Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 20:27 Edited at: 29th Apr 2012 18:33
Hi all. Some of you may remember my shooter WIP a while back. I was going to revive it, but it is locked now as it has been a while. In case you haven't seen it, here is the link.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188488&b=41

So here is the one level demo of the game with no name! Perhaps someone might have a good idea of a name possibly?

I will be updating the game demo soon.

Controls are joystick based, and revert to the awsd keys if you do not have one, or, you can select keyboard controls on the menu, which allows arrow key movement and space for fire . Fire is button 3 on the joystick, or the r key on keyboard ( I think as I always have a pad connected!).

I have tried it on an android phone and it runs very nicely, just is a little difficult to keep up with using the virtual stick. I am afraid you will all have to make do with the windows version here though.

Since the demo I have added the following.

Powerups - Upgrades to the existing gun and a new type entirely. Also a powerup for increase in fire rate. I plan to add more gun types/powerups and an area bomb effect as an extra weapon.

Second End Boss - Still to be tweaked and finalized, but in and killable. I plan to have a different end boss for each level. Semi-obvious, but you may think from watching the vids that it will be the same boss over and over.

2nd and 3rd Level - Needs an end boss (level 3) and some basic enemies for both.

Improved menu options and graphics - Rather than a black screen we now have swirling stars (sort of ). Oh and a name! Although I noticed an old Amiga game with the same title, which was annoying. Nothing like mine though. Still, it's only a change of text at the moment, if I feel the need to change it.

Tweaked android control - The basic joystick setup on AppGameKit is not great for a fast paced shooter. On android it was a struggle to get past level 1 with a reasonable amount of lives. Although the game is still tough, I've managed to both shrink both the joystick size and increase the ease of finding it with your thumb. With the standard settings and images, simply shrinking the size of the joystick made it too fiddly to play.

Changed the resolution - Originally 640x320, I have shoveled it into 640x400 and added a console to hide the gap. I could have stretched the images but it probably would have looked a bit odd.

New sound effects - Nothing of note really, I only add it as a record of all the minor changes that go on with a project like this.

Added pause feature - Wow.. Wait, no it was harder than it sounds, really! Let me explain.. I added some code to check for the pause request, Play my new sound , and go into a little loop where nothing is updated other than the screen refresh and a check for the request to restart. That worked fine, but the sprites still animated regardless, they just froze in place. So I put in a check to stop each sprite and then restart them again when you restart.
That worked ok until the end boss. For that I am using a timer based routine which the pause interfered with. If you paused the boss would freeze fine, but on restart he would jump to another part of his routine. So I then had to check the timer, and compare and adjust the boss timer according to how long the pause lasts. Now seems all is fine ( I hope ).

Wow, that took some updating. You may wonder why I put the pause story into the post. It is just to illustrate the odd problems you can get when you decide to add in a feature to an existing engine. Perhaps it should have been put in at the start, but I always leave tweaks like that till the nearer the end of a project.

All, in all a fair list of changes in just the last few weeks, so I am making progress at least!

Old but still relevant to the demo.
Added credits to menu but forgot the sound, will update it at some point soon (new videos include it). Sound is by Matt McFarlan as mentioned in the above thread.
I thought I would put all the videos so far in one place, so the games progression from it's early stages can be seen easily.

Edit - New Video of the game (29/04/2012).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 02:00 Edited at: 12th Feb 2012 02:00
Just adding a screenshot for people who don't try the link

Attachments

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 09:08
This plays really well DVader! Just out of curiosity, do you use the sine function to move some of the aliens, because I do this?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 13:10
Oh, well, look promising

Quote: "do you use the sine function to move some of the aliens, because I do this?"

Indeed, nice movement.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 17:50 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 23:19
Cheers Hodgey and I think kamac.. Yes, sin is used for a few of the enemies so far. Although as I lost all the other graphics (in the crash) and can't seem to get anything out of the original artist. I don't see much more being done as yet. Unfortunately, he lost interest when I ran into that bug, and I don't see him doing any more at the min.
That's pretty much why I have put the demo up, else it may have been waiting forever.

Edit - If anyone notices any bugs or problems let me know. I'm pretty sure it is bug free now though. Have received what was done for level 2, graphics wise, so hopefully can get started once I have gone through and sorted what is usable, and what is incomplete. Also let me know what you think of the difficulty, but remember it is harder to play on a phone than using a pad on the PC, so upping the difficulty much would make it unplayable on a phone (well for me anyway).

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 15:29
Great game so far, DVader!
Sad to hear the loss of graphics, and interest of the original artist. I'd happily do the graphics for you, but I already have plenty of projects on my hands atm. I'll have some thought about that, but can't promise anything.
Personnaly, I prefer the cursorkeys for movement, and space to fire.
That is the only complaint I had so far.
The music is great too.
Nice job, keep it up!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 12:17
That's cool DVader! I hope you don't drop this project as it's great fun

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Slayer and baxslash! It was the first project I started in AppGameKit and is the only one to survive the crash at least part intact, along with Froggit, that is.
Oh regarding movement, the keys used are what TGC set to default to when a joystick is not found. Blame them for picking awsd lol. For me those are only FPS controls and lets face it, not many FPS games likely to come out for AppGameKit any time soon. Maybe I will give the players an option to define keys as well, but at the moment I am more concerned with keeping it playable on phones and PC with the least amount of movement control code possible
I actually think it would be far better if you could define the keys a joypad defaults to when it is not found, rather than just using the awsd keys..

