Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [x9] The Fantastic Adventures of Doctor Jeremiah James and Bob Corvine

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 00:20 Edited at: 21st Dec 2012 04:45
I will no longer be updating this thread. Thanks for those few who were following the work on this game. I am continuing working on the game so it's not that I have given up or quit on it or RPG Mod.

This Game Uses RPG EdMod

* I'm not sure who created the above banner; but, I believe it was the talent of either Blackfox or Bluefox when they were helping me with RPG Mod back in the day.

Prologue

The Fantastic Adventures of Doctor Jeremiah James & Bob Corvine: Time Travelers Extrodinaire

When the Universe needs help, the doctor is there. Whether to save a whole planet, an entire solar system/Universe, repair the time-line, or defeat the forces of evil.

REQUIRED

1.) Name of Game: The Fantastic Adventures of Doctor Jeremiah James and Bob Corvine: Time Travelers Extrodinaire

2.) Developer name: Terry R. Cox

3.) x9 v1.20 beta 2 - r678 with RPG Mod v6.3.00

4.) Storyline: This game was conceived while watching the popular SciFi show Dr. Who. I will not have any exact replications of stories or characters, however, I may take bits and pieces and intertwine them to make my own story. The TASDIM (Time And Spatial Dimensions Interactive Machine) is where the player will decide on which adventure to take. He will not have to take these adventures in consecutive order. This is one of my favorite features of RPG Mod. I use the "quest" feature to identify each of these adventures and there will be -- more than likely -- two to four levels for each quest; although, there could be some that are just one level.

The game starts out in the TASDIM where the Doctor returns from his last adventure. He is met by Bob and is told that he had received an audio message for help. The Doctor knows approximately where the message was from and he quickly goes into his hyper mode and is off to setting the TASDIM in motion. Soon he (the player) will be at the destination where the game will start.

Bob Corvine is the companion to Jeremiah James -- the Doctor. He was found on another planet. The TASDIM can not only travel through time and dimension but can travel through space as well. Bob is much like a wizard. He can do amazing things and the player will find out as he plays the game what these abilities are. The player finds out almost immediately that he can disappear and that most of the time Bob will do whatever it is he pleases to do.

The Doctor has three wands (RPW - Rythmical Power Wand) available to him and they are color coded. Blue, green, and red. Each wand provides specific needs and abilities.

OPTIONAL - Screen Shots

Inside TASDIM - Click on Thumbnail for larger images.

I redid my websites and unfortunately lost my pictures on the server. I will update whenever I can. Sorry.

Outside TASDIM - Click on Thumbnail for larger image.

Bob Corvine - Click on Thumbnail for larger image.

Level #2 - Click on Thumbnail for larger image.
To see the darker images you might want to enlarge the image.

OPTIONAL - Videos

The following videos are made with FRAPS v3.2.3 build 11796.

Level #2 - Start of Quest "The Argarian Invasion of Earth." - Added new videos 7 Apr 2012

Part 1
Part 2

What I am doing here is getting the player up to speed of what is going on and what is expected of him later on. Especially when asking questions and making conversation. I'm not sure if I have accomplished this, however.
I might make changes to the text. Using RPGmod it is real easy to make these changes. I'm not sure I like how Bob, "the wizard" sounds grammatically. Any suggestions are welcome.

Using RPW

The following is within the reception area. Descriptions for both videos are found on youtube.

Part 3
Part 3a

Part 3b

OPTIONAL - Credits

Note: I do not take credit for any of the models used. All have been made by TGC or other Third party modelers.

* Cosmic Prophet - Teleporter used as Time Machine (TASDIM)
* Decneo (KoKo) - Created Bob Corvine, the time traveler
* Nbt - The RPW: Rhythmical Phase-Wand(aka sonic screwdriver), Office Segments and doors
* Nbt - The Panel - this is going to be very important for the game :wink wink:
* Starmind - The bubbly tube in the TASDIM
* Starmind - The aliens.
* BeFun - SciFi Segments
* anayar - 3 from overlay pack (envelopes, efolder1, and enote2)
* Gunn3r - Music - Electrica #1 (Intro)

* If anybody recognizes their work please let me know so I can give credit

Contact Info

Use the email link below.

