Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A game in 12 days.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 23:32
Please read the entire First post carefully before you start to flame.

I havent back on the forums for more than a few days, I can barely remember the basics but I am going to try and create a small but expandable game in 12 days before my girlfriend comes home from university.

This will be a challenge and a half as I work 7 days a week (I have a business to run, gaming/roleplay shop if anyone is interested). I et home late at least 4 nights a week but I do have the ability to stay up quite late to work for at least a couple of hours most nights. As the girlfriend is away I dont have too much distraction.

I've created this post to signify the start time of the project and will add screenshots and updates daily if possible.

Officially this project started at 10pm GMT (Grenwich Mean). With the production of the first and possibly the only pre-plannig I will do for this project everything else will be done on the fly - with a few bits of code scrbbled in my notebook which i may or may not share.

My Plan:

A trench running game based on an idea from a friend, he holds intillectal copyright on the basic idea, I hold any such rights on the program and any media I create to use in the program..

functioning idea is that it will be a death star style trench run. But with a few major differences. It will be a humanoid character (Marine style) running on the floor. with obsticles in the way which you can obviously dodge but will block line of sight. You wil be ableto run backwards to a certain degree(maybe more if the functionality is there). There will obviously be enemys flying and land based depending on the level. You will however be able to use many of te obsticles to hide behind unlie most trench games. (similar to gears of war and other rp shooters).

Once the basic structure of the game i.e. the trench is built and a basic object can move up and down it. the rest can be put in in segments and shouldnt be too difficult.

Hopefully I havent bitten off more than I can chew but we shall see. 11 days 23 hours and 28 minutes to go.

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Doing the same at the moment for a contest. 12 days is doing it. And i'm working too.

Good luck
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 02:58
11 days 18 hour and about 3 minutes to go.. ( I think)

..Been pottering about while watching tv. and have at least something to show for it. A very basic tranch running and updating.

I dont know how easy it will be for me to add objects into this but after flipping plains over and around for over an hour it will do for tonight. I'm hoping th reason the right wall isnt the same colour as the other is a lighting issue (hopes). Tomorrow a nice placeholder for a player and basic movement controls. I might even see if I can start puting some obsticles and a little collision detection in aswell.[img]null[/img]

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Very interesting!!! And dont work that much,take time for the girl or she might... ... No really, I love such a motivation!!!!!

Animals
Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
I coded an FPS with basic AI and a shotgun weapon in 3 days. 12 should be plenty, go for it
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 13:21
Having to relearn a lot.. couldnt remember how to offset and rotate limbs last night thats ho much i;ve forgotten. I'm gonna get about 2 hours a night on average so i guess 24 hours in total.

The codes already looking a little messy but I was quite tired. but if it means half an hour of clean up then ahalf an hour of reviion and an hour of new code I can cope with that.

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
you might be surprised how quick it comes back to you. I went away from programming for about 4 years, came back and picked up almost where I left off within a few hours. Infact I improved substantially. One of the first things I did when I got back into it was sit down and think "ok, what is the best way to structure this concept". I came up with ways that I never could implement previously, such as building a script engine that loads configuration files, and it able to load config files, from within other config files. i.e.

config1.cfg has a reference inside it to an enemy unit called 'bob'
script engine goes searching known folders for a 'bob.cfg'. bob contains references to 5 other config files pertaining to it's unit model, animation data, particle effects under different scenarios/states, weapons/attack data and so on.
This is all loaded and applied into my game dynamically and all I ever executed was a 'loadscript("config1.cfg")'

Also i've mostly done away with numbering objects, or at least manually typing their numbers. In the example above, 'bob' could be object 8 or 8000. I don't know and I don't care. 'bob' is controlled as 'bob', not as object 8.

