that way, the overall scene often looks more repetitive and monotonous.

The last room could look better, when you'd raise the ceiling from 1 segment to about 1.5 segments, since it would flow better with the wider room layout, that way, you'd also have more space to add details to the ceiling, etc.

Keep it up!

-Doomster

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 22:32
@PelekaarSFX

Basically, ignore what we say and try out what feels best for you. In this world, if we all did the same as what someone else says, then nothing would stand out, nothing would be different and we wouldn't progress anywhere!

As you have seen, there is going to many different opinions about how to achieve different effects, but, just play around with it and see what best fits the feel of your game.

Would a mod please delete the discussion above as it isn't fair to clog up PelekaarSFX's WIP thread.

Unfamillia

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 22:29
@Unfamillia: As light does not travel and reflect as it does in real life in FPSC (obviously) your method wouldn't be desirable as with Pekelaars Settings...there would be a pitch black ceiling. (And how often have you seen that? ) the only coherent way to fake a certain level of realism is placing the light under the lamp so it lights up a larger area. Depending on your area this will even remove your shadow completely delivering a much more pleasant look like this (third screenshot to the left)

And Pekelaar: It really helps not to have that bright white lights, try to make it greyish as this won't feel so synthetic.

A much more important and obvious point of criticism: Do not use the same texture for floor and roof

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 22:35
Quote: "A much more important and obvious point of criticism: Do not use the same texture for floor and roof"

Already noticed it, i'm working on perfecting level 1 and 2, So I can deliver a SMALL Geometry level.
Just bear with me, I might be not that fest by brining Updates to this thread.. but when I do, i'l make sure its big.. Like IW used to you

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
The red fog looks very creepy and mysterious! I'm looking forward to seeing more on this game in the future.

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 14:47 Edited at: 13th Jan 2012 14:47
Inportant update!

Due to the heavy amount of training I have to go through until June,
I will not be able to update frequently. Sorry for that.
I will try to do as much work when I'm off duty, but I will not be sure If I have the strength enough to do so after a day of training.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:28:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:28:53