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 00:29
Pictures aren't working for me

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 00:36
Sorry, I don't have them yet as there have been changes. I forgot to delete the sub-titles.

I'll have not only pics but youtube videos.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 00:47
Can't wait for them and videos. I'm interested in this project

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 01:35
I just uploaded several screenies. They are in first post. I hope you like them Beno09. Of course, I will take helpful critiques.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 01:49
YEEEEEESSS!!!! It's back!!!! So glad to see this making a return, my favourite WIP of all time!!

Really looking forward to seeing more progress

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 03:09
hmmmm... Doctor who? Anyways looking nice keep up the work

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no affiliate links thanks
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 17:54 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 18:04
I added a youtube video. Level #2, Part 1 (the beginning). You may find it in the first post under videos.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 18:14
I think Bob's grammar is fine. It reflects the fact that the Professor is the 'smart' one, and Bob, his not-so-smart assistant.

You could maybe make more of a joke about it, alongside not being able to control him properly all the time...

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Great to see this back Terry, looking forward to seeing it develop.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
nice to see this back.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 23:05
Thanks guys. I have made some progress but I'm trying to redo some video and screen shots of what I have already done and many have already seen. Of course, there have been some changes.

I uploaded another video and is available in the first post. It is Part two of Level 02.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 05:33
I uploaded a batch of images from level #2. You can see them in the first post.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 17:13
Nice work. I seem to remember in the old thread someone said you weren't very good at level design. Well, I think those latest screenshots well and truly prove them wrong!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 18:15
Thanks Bruce. Yea, I remember that comment as well. However, I did take that into account and I think I have improved.

For anybody wanting to use RPGmod, you have to realize there will require a lot of tweaking that will need to be done even on the simplest of things. I always have realized that but for me (because of age) it does take even that much longer. Hopefully, I'll have a another video or two soon.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 18:24
Quote: "However, I did take that into account and I think I have improved."

My own opinion was that your design wasn't that bad back then, but with everything in life, there's always room for improvement

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 18:59
Quote: "I seem to remember in the old thread someone said you weren't very good at level design."

I recall that as well, but my opinion is that there are too many people who have opinions that think their opinion is correct. If people put more effort into creating their own games and less on their "opinions", then more commercial/non-commercial games could be created and released.

Quote: "My own opinion was that your design wasn't that bad back then, but with everything in life, there's always room for improvement"

A lot of work goes into designing a game, and knowing how RPG Mod is designed to setup, I know it takes a lot of work and persistence to get it working. The original design was fine, I certainly saw nothing wrong with it. This one looks great as well. I like the looks of it- it is clean and certainly needs little improvement from my perspective. I'm curious to see how this one goes, knowing Dr. Who very well.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 19:12
Quote: "A lot of work goes into designing a game, and knowing how RPG Mod is designed to setup, I know it takes a lot of work and persistence to get it working. The original design was fine, I certainly saw nothing wrong with it. This one looks great as well. I like the looks of it- it is clean and certainly needs little improvement from my perspective. I'm curious to see how this one goes, knowing Dr. Who very well."

Indeed Mr Fox, I didn't really word my last comment very well did I? lol

I went and made it sound like I thought the game needed improvement, thus falling into the trap of sounding like the person who made the 'not very good at level design' comment!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 20:56
Thanks for the kind comments Blackfox. I really appreciated them.

Bruce, I didn't take it as a comment that it needed improvement. I took it as a response to me when I mentioned that I took some of those old critiques into consideration. No problem here.

I have just finished making an update to RPG Edmod and so I will be finishing the portion of the player being in the reception room soon. My next post hopefully will be letting you know about a video of this.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 21:31 Edited at: 18th Apr 2012 21:31
Quote: "No problem here."

