Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Carnage (In Development Again!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 14:52 Edited at: 28th Feb 2012 14:53
lol. Thanks Baxslash. It's nice to get some really positive feedback.

Unfortunately, there are many hundreds of new ways to kill people planned for the full version. More gore, many more arena death machines, more weapons, rag doll deaths, more crazy power-ups, and you'll also be able to hack up your friends, to increase satisfaction.

If you enjoy it this much now, I would consider signing on the doll and gluing your eyeballs open when the full game comes out.

Edit: Also, I apologise for the fact you've spent an hour mastering the control mechanism that is about to be ripped out and replaced. I hope you like the new one when it's done.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 16:15
*rolls eyes*

...great. It's going to be even better and I'll have to buy it...

I hate you.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 17:23 Edited at: 28th Feb 2012 17:23
So many improvements! Had some fun playing this morning while drinking my morning coffee. Now for another Moondog list;

1) Definitely make the controls where pressing wasd moves the character up down left right regardless of where he's pointing. Right now it's a bit difficult at times to move and you gent confused often.

2) I think the camera should always be centered on the character, right now you have it adjust based on the cursor distance from the character. If you wanted to turn around quick, the farther your cursor is the farther you have to move it to turn around. (attached image)

3) The opening splash screens, and control screen with background vid is very pro, good stuff.

4) An alt for the HUD, instead of all the crazy numbers, you need more visual representations. You have two meters surrounding your character. Left is for health, right is for ammo and they only appear when you are either hit or you are shooting. (attached image)

5) To view more stats during fight, like kills, deaths, kill streaks, time limit, etc. Instead of cluttering the screen, you would need to hold down a button, or tap a button like 'Tab' and an extra HUD will pop up with easy to read big text then hitting or letting go of the button will cause them to disappear. That way the screen stays clean and you can focus on the action.

6) Kill streaks should definitely be added, along with dmg multipliers but with a twist. Getting 5+ kills will grant say double dmg, but you'll receive double the dmg from enemies. The higher you go the more dmg you can dish, but you can receive the same amount. Could make for some interesting encounters.

Attached image:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 19:54
Alright Dawg! I will get back to your email. I have it marked as unread to remind me, but I am crap with email.

1. I've just finished implementing this for the player today. It's a mighty head fudge for someone like me, who has been playing the game with the old control mechanism for 3 years, but it is better. I need to recode the AI before I release an update, but hopefully I'll have that online tomorrow.

2. That's not quite right. It simply looks ahead of the player a set distance, so whichever direction your character is facing, the camera moves that way a bit. I get your point though. This could be a setting in the final game or current INI file, like "Look ahead distance 1..10"

3. Thanks dude! All thanks to Peter Jovanovic's 2D skills.

4,5. A new HUD is coming soon. It will show kills, deaths, score, difference from the leading player, and scoreboard rank. I like the idea of having it hidden unless you press a key though. Also your health/ammo counter ideas are good. Another one for the todo list.

6. I agree with that. M-M-M-M-MMMMULTI-KILL! etc. It's getting a bit late in the day to add those kind of features to the demo. It's hard enough to get the balancing right as it is, but definitely needs to be in the full version.

Thanks for the continued feedback mate. As I said, hopefully the 8-directional movement controls will be online tomorrow. I think the play experience is going to be completely different.

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 03:16 Edited at: 29th Feb 2012 03:49
as a player that dont understand the work you have done,i have to say,I dont like the game. But, as the interested developer, i have to say well done and keep up the good work!!!

Edit:
-Its impossible to move around because wasd always keep the same.(atleast for me,at the fighting speed)
-The textures are very low for todays technology
-The blood could be better
-The level design could be better,no,sorry but as a level-designer i must say "it SHOULD be better"
-Sometimes i dont even know who i am,because the character are all the same,you should have maybe change the colour of the t-shirt.
-The fun factor is very low because you dont have many chance to stay alive
-The camera position is a pain in the...,who like it its ok,i would do it different,because its a shooter but i understand what you wanted to archieve.

Animals
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 17:21
Hi Fallout,

This game has a lot going for it and will no doubt be an awesome game.

I have a issue with the control system, it does not seem very intuitive at all. Firstly I will state that I mostly game on consoles, also I was playing on a laptop with no mouse which is a major disadvantage and probably partly explains my failure to get to grips with the controls.

