Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / The Black Hole: Tier-1 Space Shooter Game with Physics.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 23:00
Hi,
this is a complete 5 stage, space shooter game that exploits Box2D Physics: forces, (revolute) joints, sprite raycast, ecc.
You pilot a space rocket against killer satellites, revoluting space spheres (using joints), meteorites, death star-like boss, and do slalom through still space spheres, followed by meteorite. There is a black hole at the center of the screen, that attracts everything with gravity force. Deadly X-rays come from the black hole and the space rocket must avoid them too. The ship can fire missiles against the enemies. The missile can destroy enemies on stage 1,2 and 4, change trajectory of asteroid on stage 3, hit the boss on stage 5. You can use the rocket to move, but beware of the fuel rapidly exhausting when used.
The app is available both for Windows platform (using a joystick) or for Android, using the virtual buttons at the bottom of the screen. My family testers (my sons) appreciated the game. Since at level 3 it is very difficult, I put a "continue" feature in order to progress through levels. High score is make persistent by writing on file.
Here are some screenshots.

SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 04:41
Looks interesting, the only thing i might suggest is fixing the aspect ratio or virtual resolution (which ever you use) to fit the screen size set in the setup.agc. It gets rid of the black borders and makes the game look better, unless that what you wanted.

Programming and video games, what else could you need?
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 14:33
Quote: "Looks interesting, the only thing i might suggest is fixing the aspect ratio or virtual resolution (which ever you use) to fit the screen size set in the setup.agc. It gets rid of the black borders and makes the game look better, unless that what you wanted."

Thanks simple program You're right, the only problem is that the background with the black hole, is a big background sprite rotating around the center. It is a square sprite with some original dimensions of the screen but scaled 1.4 times the side of the screen. Of course it is oversize in order not to show black margins during the game. If I set a rectangular aspect, I have to scale much more the image, or use another bigger image. Moreover the radial attraction force suggests a square screen aspect. Would you suggest me a way to adapt the screen to the smartphone screens and at the same time to preserve the game "philosophy"?
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 21:51
Now The Black Hole is available on Android Market for 0.99€:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.texasoftreloaded.theblackhole&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50ZXhhc29mdHJlbG9hZGVkLnRoZWJsYWNraG9sZSJd
I added it to the AppGameKit gallery, waiting for approval from TGC.
I changed the splash screen, the boss now is capable of firing bombs, and other minor changes to make the game more enjoyable.
Here is the new splash screen.
http://agkappmarket.altervista.org/blackhole/theblackholescreenshot1.png
Unfortunately I was not able to change the aspect of the game to make it fit perfectly on (smart)phone or tablet screens, because all game is based on radial symmetry (gravity force).
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 11:50
This is the new site with all links of my games to Android Market and to the AppGameKit Gallery.
http://agkappmarket.altervista.org/
The AppGameKit gallery link is http://www.appgamekit.com/gallery_view_entry.php?i=50
The site is very simple, so please do not criticize it too much, I know that it is elementary...but it is HTML5 valid
Moreover there is a little advertisement of AppGameKit product, it is sincere because it is a good product right now (although at early stage), and I hope that if many people buy it and Lee/Paul/etc succed in making money, for sure they will have resources to make it better and better. Not too much money, of course, otherwise they run to Seychelles and adieu AGK/Dark Basic/etc

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:16:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:16:33