Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Kezzlas introduction to modelling

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2012 05:40
Hi all, I've been playing with ac3d demo and I am really impressed with what it can do. I've finally found some 3d modelling software that I find intuitive and simple to use(and cheap). I'm getting the full version when I got cash. anyway, here are some models I have made using it.

they are extremely basic as I am a beginner, but they are all stepping stones.

here's a machete

and a temple

I'm still on the basics now, but I'm working on a humanoid head model at the moment which is starting to really look like a head with facial features. Ill post that one too when it looks a bit better.

anyway, I'll be posting here a bit more from now on as I'm working on improving my modeling skills and this seems the place to be for learning.
cheers.

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2012 07:46
Looking good mate

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2012 11:16
Thanks fuzz, I am really impressed with ac3d, I finally feel at home with a 3d modeling program. I have even worked out the UV settings which is great to say the least. I feel like I have taken a giant leap forward this week, the next puzzle to solve will be skeleton animation. ive read about some recommended software for working with skeletons. just gotta try it out. expect posts 3d forum!
till then Ill keep sharpening my modeling skills. all very exciting, especially since i have been very much focusing on my coding side of game creation. to be able to take control of the visual element is awesome.
This is cool!
please share any criticism of any model i make, Id rather be bluntly corrected than fumble aimlessly and stumble upon clarity.

thanks all
kezzla
kezzla

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 09:47 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 09:49
new attempt to add to my thread.

here is a head model. this is my first attempt to build a nice looking human head.

I will admit, this guy looks like he was dropped as a baby and had a long career as a crap boxer. but it's the best head Ive made so far.

I'm beginning to work out how to get the lines of contour.(I'm not from a modeling background so i dont know the technical terms that would be used) eg. finding the lines of the face and aligning the vertices with those lines to get better results for sculpting.

I see professional models and am really very impressed by the accuracy of these contour lines. It is something to strive for.

If anyone has advice on how to achieve this fluently I would like to hear about it.
at the moment, i start with a box and subdivide, moving groups of vertices to key points in the reference photo.
then subdivide more and add some more detail. i find that getting the shapes is reasonably easy for the x and z planes. its the corners that I have trouble with. eg, where the cheekbones are or between the back of the head and the ear.
I also find that I end up with excess vertices through quad division. I can snap them i guess.
anyway, I still dont have enough of a clue to ask clear questions.
so please share any thoughts or critiques that will help me learn.
thanks

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Good going Kezzla, keep it up.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 04:44 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2012 04:44
Joan of Arc tutorial is an awesome one. Also, topology still gives me nightmares.

Anyway, it's a good start, I like the head, nice use of the photographic texture . Also, here's another useful tutorial for 3D characters that I quite like:

http://www.nevercenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Character_Modeling_by_Tony_Jung_Part_1

Basically if you prefer box modelling over polygon modelling.

Or why not try both - J of A is a female tut and that one is a male one...a rather muscular male at that, but it is good for getting an idea of muscle structure and the right topology there.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 07:47
Thanks for the tutes guys, been trying to do the joan of arc tute but keep ending up with crap. I'll keep trying and get it together in the end.

anyway, had a break while I got some programming done and got back to the modeling today.

here's a low poly guitar.

no machine heads, more aiming for low poly than great realism.

thanks for the encouragement guys.

kezzla

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 11:08
Looking good so far. One thing to note is that the faces with more than 4 verts (the machete blade, the big bit of the guitar) are converted into tris somewhere down the line before the model is rendered. You would probably be best to convert these yourself before finishing your model so you can control the shape and number of polys that fill the gap.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 13:50 Edited at: 16th May 2012 13:51
The head looks like Jason Stratham. I like the guitar. It would be cool to make a virtual band, a music track, and a light show. That's a good team project.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 22:39
Nice work Kezzla.
Yes, Ac3D is extremely easy to work with. I too stopped pulling my limited hair out once I got the hang of Ac3D.

And Here Is A Penguin:
FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 10:15
thanks all.

@bobochobo - cheers mate, will definitley remember that in my next model

@pincho - cheers man, It is a nice guitar, very unique, I have only ever seen two like it (even on the internet), its funny I nearly got in a fight once when I was competing in a local battle of the bands, and i saw a guy from another band playing what i thought was my guitar. turns out that was the other of the two in existence.

its a samick but still a nice guitar.

virtual band eh, put the skeleton joints on midi triggers and let the player rig their jiving, wackiest dance wins.(like the bass player from womack and womack - teardrops)

@TGJ - cheers man, yeah, I still cant get over how good it is to use, and the ease of uv mapping is wonderful. i used to dread uv mapping. now its a real pleasure.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 07:39
sorry for double post but new image to add.

I gave the Joan of arc tutorial a go.

unfortunately i committed sub division and couldn't undo so I lost my low poly model. nevermind, I think this way is definitely the way to go with High quality faces.

this is the nicest 3d model i've ever made(even though i was being spoon fed a tutorial) now I just gotta make one that nice on my own.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 23:55 Edited at: 19th May 2012 23:58
That's a good start.

Seems odd that you can't turn off subdivision in your program, I thought it was a pretty standard thing, I can see not being able to turn off subdivision or to use a control mesh with a subdivision to be rather annoying. I see you're using AC3D's trial, the full version is $89.95. If you prefer, there are a couple of alternatives I'd probably recommend trying out (if you've not paid out your money yet):

Hexagon 2.5 (which is free at the moment)
or
Silo 2 ($159, but to my mind, the best in these types of modellers)

You like AC3D for its intuitiveness, I found the exact same thing with Silo, not so much with Hexagon, but Hexagon does make life a lot easier compared to other programs and has decent features to boot. Plus you're not going to have pay any money to use it.

Anyway, I wrote up a guide for modelling 3D characters, it's not a tutorial for making the actual character, but goes through the methods I use for modelling my characters. I might write a complete character tutorial one day.

http://seppukuarts.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/3d-modelling-character-modelling-methods/

Hope this is useful to you.

AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2012 08:31
Try Wings 3D.
It's purdy good.

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2012 12:47
If we've suggesting good modelling apps, I'd suggest Blender. The UI has been massively improved recently and has most if not all of the features of the high end apps while being totally free.

I'd find what works for you, but it sounds like you've already done that.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:29:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:29:47