Phew! Like I said in my Seclusion thread, I do tend to be a bit paranoid about offending the people around here that I like!

On topic; looking forward to the next update

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 18:11 Edited at: 20th Apr 2012 18:13
A new video Part 3a has been added in the first post. I still need to change the Title, The Doctor's Stuff to The Professor's Stuff. And that won't be a problem because it is text and not part of the graphic image or hud. The same goes with changing the "Yup?" to "Yup!". It is all text and therefore I don't have to create a new hud.

Addendum:

The blue text on the bottom of the screen is the player thinking or talking to him/her self. If the player is talking out loud then the text will go into the talk box at the top of the screen.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 22:22
Very good stuff indeed.

You know, I've been wracking my brains, and I honestly can't think of any other 3D-FPS-Point&Click-Adventure-RPG that's ever been developed before. Sure there's the likes of Deus Ex and System Shock et al, but even they don't have the same features as this game does! This is most definitely ground-breaking stuff!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 00:06
I'm back. I am developing this in an unorthodox manner. I don't have anything written out. Just making it up as I go along. The first part of Level 2 is for the player to interact with three characters before the player gets through the main door that will lead to other challenges. I have finished completing the interaction with the receptionist and now am working on the interactions with the younger security guard. I have some of the talk box text finished and now I just need to script it.

@Bruce Thanks for the feed back. One reason it probably is more "ground-breaking" is because I haven't actually played any particular RP game. I knew that most of them were created more in the 3rd person perspective. I remember a game my daughter always played called Kings Quest. It was a 2D in a 3D looking environment -- I think.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 02:57
Yes, the whole King's Quest series is available on Steam now...

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 13:49
As soon as I finish the interaction with the security guard in the reception area, I'll build a stand-alone for this part of it. I might include the TASDIM (level 1). That would be good, I think. This will only include everything through the interaction with the security guard. Your trying to get through the door he's guarding.

I sure wish I could get a hand-gun holster on his waste. Hint, hint. Anayar, Ched, you watching this thread? Or anyone who could do a fast re-texturing, if it's possible. :LOL:

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
One of the more imaginative games I will be keeping my eye on

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 18:59
Your wish is my command. Shoot me an email. It might take a day because of a boatload of my cousins grad parties I've been invited to but I'll try my best.

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 22:34
I love this! You are very talented. I see I have so much to learn.

Can't wait to see more.

Life is a short trip to another world
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 06:25
Thanks Meows. I'm getting close to providing a short demo for those interested in playing.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 07:17
Hope you got my email mate and sorry for the delay

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 05:29
This video I call Spell Gauntlet.

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 14:15 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 14:17
door activated.

very cool mechanics, flatlander. i loved the text adventures back in the 80s on my amiga, do you use keyword-sequences to get the responses or is it enough to call the right words without any order? i really would be interested in seeing the scripts. when you do this in vanilla, it would be a catastrophal amount of variable-check-rows.^^

very dr. whoish, very zak mckrackenish > very cool. a lovely demonstration what rpg-mod is capable to do. move on, "old man".

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 18:09
Brilliant stuff!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 19:03 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 19:08
Thanks Bruce.

@ mayo76

Quote: " do you use keyword-sequences to get the responses or is it enough to call the right words without any order? i really would be interested in seeing the scripts"

The first thing you have to do is setup stuff for the game engine to have. This might end up being the most complicated part of scripting. The information derived from this script is placed in either arrays or custom variable types within the game engine.

The following is not necessarily a tutorial but just to give you (or anybody else who is interested) an idea of how this needs to be scripted.

