Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Airline Sharks ! - has been released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2012 19:21
Greetings everyone. Well, it has been a great learning experience, and I think a true testament to the Dark Basic language in general. Using the DarkGDK.net package and Visual Studio 2008 (VB.NET), I have completed my new 3d board game called "Airline Sharks". This game is an aviation/airport themed financial game with monopoly-type gameplay. 1-6 players choose from 12 different airlines and start at the central "airport hub". Surrounding the hub are satelite airports divided into 6 regions (A-E). With each turn, you move around the board to lease airports. Once you acquire any complete region, you can expand each airport through the construction of 3 passenger terminals and an air traffic control tower. The impact of these additions raises the amount of revenue your competition will pay you in rental payments when stopped at your airports. The goal of the game is to acquire all of the airports and dominate the airline industry with your chosen airline. This is a family oriented game and offers hours of play. It can be a single player against AI opponents, or 6 humans can battle it out. For demo purposes, I set all players as AI and let it run. After 3 hours, the strongest player had attained 75% of the leases with $1.5 million USD and 3 players had filed bankruptcy. For more information, or to order, visit

http://www.atcsimulator.com/airline-sharks.htm

Russell B. Davis/aerostudios
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2012 22:18
Looks very impressive! Good luck with it

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 00:46
thanks, I'm ready to create even better apps now!

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 16:49
This should make the newsletter, nicely done.

Is there a demo mode? If not implementing one might help reach a
larger audience.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 02:25 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 02:26
I just released Airline Sharks as a 14 day trial version.
Anyone who would like to play it can find it here:

http://www.atcsimulator.com/Sharkstrial.htm

Enjoy!

tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 02:26
The game looks like it has really good potential but for a price like $30 I dont think im in. Id suggest lowering it somewhere between 0-10 dollars, heck maybe even free. But thats up to you, good work and keep it up!

-Tokyomage

Did you know that water is wet? - "The more you know"
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 03:02
free? surely you're joking.

tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 15:54 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 20:25
Not joking, more of a suggestion but its just my idea. The game looks like it has had great work put into it but $30 is just too much for something like this. Maybe 0-10 dollars but 30...no. The concept is amazing and I think some will buy if you change the price. Keep up the good work.

-Tokyomage

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 20:10
@Tokyomage: That game targets a certain niche. People are willing to spend 30$ on it .

Ontopic: aerostudios: Lovely, congrats on finishing it, and best of luck with the sales.
tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 00:11
@zapakitul
Yeah, I noticed that it really wasn't my kind of game. My friend though t it was cool though so your right, and also this game looks amazing even if it isn't the game for me.

-Tokyomage

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 02:52 Edited at: 17th Apr 2012 02:53
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. Whether or not Sharks makes a lot of money, I learned a lot from it. I'm now moving on to finish the air traffic control tower game I started a few years back. The official website for it is

http://www.towercab.com

The interface in Sharks was deliberate practice for this new sim. My 60,000 customers will definitely want this one.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The game has a nice style, and is the sort of game that I like to play, and a similar sort of game to the games that I write. So good luck!

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 07:16
Looks good aerostudios!

The only thing that immediately jumped out at me that could be improved(without playing it) was the pixellation of the ground texture. It seems like it's getting stretched quite a bit.

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 15:15
Agreed! I created the scene in 3d Studio Max 9. The ground texture does not appear that way in the 3ds IDE, just in the game. I exported to an ".X" format and am not sure why the ground texture is behaving like that. The one thing different is I am using a .DDS format file for the texture, whereas all others are .PNG or .JPG. Perhaps that is a bug. I never could figure it out. So, it isn't terrible, but I am aware of it. I will probably avoid DDS files in the future for tiled textures.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 23:33
What might have happened is that in 3DSMax, it's set to tile in the material. The thing is that DBPro doesn't automatically tile an image across a plain. Something that will force it to tile the texture would be something like:

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 23:47
You may be right. I may need to save the terrain as a seperate object and texture it using DB code. I think that part of the scene is the only object being tiled. Thanks for the tip.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks fantastic

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:47:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:47:49