As I see it there is a conflict between the direction you wish to shoot and the direction you wish to move, I don't feel free to move the cursor to shoot while competently keep moving in the direction I want to.

I read through this thread a few days ago so I know you mentioned changing controls, I'm just not sure if this is what they have been changed to or it's on your to do list.

I would try 'w' always moves you up screen, 'a' left and so on. This will decouple where you are shooting from the direction you wish to move in.

There is a chance that I just suck

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 17:32
@Dark_ITheI _Angel - It's a shame it's not your thing, but you can't win 'em all.

@Matty

Thanks for the feedback Matty. What you've described is exactly what I implemented yesterday. I think you'll find it way more intuitive. It definitely makes targeting enemies a load easier.

Today I've been rewriting the AI to take advantage of the new 'decoupling' of movement and aiming, and the result is they are absolutely brutal. I can't win my own game any more without some serious concentration, so I think it's a positive on all counts.

I was going to get an update online today, but it'll probably be tomorrow now as I need to iron out some bugs. Thanks for the feedback though and expect an update along the lines of what you expect tomorrow.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 18:20
Nice! - the straffe does help, once I got used to it... maybe make the control style an option, some people might prefer the directional control.

Did you add that star under the player when he spawns? - not sure if that was in the last version, but it's ideal. Might be an idea to add a spawn shield, like 3 seconds, I got spawn killed about 5 times in 1 game :/.

I had a great time with that stake gun, that's my favorite weapon. I think that the visceral weapons are the most important, I almost don't want to pick up the guns. One ye olde weapon that I miss is the shredder from Unreal Tournament, like a circular blade that gets fired, or spins with alt-fire... weapons like that would be a lot of fun I think - maybe even some projectiles that bounce off walls, at neck height. There aren't enough sharp projectiles in games these days.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 19:38
Hi Van. The new control mechanism is too fundamental to include both. You'd be at such a disadvantage using the 'race car' style approach. The AI is owning now with the ability to run anywhere while shooting in any direction. You'd be crying into a soggy hanky, asking yourself why you're being so comprehensively defeated. You'd be like a vampire; you'd never be able to look at yourself in the mirror again.

As for the stakegun, I am a big fan of it too. Did you ever play Pain Killer? You used to be able to stake people to walls with it. They'd fly back with the power of the stake and end up hanging from whichever surface the stake stuck into. That was my initial plan for the gun but it never got implemented. I want to add those kind of touches to the final game.

The spinning blade weapon is a good idea too. The shrapnel canon (and shrapnel from explosives) bounce off the walls, just like grenades do, but I think a nice spinning disc weapon that has some more range to it would be a good idea. Nice one.

I'm going to upload a build with the new control mechanism tomorrow now. It takes some getting used to, but hopefully it'll work for you. Cheers for playing.

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
@fallout,
Of corse not fallout,of corse not!!!! But you win me because i´ve seen your motivation by playing your game and just keep doing your thing.
Its true there is some things to do to make it playable\funable,but thats why people posting!
This game have big potencial,and the first thing to work at its the movement,about the others,no problem,i make you the levels for free (credits )

just keep doing,people like you maintain this alive

Animals
MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 07:19
Still hanging out for that scanline + camera hud duo. Seems so obvious, I'd kinda like to hear what your beef is there. Artistic choice or something to do with a lack of timer-based movement?

Also, I see you're cracking some 2D stuff. Looks sweet. This means it is time to fix your dynamic resolution. You'll thank yourself later.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 10:23
@MMM - You're right; shaders are important to give the visuals a boost. They can still be switched off on really low end systems so the game is playable for everyone. I'm getting to visuals at some point next week. My priority is game playability at the moment. Whether scanline/camera hud is the way to go, I don't know yet, but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote: "This means it is time to fix your dynamic resolution. You'll thank yourself later."

I don't understand what you mean here. Surely fixing a dynamic resolution is a contradiction?! All 2D artwork is scaled dynamically to the resolution, so hopefully it'll all work seamlessly when I provide a mechanism for the user to choose their resolution.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions though. I meant to reply to your big post ages ago, but got distracted!

@Dark_ITheI _Angel - I have to be honest. The level is uninspiring. It was made 3 years ago though. Level design will be central to the game in the full version, and I want to make great use of height (even though the game is essentially flat), so pits, cliffs and rafters and all that kind of stuff, to give them game some depth. Also there will be things like fluid, better lighting effects, more death trap weapons, and more interesting scenes. So I totally hear you here. We are working with old, quickly produced media right now.