To answer your first question from above. It is based on keywords but they do not have to be in sequence. You can make as many keywords as possible. The more keywords the more difficult for the player. My belief is to make things a little more easier for the player in the beginning. And as you continue with the game you can start making things more difficult. So, let's take when the janitor confronts the player asking him what he's doing there. During the conversation with Bob and the Professor (see the video Part 1) they agreed to pose as a telphone repairman. I had only two basic keywords in the response with variations of those two keywords. Here is the script to let the engine know what the keywords are:

Here are the keywords outside of the above code as the above is confusing to look at.

rpg_playerinput_keywords=telephone-phone-repairman-bt-engineer

As I said this is not a tutorial; but, if you have experience as a programmer, you should kind of get the idea of some of the data that is needed.

For conversations you need to set up the text that is involved with the conversation. The following is that setup for the janitor, receptionist, and young security guard. As you peruse through the text you will notice not all of it is used in the example video. That's because there are more than one outcome.

There are actually four chat types:

* talkBox (1) - standard
* talkBoxquestion (2) - When character asks a question that needs a response from the player
* talkBoxsellitem (3) - when player wants to sell an item to a character
* talkBoxbuyitem (4) - when the player is negotiating buying an item from a character

Most of the Chat types above are #1 OR #2. However, there is one that is a chat type of #4.

Now for those who are programmer, the following is the code that I used to take input and then check all the keywords. Of course those who are not programmers need to look at it to see that you didn't have to code this. So be sure and check the actually script. that follows this code.

Here is the script between the Janitor and the player.

The above script takes care of all the possibilities. If it was just the one possibility it would be much shorter, however, there is also the selling of the paper with odd writing on it to the player as well as the player not telling the janitor correctly that he is a phone repairman.

Hopefully, maho76, you will find this interesting.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 23:19 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 23:21
The next update will not be done on this thread for a long time now. Not too many people are viewing and especially responding. I want to spend most of my waking hours working on the game now.

Some may think there are quite a few views but the last time this WIP was the the forum I had thousands of views. By the time it was locked it was around 20,000 I believe.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 00:59
Quote: "The next update will not be done on this thread for a long time now. Not too many people are viewing and especially responding. I want to spend most of my waking hours working on the game now.

Some may think there are quite a few views but the last time this WIP was the the forum I had thousands of views. By the time it was locked it was around 20,000 I believe.
"

I understand about the views and responses, or lack of, but please don't keep us completely in the dark. Some of us have really enjoyed following this game's progress. It's still my all time favourite WIP...

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 02:36 Edited at: 4th Jul 2012 07:56
I'll make sure that those who are interested will be able to keep up with my updates or more specifically the WIP.

BTW, I'm going to have to change the name of the game back to

The Adventures of Dr. Jeremiah James & Bob Corvine -- Time Travelers Extraordinaire

because I found the banner that someone had made for me. It might have been Anayar but I'm not sure. I'm not going to let that go to waste.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 08:05
This is looking great. I can relate with the amount of time being spent, having worked with RPG Mod myself, and it is a tremendous feeling to see the finished result on a level or particular feature work out to its fullest potential. Nice job.

I would not worry about the number of views versus the amount of comments. There are those of us that love games like this, and I know that there can be some ideas spawned/lessons learned from seeing work like this. Don't give up on it or get discouraged. This WIP is very interesting to follow and I for one am enjoying the ideas/concepts/designs being presented.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 11:30
F l a t l a n d e r

I also would love to see this project develop further although I do not intent to be around so much as I have been, I will still look in from time to time and take a look on its progression.
I too have been discouraged from the lack of replies just lately but I would like to think that you can rise above this.

To date, I haven't seen any other projects (I might have missed something so please excuse me) which have the same level of RPG elements working smoothly as those in your project which I enjoy seeing with every new post you place here.
As BlackFox has stated above, a lot can be learned from just studying the methods you are using in your project and I for one have learnt a lot from viewing ideas from others which can be adapted and improved with each new FPSC update.

