Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Unnamed Horror Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 06:53 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 05:22
Unnamed Horror Project

Developer: Astek

Story (still W.I.P):

Description:

My goal is to make a game that will run smooth on low-end systems and deliver an "old-school" feel. I intend to deliver a solid game that delivers an experience worth soiling your pants over. With many failed projects in the past, I plan to take what I've learned and make this game a true masterpiece. If I can do everything just right, this will be a game you will have a hard time playing in the dark. I'm going for a straight "scare me senseless" approach with this project. Adventure game-play elements will be included but I intend to keep the hardcore puzzle side of things on a leash.

-I'VE RE-DIRECTED THE GAME STORY-

Comments are welcome forum.

PC Specs: AMD X4 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Win. 7 Pro 64 Bit
SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 09:49
Let the soiling in my pants begin! Haha. To be honest, the horror genre is quite popular on FPSC which makes it rather repetitive but the differentiating factor is that you are the creator of this game. So I have no doubt that you can deliver ASTEK.

When will we see a more indepth storyline?

Landman

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 12:20
while it looks okay, and I like the custom buildings, I'd like to see more atmosphere in the lighting from this.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 17:22 Edited at: 21st Mar 2012 18:55
Quote: "while it looks okay, and I like the custom buildings, I'd like to see more atmosphere in the lighting from this."

That I can see reason with. However, if I fill up my map with random buildings and such to do that, I will hit my memory cap in no time. I'm striving to stay around 80 FPS for the entire game. I also find the style to fit what I've wanted to do for so long. Also, I'm only in early development and I have more areas to add in the level you see here.

Quote: "To be honest, the horror genre is quite popular on FPSC which makes it rather repetitive but the differentiating factor is that you are the creator of this game. So I have no doubt that you can deliver ASTEK."

Thank you. I'm trying to get away from that "FPSC feel" however. I want to play with the geometry and make this game something that is to be remembered.

Quote: "When will we see a more indepth storyline?"

I'm going to have to test some ideas first before I can do that. I think I know where I'm going with this, but I cannot be too certain.

And for those who are wondering if Escape the Bunker will see a release, you can rest assured it will. I'm just needing to get more feedback from my testers.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 21:28
Quote: "I'm striving to stay around 80 FPS for the entire game."

oh awesome seems like NO ONE ELSE EVER TRIES TO DO THAT,

but when I say lighting atmosphere, I mean colour. the colour seems very bland. I'd like to see more atmosphere, and maybe replace some of the lamplights with firelights, or windows lit up, or moonlight. the whole scene would look nice if it was washed out with a blue moonlight I bet.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 22:37 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2012 22:45
Quote: "oh awesome seems like NO ONE ELSE EVER TRIES TO DO THAT,"

And I'd like to report that I've gotten a decent sized outdoor map with the frame-rate sitting at 80-79 average.

Quote: "but when I say lighting atmosphere, I mean colour. the colour seems very bland."

Noted. I'm not going for uber-realism. What I find makes a scary game is the absence of all explanation. The feeling of not knowing. I'm not going for graphics power in this game or the "realism" factor. Also, I've washed out a lot of the textures on purpose as that is the style I'm going for. I'm currently experimenting with a few things. I can reveal that the setting of the game takes place in Europe or perhaps in a fictional city.

Thanks for the comments. I know that what you have mentioned refers to your own personal style. I'm trying to play on a different style here and I'm liking what I'm doing at the moment. I am open to suggestions however; I may be shown something I didn't think of before.

TESTERS WANTED:

I'm playing with variables in this game and I'm trying a system of traveling levels. It's getting complex and I'm not sure how its going to handle on other people's machines.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 22:38 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2012 23:18
Quote: "And I'd like to report that I've gotten a decent sized outdoor map with the frame-rate sitting at 80-79 average."

same with WWC. it's so much better than a crammed-with-crap outdoor level that has too many characters and polygons and scripts running, causing framerates lower than my cat's age

ALSO: you got skype or MSN?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2012 01:14 Edited at: 11th Apr 2012 07:45
Early take on the subway (OLD DELETED WORK):

I will show more as I get further into developing the map.

Quote: "ALSO: you got skype or MSN?"

Stopped using them a long time ago but I will create a new one soon.

EDIT: Just got a new Skype name. Add DailyBrandGames.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
YAY! Double-Post:

I've scratched my earlier version of the subway. It seemed way too fake for me to try and pull off.

So now I give you a look at the newer subway:

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2012 22:07
I can test if you need me to.

On another note, where exactly did you get those buildings and ground from?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can test if you need me to."

Specs? I wan't lower spec machines for testing.

Quote: "On another note, where exactly did you get those buildings and ground from?"

They are custom segments for this game. I made them with royalty-free textures myself.

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2012 06:45
Mmmm I guess i'm out. AMD FX-8120 8 core. 8gb ram. Nvidia 680. The works...

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2012 08:08
New subway looks great. I like the style, it's plain, but in a good way. It's not over grungy, or under detailed.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't help but feel someone has been playing some Cry of Fear lately.lol Looks good.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 05:51 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 01:43
Quote: "I can't help but feel someone has been playing some Cry of Fear lately.lol Looks good."

Using plenty of pictures from that game as a reference. It's really the approach I wanted to take all along. I'd rather base this game on a European country but nothing extremely close to England. The Swedish theme is pretty cool in my opinion. I'm not saying that this is the country I'm basing the game's story in however.

UPDATE: I've gotten the story synopsis almost completed. I'm also ready to unveil the decided name of the game.

COULD A MOD PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE TO: [X9] The Witching Hour

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
The Subway Update

Well, its not 100% but here is a small update. I haven't been working on this game as much as I've needed to. However, this small break has given me some pretty good ideas for the town area. I should be continuing my work and showing more of the game in the future.

Comments and criticism welcome.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 06:20
"work" "working" "needed" It shouldn't be a chore ASTEK

Excuse me, I can't find sleep tonight so I hang on the interwebs...

I was a bit skeptical about the minimalistic look at first but A) this works best in FPSC and B)...that subway looks really good!!

This image however ... I really don't like it. It has too many lightsources...or maybe the lightsources don't fit. Especially the small one with the buttons on the side. To me, this doesn't fit the room.

Anyway! This looks like its going to be one of the more interesting FPSC titles so I will follow its development with anticipation

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Wolf for all the great comments. I do want to point out that I have since revised the subway. The old picture you are referring to is now a deleted map. It was based upon nothing and therefor unrealistic. Its scrapped now. So no worries.

I'm also a little bored myself so I'm going to drop two more pictures. 1 is showcasing some nifty 5-minute photoshop work and the other just another view of the departing zone.

Mmmm. Tasty. Surge has got nothing on this drink.

Just a little view at the subway map.

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 04:46 Edited at: 13th Apr 2012 04:47
In the first few screens, the lighting is too monotonous in my opinion. It lacks a somewhat 'immersion factor.' The rest has pretty good lighting!

The subway station kind of reminds me of a place in Max Payne, which is a good thing!

I like the fact that you are optimizing the maps to aim for a decent framerate, rather than randomly cluttering the entire map with unnecessary framerate guzzling stuff!

By the way, how much of the level-cap memory is being allocated?

Abdul Ahad

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Can a mod please lock this thread? This game is now irrelevant.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 19:05:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 19:05:59