Thanks for the offer of help too. Once this demo is done, I'll need to sit down and think through design and requirements in a lot of detail and then figure out who we need to make it work. So we may be recruiting. Who knows?!

Update coming shortly ...

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 10:55
Carnage Demo v1.06 now available.

Download: Carnage v1.06 (114 MB)

Updates:
- Added Full Time exit message
- Added new scoreboard screen and splash screens
- Lean functionality removed (for now)
- Implementation of 8-directional movement and aim
- Complete reprogramming of AI
- Added 3 secs invulnerabilty on spawn
- Fixed edge of map aiming inaccuracy

Bugs/Issues:
- As you'd expect with new AI and controls, there will be some movement/navigational bugs. Please
report any issues you see on the forum.
- Awaiting strafe animations. Character legs orientations are a bit odd at the moment.

Key things
As mentioned, this is the first update with the new control mechanism. Anyone who has played the game before may take a while to get used to it, but overall I think it's far more intuitive.

By decoupling aiming from movement, the AI is also much more effective too. Therefore the default health of 100 now makes the game really tough. I updated the INI file to set the health higher in my development copy, but when making the release copy, I forgot to move over the changed INI file.

If you find you're getting mercilessly whooped, please set your health in the INI file to 200 or even 300 if you're feeling delicate.

Feedback on the new control mechanism and bug reports would be much appreciated gents!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 10:59
Downloading...

Ravey
Retired TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 11:51
Hi,

I would like to see it a little less old school and implement health regen if out of combat for x time, similar to Halo and CoD. To adjust for this you should die a lot quicker too.

The bots aren't much fun to fight, they are easy enough to avoid and kill, but just stand there never missing if you find yourself surrounded. I would prefer to see them less accurate and trying to dodge / hide / flank you.

I would like the weapons to be picked up as I cross over them UT style and switch automatically to the new weapon if it is an improvement (some people have fave weapons though so this should be an option that can be turned off). Cycling weapons could be done with mousewheel as well as number keys.

A knife would be nice for melee range for a 1 stab kill move.

Dave Milton
TGC Team
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 11:54
Ravey, it's not very often I agree 100% with someone but I agree 100% with all of your suggestions here.

Seconded.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 11:59
Has Ravey hacked baxslash's account?

I too agree with his wise words!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 12:06
If he wanted it to look like me he'd have to use more full stops... can't seem to help myself

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 19:16 Edited at: 1st Mar 2012 19:19
I agree with Ravey 100% too. He is amazing!!!

Edit: Arghh! He hacked my account too.

Health regeneration is now implemented. BOT cleverness is needed but will have to wait for the full version. As I said to Peter, the todo list is longer than Mr Tickles arm. I may find time to implement some dodging and basic kill zone avoidance though.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 01:19
Well I must say the new controls still balances out the melee weapons if the player run in the direction am aiming she/he will move faster, so great work there.

but the AI seems to ignore this rule, running backwards at the same speed as if they moved forwards.

Rockets are easier to dodge with the 8-direction controls, however the AI seems to like to gang on the player even when there are others that are a good distance closer.

Other than that the new controls work well, the demo looks well polished.

As for health, am in agreement with Ravey, some sort of health regen system is needed, but for a TV show that wants to see carnage, players going into hiding after a fight seems rather odd.

A suggestion would be to take the Burnout Revenge's boost bar style health points/bar, this is where for each kill your health bar regen by 100 hit points.

After 3-5 kills the bar doubles in size,then for every streak after that the bar grows to X3 and X4 of the original size, for every 3-5 additional kills.

Now here's the catch the player and AI glow red, orange or black wherever you have a bigger health bar, and become worth more points, if killed.

Whenever the health is above 100, it slowly depletes towards 100,if the player or AI dies they respawn with a normal 100 points health bar.

It's a different technique, but at the same time a bit complex since a streak system would be required first.
MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 02:03 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2012 02:05
New gameplay system is ok - but I feel like the camera correction bias is too acute. A mere suggestion of bias toward the target is enough to achieve the affect you're after. Ala GTA2. Shop around. Also, I don't agree that there is a problem with the level design. I actually think this is one of the demo's strongpoints.

Dynamic resolution: see attached screenshot.