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 01:42
Looks really nice keep up the good work!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks erebusman, I'm glad you like it. I have since added a couple of levels, a weapon upgrade system (still has a way to go, but has a couple of basic power ups in). The enemies are the same on all levels at the min just tougher each time round, but that hopefully will be addressed soonish.

I have also managed to get it installed on an android phone, and it looks and runs great! I'm pleased with the loading times now, as when sending via agk they seemed a lot longer, even after the transfer time. I will update the demo fairly soon to the latest more complete version.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2012 20:23 Edited at: 10th Apr 2012 20:24
New screenies of Level 2 & 3. I'm not too sure about 3 yet it looks a little crowded at the moment.

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2012 20:25 Edited at: 10th Apr 2012 20:25
Level 3.

Attachments

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 11:20
Hi,

Looking good. Some feedback;

* Change the default joystick and button (maybe also make them smaller)
* Try and make the sprites stand out a bit more from the backgrounds
* An improved font would work wonders

Could you make a video to show how it plays?

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 18:55 Edited at: 11th Apr 2012 18:57
Thanks for the comments Rick, it's still work in progress, and I am still playing about with the joystick position and size. I am a little worried at making it smaller for playability reasons at the min (It's quite tough as it is to keep alive on the android), but I know what you mean. It looks wrong with the current console at the bottom and the joystick overlapping as it does.

I think the sprites stand out pretty well, apart from the spikes that rise from the floor on level 1. They tend to merge a little with the rocks which is sort of intentional, but does make it harder to spot them of course. I may add a glow, or alter the colour a little to help with that.

The font? I thought it looked quite good, but I am not the best for that sort of thing It's actually a free one off these forums that I got in the first week of AppGameKit being released. I'll have to see what else I can try.

I have posted several videos of the game as it has progressed as I want to keep a record of it's progress as it develops. I will be doing a new one soon, but the old ones are at the link provided at the start of the post.

Oh and theres the demo of course, that you can actually play! But it may be worth waiting for my update in about a week hopefully. It will include a powerup system, which isn't in at all in the current demo, a few more levels, improved menu and updated control options. I normally leave the any additional control issues to a last tweak at the end, but for the sake of The Slayers sanity, I have included cursor key control as an alternative to the awsd keys the joystick defaults to.

Oh it now has a name, and is no longer just the shooter

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2012 09:03 Edited at: 14th Apr 2012 09:15
Here is a new video of the game in it's current state. I have improved the start screen, added powerups to your existing weapon and a new alternate weapon, added 2 new stages, increased the enemy attacks slightly, improved the endboss and killed any bugs I have seen along the way. Oh, the new joystick interface along the bottom also, but obviously that is more for phones than windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJl05B4tfw&feature=youtu.be

Next is to add in a few different enemies for later stages and new end bosses for each. Any comments, as always are welcome.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 01:59
Great work !

But maybe you can convert Boss bullets to great fireball (with particles) ?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, those boss bullets aren't too hot, too static by far. I plan on altering those before I finish, to a more flowing flame looking ones. The current colour cycle anim looks a bit cheesy.
Thanks for the compliment, and suggestion, although it is already on my to do list (I never much liked it from day one).

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 00:17 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 00:24
Looks like you have made alot of progress
I liked the artwork on the second level
Its new compared to the first time i watched your project?

The third level gave me some memorys of an old amiga game called menace that whas an shooter.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Cliff. Yes, level 2 is a fairly new addition (at least since my other post). Glad you like it's look. It's certainly not inspired by Menace for me, but I couldn't say if the artist was or not I was spoiled by the shooters on the Megadrive and arcades, so not many Amiga shooters really grabbed me. I remember liking Agony and R-Type on Amiga, but as I had an A600, R-Type would not run
I have been mainly concentrating on the powerup system and trying to keep the game from becoming too easy or hard which is quite tough. I don't want people to be penalized too badly for dieing, but if I have no penalty you would quickly become uber powerful and probably fly through the game in no time.
So I have that to tweak more yet, I have it at what would be the difficult setting at the moment. The only problem with it is if the end boss kills you a few times, your pea shooter gun is practically useless against it. I plan to either drop the weapon penalty altogether on the end boss, or give random powerups as you kill him, or a combination of the two on differing difficulty levels.
I am also on about my 4th re-jig of the android controls display lol. I am hoping to get those graphics redrawn before too long. At the min they are placeholders I have knocked together.
One problem I have, and I'm sure many peeps suffer from, is feature creep. I keep getting new ideas I want to add as I go which seems to make it a never ending project. But I feel I'm getting fairly far through it now, and the end is at least in sight!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 14:06
Quote: "but for the sake of The Slayers sanity, I have included cursor key control as an alternative to the awsd keys the joystick defaults to."

