Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Low Poly Katana Model

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2012 05:40 Edited at: 5th Feb 2012 05:41
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/obj-japanese-katana/653264

Low poly Katana game model.
1024x1024 Texture with 3 variations.
137 Polygons.
.obj and .x
Baked Ambient Occlusion so it looks pretty in low lighting situations

Great for use in Darkbasic, or with some riggin, in FPSC!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 10:43 Edited at: 6th Feb 2012 10:49
could be that its the angle of the pic and i know that there are many different forms of blades and handles, but peak-forefront (boshi) is mostly used for a tanto (most katanas use rounded boshi for better cutting, you wont jab with a katana, only cut up ), angle is way too sharp, it would break with 1 or 2 cuts (and i am not the hardest hitter around here^^). tsuka (handle) is a bit too long against blade when looking at the (small) tsuba and blade is a bit too strait in the second half to forefront (momo-uchi).

looks more like a classic fast ninjablade atm, but nonetheless very cool and stylish. think of a katana as a big,fat, longbladed axe. its also used in this way, cutting flesh and breaking bones, then again cutting flesh behind the broken bones.^^

classic form (most common):

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 14:59
looks a bit too thin at the front, but i must say it looks amazing.

Not a fan of the pricing you got there, i might be alone on this one though but, for a ninja blade, with as simple geometry as you got here, and the only real highlight it has is the ingraving on the blade (otherwise its a pretty simple texrture) I cant for the life of me justify the 10$ price, is it even animated?

I know you will get back to me with "but every other model on turbosquid has that price"
but please, do try to explain any other factors on that, especially considering this: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-lightsaber-hilt/589272 goes for 28$

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 16:28
Quote: "looks more like a classic fast ninjablade atm"

It would have a straight blade then or am I mistaking?. (Yes! I had to geek with you there...)

Quote: "(most katanas use rounded boshi for better cutting, you wont jab with a katana, only cut up ), "

While I'm sure it happened a lot in actual combat (especially against heavily armored oponents) they tell you not to do it in any club or school. A Katana is also far too long to be a good stabbing weapon.

@Maho: Where do you practise swordfight? (I have one of these)

@AJ: Go easy on the pricing mate! Such simple geometry should be sold for a third of that price.

Good job on the texture though. A blade isn't exactly easy to do.

-Wolf

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 17:16 Edited at: 6th Feb 2012 17:42
i dont train, just have some practice over the years. and i have to say i am not a geek in this, just a fan.

traditional iaidoo:
http://www.iaido.shingitaidojo.de/

one of my best friends trains there for now 18(?) years. i do some bokken-practise and cutting-tests with him from time to time (i loose every single fight since first time^^). and yes, we tried a half pig years ago... frightening what these things do to flesh&bones that easy, i have the video somewhere around, have to search.

blade and habaki on your pic looks like a john-lee-blade (dont hurt me if i am wrong ). chinese/hongkong, "cheap" but very good blades, i have an aikuchi-tanto made by them (http://shop.mareg.net/media/images/85725_gr.jpg), very nice weapon. the upper named friend has a 200 year old blade, very cool and mastermade, costs double as much as my car^^

and yes, you are right, ninjablade would be totally straight, my fault, but AJs model is so ... light. definitely too peaky, it would break.
katana is a very heavy weapon on your wrists, first cut hurts so bad everytime if you are not in training, and you come easily through wood/bamboo even with a slighty rounded top, you just have not to stab but to "cut upwards". as i say to him everytime, if you would use this without technique, a katana is a really horrible blade...because its an axe^^ roman gladius is much better to handle.

is this thread-hijacking? but nice to see you around here, wolf.
i follow your blog and cant wait to see something of your udk-stuff here (had a look and the engine doesnt seem as complicated as thought?).

gz

AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 22:00
Quote: "especially considering this"

You couldn't use that in a game could you?

Quote: "is it even animated?"

It's just a sword...

Quote: "A blade isn't exactly easy to do."

Got that right LOL.

I must also state that I am in no way an expert on Katanas.
I just found a picture and used it as a reference.

The price is also now $5.00

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 22:02 Edited at: 6th Feb 2012 22:03
Quote: "You couldn't use that in a game could you?"

no, but i could easily use it in a high production value movie, for example.

but consider this: a high quality game character including weapons and animations goes for 60$-100$

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 22:03
Quote: "high production value movie"

True.
But I like to make low poly stuff for games
I've never made a model above 6,000 polys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:11:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:11:54