This pic is a 1:1 crop from my 17" 1920x1200 display. All the graphics appear to suffer stretching - which can be fixed with a dynamic screen resolution based on the desktop. The fix won't ruin the camera FOV. This should also fix your pixelation problem with smoother vectors (but I guess you could use a shader).

Your 2D art struggles at this high resolution. Maybe this is just the overall resolution problem making the sprites look "jaggy"?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 09:17
Quote: "but the AI seems to ignore this rule, running backwards at the same speed as if they moved forwards. "

They shouldn't do. I'll look into it. It could be that you're getting shot while chasing them, and all weapons have 'knock back'. So if you're getting shot by someone backing up from you, the impact of the bullets will slow you down. I'll check it out though.

Quote: "however the AI seems to like to gang on the player even when there are others that are a good distance closer."

That shouldn't be the case either. The AI just target whoever is closest, in line of sight, at the right angle etc. and they don't discriminate against who they murder.

Quote: "As for health, am in agreement with Ravey, some sort of health regen system is needed, but for a TV show that wants to see carnage, players going into hiding after a fight seems rather odd."

I've put health regen in for now. I'll having a serious think about health for the full version and figure out what makes the most sense. Your idea is pretty cool, to make health more of a key aspect to the game and almost act as a power-up. So many design decisions to make!

@MMM - The demo you're playing is set to run at 1024x768, irrespective of what you've got going on on your desktop. So if you have widescreen, it'll look stretched, and if you have your high res, it'll look low res. I've switched on desktop resolution support this morning, and everything works fine, with the exception of some camera positioning on widescreen monitors. I'll get that sorted and visuals should look sharper in the next update.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 15:16 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2012 15:19
Some new screenshots (click to enlarge) ...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 15:20
...not enough blood...

...erm, did I post that out loud?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 15:31
Looking at the screenies, I reckon 25% of all pixels are predominantly blood coloured. But I agree. We should aim for 100%.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 19:34 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2012 22:02
Added a new v1.07 play through video. I'm playing with shaders at the moment. The scene looks brighter than this in the actual game, it's just lost some fidelity during various stages of video encoding. However, there's loads of visual tweaking that needs doing, so expect this to look brighter and clearer once 1.07 comes out.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 14:32
Update. Carnage Demo v1.07 online

This is predominantly a visuals update. New decals, resolutions, shades, monitor support etc. Full list:

- Improved blood textures
- All particle levels increased
- Fixed dust haze/debris transparancy issues
- Added health regeneration function
- Desktop resolution now used
- Widescreen monitor support added
- Added customisable 'look ahead' distance to INI file
- Added low-res option to INI file (resort to 1024x768 for performance)
- Added strafe animations
- Fixed crash bug when number of players set lower than 11
- New HUD implemented ('Difference' is the amount of points you are behind the leader)
- Lighting reworked, with new ambient,emissive and specular settings
- Crowd stand blends to darkness
- Per pixel lighting shader added
- 'Use Shaders' option added to INI file

Download from the usual place: Carnage v1.07 (110MB)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 15:06
Since the last time I tried it, the controls are a lot better, they feel a lot more intuitive and it feels a lot more sensible. Good to see some of the improvements implemented. At the moment I can't see any problems. So good stuff chap.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 17:48
Nicely done, Fallout

I've only found one minor issue so far, and it's just that your damage overlay image isn't stretching to fit the widescreen resolution.

And now I will keep playing

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 20:08
@Sep - Good stuff! Must be homing in on a solid demo then. Thanks for continuing to play test it bud.

@Jimmy - Damn you Jimmy and your widescreen monitor! I found that bug when testing on my widescreen laptop, but was hoping I'd get away with not fixing it until the next update. Stupid really ... what's the point of including widescreen support and expecting nobody to use it.

Thanks for playing mate.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 20:47
Funny you should say that. I booted it up in 1024x768 despite my desktop resolution being 1366x768. Though I might give it a go later on my HDTV and see how well it plays on that, though with my little Intel GMA it may chug a bit...if it don't then awesome.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 21:24
Found another widescreen issue that you may already be aware of, but when I'm on the far left or far right of the map, the aiming goes wonky when attempting to fire straight up and down.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2012 21:08
Ahhh, thanks for that Jimmy. That crossed my mind that might happen when I started supporting widescreen, but I didn't test it properly. I'll get that fixed tomorrow. Nice one.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2012 23:23
Fallout, only one thing that bugs me at the moment. If you stand still but rotate your aim the top half of the player moves but not the bottom half. That would be OK if these were robots but very creepy for hooman beans...