Finally, man!
Thanks for adding the cursorkey control.
The game is getting better and better, dude! Nice work. Keep on it.

Quote: "Yeah, those boss bullets aren't too hot, too static by far. I plan on altering those before I finish, to a more flowing flame looking ones. The current colour cycle anim looks a bit cheesy."

Well, if you need any help on that, I can make you some coool animated flame(ball) sprites. And, if needed, I could help with the other explosion effects? Just shoot me...an email.

Cheers

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 16:10 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 22:51
That would be great Slayer. I keep meaning to attempt something myself, but keep putting it off, and I'm sure yours would look better anyway. I am already using a couple of your graphics from the ADG competition prize, for power ups as you can see in the preview of the latest video. They fit the job nicely

Edit - Sent you a mail, but no reply as yet, so just checking you have received it? I wasn't expecting an instant reply with a graphic, but I am wondering if it has been lost in the ether..

Edit - Got it! Here's a pic of it in action. A screen shot doesn't really do it justice though, a new video may be required as I have added a fair bit since the last one.

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 15:25 Edited at: 29th Apr 2012 15:25
Quote: "Edit - Got it! Here's a pic of it in action. A screen shot doesn't really do it justice though, a new video may be required as I have added a fair bit since the last one."

The fireballs look great!
Looking forward to see them ingame. Hehehhe.

Could you send me the images of the console, and also the buttons and joystick? Thanks.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Will do. I'm just working on a new video, but it's taking longer each time now! I will probably post it later today or tomorrow. Cheers for the graphics so far Chris!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The new video is up!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 22:31
Awesome

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 22:54
Quote: "Awesome "

Indeed! Looking megasweet, DVader! I see my sprites being put to good use.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 18:17 Edited at: 2nd May 2012 18:18
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. It can be very difficult to judge your own game sometimes, because you have played it, and looked at it, so much while making it. Slayer, Yes they are coming in handy at the moment. I am using more and more of them, as I go.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 18:42
Looks really nice
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Cliff. Have you had much luck with getting your 3D engine working? Now we have get and paste image and a new version? I know you were waiting for it. Thankfully, the upgrade only caused minor problems here, with what seems like a change in animation frame numbering, 0 is not allowed any more by the looks.

I await the new advert commands with interest on Friday. As far as android is concerned it seems the best way to go I think, free with adverts. Possibly a paid one as well, but I am still unsure. It looks like I need to get some web space to test http a little also. Online high scores are always a bonus for getting people competitive, and playing your game more. My darts entry into one of DB's compo's had one, but used FTP at the time.

I am pausing a little on this as I have run out of graphics, and am waiting for the rest of this update before I do much more proper work to Obliterator. I may have a few new graphics by then also thanks to the Slayer

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 01:11
Hey man, sent you a few emails (with images), but you haven't answered yet. Did you get them? ?

Cheers

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I hadn't seen them, have replied now! I can sometimes leave it a few days between checking mails unless I am expecting one.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 20:10
Hey DVader, sent you a few new alien sprites.
How's the progress on this?

Cheers

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nothing new since the last demo I sent you Slayer, I haven't had as much time as normal to get working on it as much as I'd like. I still need to get a newer demo up here also. Still waiting on that ship sprite off the original artist also.
the sprites you have sent me so far have been great and will look good in game. I should be getting back to it, once Moonsnaker is out. TGC are taking longer than I expected. Shouldn't be too long now (he says with fingers crossed).

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 18:10 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2013 17:25
Just updating the thread to keep it going. Progress has been slow for awhile and not much to update. Level 4 has been causing me issues, but at last I seem to have solved them, and apart from a few final items is all done. Level 5 awaits lol.

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 17:24 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2013 17:27
Here's a couple of new pics of the work so far. Progress has been slow on this project for awhile due to graphics issues. Many thanks to the Slayer for helping me out in this regard, and supplying a good few pieces of work to help me continue forward!

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2013 00:51
I love the badass colorfull ship on the first

I love strong colors

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2013 16:17 Edited at: 4th Jan 2013 16:19
That's one of the ones I have been waiting for off the original artist involved, but I agree it looks pretty good. He sent a new one which was metal/red looking, but I liked the original so much I asked him to change it back.

That is the original ship, the new one is based on it.

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2013 21:15
The one i liked reminds me of warhammer elves machines

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 20:22
Quote: "Many thanks to the Slayer for helping me out in this regard, and supplying a good few pieces of work to help me continue forward!"

You're welcome, man! Glad I could help out as much as possible.
Good to see this develop further, and I hope the original artist keeps on doing more art. Whenever possible, I'll help you out.

Cheers!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Np Slayer! Thanks for your help so far. I just hope it does get finished and released!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:14:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:14:04