All the very best of luck for the future.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 16:35 Edited at: 5th Jul 2012 16:39
thanks for the explanations, flatlander. as i thought totally insane scripts to do for this, means you=hero (if not, minimum a hard worker ).

dont be angry about the response here, you know that the traffic is not that high as on other sites or in the past (as i heared of). by the way the traffic also counts google-search for keywords, so it has no validity at all. do the wip in a pace thats profitable for your project to get people in interest, even if it takes some time. its nothing bad for a project that is planned for building in a year (or more) to not update once a week with little steps, after launching the wip you have to fade updates down until you can present a demo or real alpha-trailer (many different aspects of the prog) with a big bang, just out of marketing behavior.
go your own pace, also for presentations, but ... dont forget us.^^

this is a very interesting thingy, especially for presenting the abilities of rpg-mod, wich is definitely your baby i think.
i talked to chris c. to enter rpg-mod for some aspects of my game(good to get a good handshake to one of the coders for help ), THIS is the last push to get into it.

have fun & thanks again.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 13:23
Hey Flats,

This is a great looking game.

Don't let the lack of responses put you off. Do this game for yourself. When I make a game I do it for me and no-one else. If I get a good response from the community then this is a bonus and get help with the motivation, but you should want to finish the game because you enjoy it.

Yeah Maik, RPGmod is Terry's baby, I'm just the foster parent for it I'm adding what I can, when I can and trying to keep it up to date with the latest source.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 15:44 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 15:46
True the response versus thread update stuff. Lots of people would love a game like this. The forums seem kind of dead since the past few years. I think "few replies" is just common now. This game is brilliant. I love games like this but unfortunately I'm too lazy to try and 1 man team something like this. Haha. However, I do have my own style to attend to and other people are just suited for a certain game.

I'm not really advanced in variable scripting and I tried RPG mod but it just made my head hurt. Since you understand it, I can't wait to see what else you are cooking up with RPG mod as well.

Best wishes!

PC Specs: AMD X4 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Win. 7 Pro 64 Bit
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 22:24
Looks like you put a lot of hard work into this game. Keep it up!
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 04:26
Just checking to see how this game development is going. Knowing RPG Mod well and this development from past, we've been waiting with anticipation for more screens and development.

Hope everything is going well and working out. We would not like to see this development die out.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 14:47
Thanks BlackFox for checking into this thread.

My hard drive crashed and it took awhile to get things going again. I am now up and running. I will be posting something new sometime in the near future. For the most part I will not be doing much in the forums except this thread.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 14:52
Welcome back T!

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 19:47
Always look forward to seeing new stuff in this thread

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 22:34 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2012 22:34
The following video isn't totally new. There was a couple of changes and I decided to have the player navigate the reception area before going into the mystery hallway. It is a mystery because all of the doors are locked and the blue (might change it to red) RPW doesn't work on any of them. That alone is partial clue as to who the Doctor might be dealing with; along with the fact that the Security guard knew his name as well as the green RPW not working on him. There will be many clues but I haven't really worked on them yet. There is a way to continue out of the hallway and this along with the clues is what I will now be working on.

As the game progresses -- even in this level which is the first quest -- the game will require the human player to figure more things out as well as solving puzzles and the clues he has gotten. For example, I did not give the human player a hint as to how to use the blue RPG in order to unlock the door. In the video, I just went ahead and did it. There is information about each of the inventory items as shown with the green RPW.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 15:53
Quote: "It is a mystery because all of the doors are locked and the blue (might change it to red) RPW doesn't work on any of them. That alone is partial clue as to who the Doctor might be dealing with; along with the fact that the Security guard knew his name as well as the green RPW not working on him."

The plot thickens!

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 17:33
F l a t l a n d e r

As per useual the video clip looks great and shows a lot of interactivity which is a refreshing change for an emmersive game.

One thing bothers me slightly which is 'why does the Player not use the Spell Guantlet in the first place' to get rid of the guard and receptionist?
It just seems to make the events which happen before the guantlet is used to be slightly unessassary.

Great stuff though.

All the best of luck to you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:07:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:07:33