Other than that I still hate you. Nice work

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 13:04
Thanks Baxslash. I hate you too; more than you could possibly comprehend!

Good point about the wiggling belly dancer spinal column. I could explain it by saying all competitors of the Carnage game show are required to be half owl, and be able to fully rotate their cybernetically enhanced spines to qualify, but I'll probably just rotate the legs. I'm doing some animation smoothing and correction today, so I'll bung that on the todo list.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 13:14
Quote: "I hate you too; more than you could possibly comprehend!"

Sorry

You got me addicted, I'm just trying to get a perfect hit (so to speak)

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 16:16
Like the control system a lot more although I really need to buy a mouse to play properly. Control pad support would be welcomed although not sure how that would fit in with the control system, dual analogue would be cool but not even sure if DBPro supports that?

Playing with resolution 1600 x 900 the on screen blood effects don't cover the left/right edges.

Also, when I am at the far left or far right of the level the aim suddenly becomes off.

Great fun though, love the weapons and deaths, but I really need a mouse

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 17:19
Quote: "Like the control system a lot more although I really need to buy a mouse to play properly. Control pad support would be welcomed although not sure how that would fit in with the control system, dual analogue would be cool but not even sure if DBPro supports that?"

I had this working with PS3 controllers back in 2009. I can't remember how DBP supports it, but I definitely had both sticks working. For the final version, I'd like to put some sort of gamepad controller support back in though. I think it'd be good, but not sure who'd have the best advantage.

Quote: "Playing with resolution 1600 x 900 the on screen blood effects don't cover the left/right edges.

Also, when I am at the far left or far right of the level the aim suddenly becomes off."

Both those issues fixed in the next version. I didn't test it properly once I'd put widescreen in. Amateur testing! How come you don't have a mouse though Matty? You must have an old USB one kicking around somewhere?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 16:18
I have two very broken mice, oh and a broken desktop computer It's on my to do list to fix/replace as working from a laptop is a bit of a pain.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 15:55
@Matty - Get tinkering! Micro screwdriver, feet up in front of the tele, and start dismantling some mice. Be sure to slouch and mould your jumper into a good 'bit catcher' and you'll be fine.

More to the point though, new version uploading, with full dynamic lighting ...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 15:57
Woohoo!! That looks fantastic

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme
[/spam]

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 16:15
BaxSlash my man, indulge your sordid desire for mutilation here ...

Update. Carnage Demo v1.08 online

More visual updates to shaders, explosions, animations, deathcams etc. The key gameplay update is now movement/turning speeds are determined by your weapon, so by all means own with the minigun, but watch your back!

- Various character animation fixes and smoothing
- Deathcam vertical distortion sorted (scale issues)
- Fixed edge of screen aiming issue on widescreen monitors
- Fixed health blood overlay size issue on widescreen monitors
- Stopped reaper behaviours like trying to get into turrets or waiting for the saw blade
- Added support for cursor key movement
- Added reload button, to reload weapon yourself: R or NumPad 0
- Removed frame limiter (no longer capped at 50fps)
- Character movement and turning speeds now relate to the weapon you're using (slow minigun, fast sword)
- Particle visual improvements on the deathcams
- Deathcams now pan and track
- Removed weapon reloading at game start
- Added Reaper flames to make him more bad ass!
- Modified some soundFX
- Added new Reaper music
- Improved AI target selection
- Added contrast skin enemy character and charred texture
- Added explosion/flame shader based lighting system

Download from the usual place: Carnage v1.08 (90MB)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 16:20
Thought those explosions had been improved

Downloading for pure sick indulgance...

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 21:33
Good lad! Let me know how you get on with the changes to player speeds with different weapons. Hopefully it'll feel fair when you move like a sloth with the minigun!

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 02:35
Solid demo.

Seriously the game plays and looks like a game I would buy from the xbox live marketplace.

One feature that would be nice to have would be a discard weapon function, where you can throw/break a weapon and change back to a pistol. (I'd personally go for breaking the weapon so the player will not be giving away the weapon to an enemy)

As for the reload function, it's useful (especially for the Uzi's) but hard to use without a ammo counter/or low ammo warning of some sort.

