Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / I wish to create a MMO_World / City Simulator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 05:31
Much like Cities XL is, with there being a planet, but instead you would be able to literally scroll through the world to each city that each user creates. Neighbor connections would be real time, as in not by dragging a road to the edge of the map, but but dragging it to the next city to connect it.

A map of this scale is obviously extremely resource consuming and the average PC cannot handle that, so would it be possible to only have the portion of the world you are currently located at to be loaded at any given time and have objects and geography load and unload as you scroll through the world?

I also want to develop a virtual life simulator on top of this engine of which will allow you to interact with these cities as a citizen, get jobs, buy cars, cruise around, go on missions, ect...

Is this possible with DarkBasic?

Alas mate, after 2,000 years of fighting of briving, the gerbiles be free!!!
*WW3 Begins*
- Don't ask...
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "A map of this scale is obviously extremely resource consuming and the average PC cannot handle that, so would it be possible to only have the portion of the world you are currently located at to be loaded at any given time and have objects and geography load and unload as you scroll through the world?"

Yes. In fact, everything may be procedurally created as you go along. There may be key elements or objects that combine in certain ways to design new objects. For example, a wall object maybe positioned or resized in may different ways to create different structures, or basic building shapes used over and over again with different textures, etc. And for terrain, based on the noise generator it can all be seamlessly combined and endless (virtually) where generator seeds and/or positions within the noise map are the keys that draw the current visuals. You never actually store the entire map but just generate what you need on the fly.

Quote: "I also want to develop a virtual life simulator on top of this engine of which will allow you to interact with these cities as a citizen, get jobs, buy cars, cruise around, go on missions, ect...

Is this possible with DarkBasic?"

It's all possible - but extremely difficult and time consuming to pull off. You would have to program all of the things you want by hand. There are a few libraries and tools out there to help, but you'd have to do the real grunt work; and a lot of it.

Enjoy your day.
ThE AnImAtOr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2012 16:45
I see... would Dark Basic be the best method of undertaking a project like this?

Alas mate, after 2,000 years of fighting of briving, the gerbiles be free!!!
*WW3 Begins*
- Don't ask...
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2012 22:55 Edited at: 15th Mar 2012 22:59
If coding is not your strongest suit, The Game Creators offer an MMORPG creator called Realm Crafter. Take a look at it here:

Realm Crafter

Quote: "would Dark Basic be the best method of undertaking a project like this?"

It really depends on your coding skill level. DarkBASIC itself is a programming language. There are several flavors of DarkBASIC. Here's a few:

DarkBASIC Classic - old language, easy to do simple things, but difficult and lacks the speed to do "heavy" graphics and encoding. You can get by if you take a lot of the burden off of the 3d engine by programming or using custom DLLs.

DarkBASIC Professional - upgraded version of classic with a lot of speed advantages over classic and a whole series of programming tools and aids and a more upgraded version of Direct X . It's still a programming language and you'd have to do the leg work yourself, but there are more tools and plugins available to help you on your way.

Dark GDK - a C++ version of Professional. Adds more speed and flexibility than the BASIC languages. However, you would have to know or learn C++.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 22:33
I advise you not to attempt anything like this in DBC: it can't handle complex procedural generation in real-time; the program would slow to a crawl very quickly.
I haven't fully tested DBP as I've only recently started using it but it seems much more powerful and has the benefit of being a compiled language, rather than interpreted (as is the case for DBC).

This is a gigantic task, even for an experienced programmer, so if you are new to programming I wouldn't expect to be able to achieve this for a long time.
Having said that, this idea incorporates tons of smaller ideas that could be fun to work on independently. You could dive straight into it and learn a lot but be prepared to throw out hundreds of pages of code as you figure out better ways of doing things.

Join DNG today! We are a game development team open to all. Visit our Headquarters to learn more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:43:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:43:34