Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / Creating MSI for AppUp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've seen a lot of topics for using War Setup 3 to generate the MSI to upload to AppUp. Most of these were for DBP, not AGK. Are there any good guides out there that anyone knows of?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I followed this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkMJwrqd-8

Sean

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I already watched that video, but my first impression was that it was really difficult. Then I realized I didn't have the initial project files Lee said he was going to make available. Does anyone know where to get those?
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, I watched the video and this was originally written for DBP. How much different is this from AppGameKit? Wouldn't I need the merge file for AppGameKit vs. DBP?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2012 05:05 Edited at: 31st Jan 2012 05:05
Quote: "Also, I watched the video and this was originally written for DBP. How much different is this from AppGameKit? Wouldn't I need the merge file for AppGameKit vs. DBP?"

The only difference between the DBPro and AppGameKit is you don't need the Direct X9 .msn file.

Sean

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Is that the "merge" file Lee talks about? Does anyone have a template created for building new .msi's?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, the "merge module". You can use Lee's template, just go to the "Includes" tab and remove the "merge module" from the "Module" area.

Sean

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 21:33
Whats WAR SETUP¿

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this part of my problem. Where do I get Lee's template? I can't find it anywhere.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
War Setup is a program that takes your .EXE and creates an .MSI file. If you want to publish your game on AppUp, you need to submit an .MSI file.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Follow this link to download the template:
http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/APPUP-MyCoolGame.rar

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 08:31
Thanks badkneecap... linky?

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't open that file, but I downloaded the file with the same name but with a .zip extension. I still did not find the project file(s) I am looking for. I was looking for something with a .warsetup extension. I'm I looking for the wrong project extension?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about that, linked you to the wrong file. Here's the right one:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/APPUP-MyFreeInstaller.zip

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. That was what I was looking for. I was able to compile and get the .MSI created. I installed locally and it seemed to work. I submitted to Intel and just waiting for approval. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope this topic helps others.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I am still trying to compile my first app to the AppUp platform. I created my .EXE and it seems to be working correctly. I am still stuck on creating the .MSI. I signed the .EXE and but I am getting errors when I try and build. Do these look familiar to anyone?

I have to be honest and say that I am becoming more and more frustrated using AGK. It's advertised that you write once and deploy everywhere. I'm spending more time trying to figure out how to distribute than I am writing my games. The documentation and help is horrible. I'm about to start looking for another solution.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone explain what these errors are? Can I ignore them, or do I need to fix?
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I have made some progress. Somehow I realized that I did not have the most recent version of War Setup installed. So, I installed. However, I got the same errors. But now, my screen matched the screen in Lee's video. I found that he set "Supress Validation" to true, where I had it set to false. So, when I compile, I do not get any errors. Go figure, I have to supress the validation.

But I have a newer problem that I think is easier to resolve. I take the MSI file and remove the shortcut as outlined. I then code sign it and upload to AppUp.

Here's the problem I am having. In AppUp, I download and install. It makes it much further than it ever has before, but I now get a 2009 error. When I look on my desktop, there is a shortcut to my app. It's white (not sure why) and when I double-click, I get the error "You are attempting to open a file of type 'Application Extension' (.dll)". When I check my application folder, my app is there and I can run the .exe with no problem. However, I notice that the application is in "\program files\my comp name\myappname\myappname". Not sure if this is a problem, but my shortcut might be pointing to the wrong location.

In Warsetup, I have:

dstPath - [PersonalFolder]
srcPath - [APPLICATIONFOLDER]\CrazyTiles.exe
workingDir - [APPLICATIONFOLDER]

I'm guessing it's something simple. Anyone else have this problem?
ericpos
Years of Service
User Offline
You can use this tool to check, i hope it helps you
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/1324

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:08:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:08:22