Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Unity, Flash, or Java

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I think i am going to move to making in browser games but i don't know which one to go with isn't flash the games that you use on website i know unity too but people have to download stuff to play unity so i don't really know.

java you can run too but you have to download stuff for that but most people have java installed on there computer so which should i install Unity, Flash, or Java?

What does Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

KickBack
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait for AGK
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
For what it's worth, you have to install Flash too. I'd go with Java, because I'm not a fan of flash, and you probably have more control than you do with Unity.

Oster200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 04:49 Edited at: 17th Mar 2012 04:55
okay for java do i download eclipse because i want it to run in a browser or do i download java jdk package

edit: btw im runing windows xp very old i know

What does Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 06:14
Avoid flash as its not completely cross platform... I am sure you know this...

Unity... forget it... [no offence intended]

Java... yeah why not... its a versatile language and you can even go for HTML5 too

not to forget you can link to a MySQL [or more] database... and throw in PHP and you are on a roll...

and yeah... Wait for AppGameKit ^^

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 10:11
@ MrValintine how come you don't like Unity? just wondering.

btw if only unity works on linux.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 13:32
Depends what you are looking for, Unity is an excellent toolset and cuts out some of the hard work and you could make some kickass games with it and it will soon export to Flash, but flash isn't that great, but plenty of people still use it and people still play flash games. Just not on their iPads and iPods and other mobile devices and flash can be a bit bloated. But saying that, the flash demos of Unity I've played do not feel all that bloated, nor does some other flash services.

HTML 5 was suggested and it's another good alternative, though I personally don't much about it, except that it performs rather smoothly. AppGameKit will support HTML 5 in a future release so that's worth looking out for.

And Java, well, never tried using it, so I'll leave you to read other people's comments on that.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 21:03
Quote: "@ MrValintine how come you don't like Unity? just wondering."

Heya DevilLiger well... I dislike how it portrays itself as free whereas its kinda a guise...

its simple to figure out after i have said the above... Please work it out

I am still inconclusive regarding the flash on apple products...

[can someone please explain it?]

I did give Unity a go though... but at the time the web player was not easy to setup nor was there much detail in the help documentation... so was unsure if there was anything missing...

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 01:08
Java. For compatibility and power its not going to be outdone!

Quote: "okay for java do i download eclipse because i want it to run in a browser or do i download java jdk package"

You'll need the JDK no matter what IDE you use. It is absolutely necessary!

As for Eclipse, make sure you have the JDK installed before trying to use it. An alternative may be NetBeans, which has templates for browser applets, and also an installer to make sure everything is setup correctly.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 01:27
I'm not exactly sure what the guise is? Unity3D used to be Unity3D indie and that used to cost money. It was a lot cheaper alternative to Unity3D Pro that was directed at indies. Then they released it for free. Yes, there is a requirement as part of the license, but before you download it does prompt you with 3 links, one of which is to see the License comparison, where it makes it clear as to what you're getting without bogging you down in legal jargon...and also links you if you DO want to read the legal jargon.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:21
guise in the sense they restrict the stuff that makes your game worth playing and charging for it... UDK is ploy to the same guise...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:44 Edited at: 18th Mar 2012 02:44
I disagree, you lack some of the more advanced features, but you're looking at missing out on their advanced AI and pathfinding (but you still have the ability to code your own), LoD support, video playback/streaming, Audio Filters, full screen shaders, global illumination, occlusion culling, dynamic shadows, deferred rendering and things like that.

You are still getting stuff to make a worthwhile game, but they need to make money and if you want the extra stuff, pay them said money. But you don't need it to make your game worthwhile playing. You're basically getting a lighter version of Unity that was lower priced, but now free. Kind of like if Maxon released Cinema 4D Base for free but still expect you to pay for the extra modules/packages.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:46
well I am not against it

just dislike it when they say its free when what they mean a free edition... its just bad phrasing lol

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:46
Huh? The free version of Unity 3D is unrestricted when it comes to selling. The only thing it restricts really is the shadows and full screen shaders on the free version. There's no restrictions of the quality of game besides graphics and still can handle and support pretty awesome graphics if you know what you're doing. Unity is definitely worth the $0 that you pay for it...

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:48
haha nevermind... but still the web publishing is it easier now or have you not tried yet?

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:52
The web publishing is still alright, you gotta upload it to an internet server, pretty much works just like any other flash or java game really.

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 02:57
not really... just try it and prove me wrong I would like you to do that bear in mind I tried it over a year ago...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 03:10 Edited at: 18th Mar 2012 03:13
Well Unity3D IS free, Unity3D Pro isn't.

As for the web publishing. I found it really simple back when it was first released for Windows - I was intrigued and downloaded the trial.

Although I was aiming to buy the Unity3D Indie at the time, I didn't in the end as I couldn't spare the cash, but this was a WIP thread I did in the trial, it had a web player (URL no longer works and this was on my old, now dead, laptop) but it was really easy to set up and worked really well, even though I did have an initial problem. This was 3 years ago, so I can't remember what the problem was or the solution, but I remember it being something simple.

However, an upcoming update will allow you to build to flash too.

So all of the power you get with Unity and the convenience and some of the ease can be transferred straight over into Flash.

However, it seems the OP has settled for Java, which of course is a fine choice too.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 03:20
yup I agree Java is versatile when compared

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 03:30
I'm personally deep into AS3 and AIR at the moment which is working wonders for me. Unity is an amazing piece of kit and cuts out a lot of the hard work for developers.
However, if you're serious about creating and selling browser games then you really can only use flash. It's still the forefront of the online market and some of adobes flash player distribution figures are amazing. (if i find them again i'll post them here but it shows that the majority of computers have flash installed) Flash will be around for a few years to come now, whether or not HTML5 overtakes it for the online market then we'll have to see, but as3 is an easy language that is great as a stepping stone towards C# and C++.

However, lately i've been checking out HaxeNME which has been brilliant so far. Definitely worth checking out yourself for cross platform support. However, if you're planning a write once, build everywhere deal and are serious about making money from whatever project that is then unity is definitely worth the investment.
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 05:53
Java gets my vote.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 09:46
I don't understand why everyone's recommending Java these days? What games out there still use Java? Surely Flash is the #1 tool for browser-based games these days.

Quote: "just dislike it when they say its free when what they mean a free edition... its just bad phrasing lol"

I don't understand this complaint, actually. It's quite clearly stated on their site that there's a free version, and then a pro version. Free is free. You don't like that they have a pro version that costs real money?

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 10:00
No its just those that go around saying this is free that is free... I got nothing against paying but a little vlarity is a small order ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:09:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:09:37