Other than that the demo is solid, but I can't help the feeling that the demo is still capped at 50fps until the death cam is used then it runs up to 70fps (120fps at no shader setting) (well that is what Fraps reports) but the effects are pretty, am running it with the max light count.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 08:59
Thanks for the feedback cyril.

Quote: "One feature that would be nice to have would be a discard weapon function, where you can throw/break a weapon and change back to a pistol. (I'd personally go for breaking the weapon so the player will not be giving away the weapon to an enemy)"

Good idea. We discussed this one yesterday, as it's pretty hard to leg it from the reaper if you're holding a rocket launcher. I'm not sure how I'll tackle this one, but I do see the need.

Quote: "As for the reload function, it's useful (especially for the Uzi's) but hard to use without a ammo counter/or low ammo warning of some sort."

Agreed. Some sort of ammo counter is needed, I've just not figured out the best way to do it yet. At the moment I just hit the reload button whenever I have a bit of breathing space, irrespective of ammo count. Always be prepared!

Quote: "Other than that the demo is solid, but I can't help the feeling that the demo is still capped at 50fps until the death cam is used then it runs up to 70fps (120fps at no shader setting) (well that is what Fraps reports) but the effects are pretty, am running it with the max light count."

There's no cap, but the game isn't truly timer based. It'll hit the sync command at regular intervals and once it get's there, there's some code which will skip drawing if it doesn't have time. It's not the best system, but as with everything in this demo, it's just evolved that way as it's come along. The result is, if your comp can't push it to 100FPS, it'll probably smooth it out at 50FPS.

If that sounds all clever, it isn't. It's a bit lame, so I'll be doing it properly for the full version.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 19:02
EPIC!

...only one grip. The player turns way too slow and I have to turn on my gameing mouse's multiplier for the cursor, otherwise it's way too slow to move around the screen at 1920x1080 resolution.

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 19:17
I just played the latest version. One word: AWESOME

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 19:52
@Brendy Boy - Thanks man! More updates coming soon.

@Moonster

You can adjust the cursor sensitivity in the INI file at the moment, if your mouse isn't sensitive enough. I have a gaming mouse too, and I think I have the multiplier up, so that's probably why the default is really low. Tweak the sensitivity and see how you get on. I've literally just finished making a settings menu which will be in the next update, so you won't have to mess around with INI files. The sensitivity will be in there, and will be tweakable mid game.

As for the character turning, do you mean how long it takes for the character to face the cursor? In the newest update, character movement speeds and rotation speeds are related to the weapon. If you have pistols or a hand to hand weapon, you should be able to move and turn lightning fast. When you pick up the minigun, turning and speed are sluggish.

I initially just had speed reduced, but it wasn't enough of a penalty. If you can turn really fast with the minigun, you can still own. With slower turning speed, it becomes more of a balance and you have to watch your back while you lay waste to everything. I'm open to suggestion for getting the balance right though. If people are thinking characters with heavy weapons are turning too slow I can increase it a bit.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 19:49
Carnage Demo v1.09 online

Tweaks across the board, including a new Settings menu, new background vid, all new weapon models, AI fixes etc.

- Added movement to fire lights
- Added settings menu to replace INI file
- Disabled ESC key. Now quit from options menu
- Video memory now flushed to improve start game performance
- Fixed crash bug on game restart due to passing Sparky illegal group number
- Sounds related to the player get a subtle volume increase
- Tweaked death/injury and explosion sounds to be louder
- Updated all weapon models
- Corrected weapon positions in characters hands
- Intro music now fades out after load
- Modified some sounds to have more high frequencies for people playing without a sub woofer
- Fixed player weapon speed settings on changing back from the reaper
- Fixed AI breakdancing "top rock" legs madness
- Fixed AI getting stuck in bottom right section of the map bug (pathfinding)
- Made player respawn location clearer with light and moving invulnerability star
- Fixed tears in level model (sidewall near turret and dumpster)
- Added EXE icon
- Added RMB Pick-up weapon tip to help noobs (first pick-up only)
- 3D no longer visible during menus on widescreens
- Players now spawn with either pistol, dual pistol, shotgun or assault rifle
- Default settings changed to easier skill level and 8 AI enemies
- New menu background video showing updated visuals
- Added AI accuracy variables, so AI are less accuate on easy settings

Download from the usual place: Carnage v1.09 (103MB)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:49:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:49:10