I also have a more efficient way to handle data, reducing memory and loading times. If I load a 'bob' which also loads subsequent particle effects, weapon data etc. And lets say we load a 'john' unit, and john shares the same object model and weapon data, but has different particle effects. It will see that the model and weapon data is already loaded into memory, and use it. It will only load the new particle effects as necessary

These sorts of things only came to me in my absence from programming
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 12:41
After a night of swearing at my stupid iphone because it was pretending that it wasnt charging. I got aa very small amount done.

Added a player placeholder got basic left/right forwards/limited backwards movement in and started to add back ground code in ready for enemy characters including placeholder.

All in all not a lot done but at least something.

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 02:46 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2012 02:52
Grr 2nd time posting this. lost my thoughts. stupid browser crashed.

I ahd to reformat the way I produced the actual Trench but in doing so I found strange problem it seems the y plain has flipped so a pluss' make a negative movement and reversed. unless there is a strange issue with my camera.

I've made some headway with storing data for maps so I dont have to hard code the levels but the +/- issue has cost me a lot of time tonight.

i will attach a stripped down exe when this has updated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 01:40
Meh, late night at work. A rant to reply to. I'm not going to get much if anything done tonight. I still need to mull over the Y-plain problem. if peeps could download the little exe on the post above and let me know what the think the problem might be it would be most apreciated. If not I feer I may have to restart it from scratch to try and figure out the problem.. Still feels like it might be a camera issue.

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2012 16:04 Edited at: 4th Mar 2012 16:06
you have to rotate the above plain object. Right now the camera is watching the backfaces. (Or enable invert faces)

Or do you mean because the movement (camera?) is reversed?

Shouldn't be a big problem to fix.
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 22:47
the y-plain of the camera movement is reversed. I ahvent had time to wok on this at all in the last few days as work related things have got in the way.

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 15:26
Still had no solution for this come to me. I will try and have a recode or at least try to figure it out now I've found my hands on books.

Hopefully tonights booster draft wont take long and I can have a couple of hours on this. (If lightwave doesnt get in the way).

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm confused as to how this can be a show stopper. It seems really easy to fix to me

first of all before you make any object, ensure you are using 'autocam off', I absolutely hate autocam
Then position your objects and camera manually. The camera should be rotated to 0,0,0 but just to be sure put it in anyway. There is no way the Y axis will be reversed after that, and you might find that everything else is rendered upside down. As I have a sneaking suspicion that you had autocam on, and it was resulting the camera being rotated 180 degrees on the Z axis when another object was rotated that way

Otherwise if all else fails, why is it such a big deal that the Y axis be in the positive numbers instead of negative numbers? just continue as is with things upside down
Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 19:18 Edited at: 7th Mar 2012 19:28
I must say I like your idea, i'm eager to play it but I couldn't wait any longer , so 3 hours after my last post I present my version written from scratch

I've uploaded the source code, media and compiled exe in a .rar attachment to this message. Simply move the mouse to move the sphere, don't touch anything. Level's start out very slow but quickly build up speed and spawn obstacles faster. Game is written loop independent so should run well regardless of framerate. I've artifically capped it at 100 but it runs at over 1500FPS on my system with sync rate 0

Sorry if i've nicked your thunder but hey use my code to figure out any issue you may be having, then code yours and finish it off. I'm sure it'll be great

edit: source code (requires media)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 00:18
Hah no its ok I was just using it to get back into DB. It will however end up more like a 3d version of r-type but with a humanoid character. The objects are just placeholders.

I like it though

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 02:08
Haha , fixed.. And it was such a stoopid thing. I was getting my z and y plains mixed up so it was like I was going up n down a lift

What a tool I am.. can get back on ith adding stuff now, your example helped though

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 04:48
Day 14.. or should I say night 14. GF has been plonked on the train back to uni with only a few hours delay due to some idiot getting splatted by an earlier train.

A few hours of reworking code and adding a little dimension to the project it has now started to get the feel i wanted.

Major things left to do are replace the placeholder models and get some collision in there. ( which hopefully wont be too hard). The ends to be blocked off and some extra scenerey. Then maybe I can do a very basic alpha relase for people to poke holes in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:52:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:52:38