Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Solar System Sim

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 00:32 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 21:27
I'm making a Solar System Simulator. Eventually, its just going to be a screensaver type thing, but at the moment it is very basic.

It has the same speeds, distances and sizes of all planets. At the moment, it is pretty bare, but eventually i am going to texture the planets, add things like comets and the asteroid belt, and make it look nice

I also had an idea that you could send in asteroids to destroy planets, and spawn black holes etc... Could be a bit of fun

Anyway i have attached it (So the thread wont get locked), but be warned that it is hard to see the smaller planets. (Pluto is invisible) Eventually, you will be able to zoom in, but i wanted to show the scale of how big the sun is, because people always think it is smaller...

UPDATE:
Added textures and basic lighting
Press a number to follow a planet. WASD moves camera, LMB zooms in, RMB zooms out.
1.Mercury 2.Venus 3.Earth 4.Mars 5.Jupiter 6.Saturn 7.Uranus 8.Neptune 9.Pluto

Matt

Position Object Game Master1330, Object Position X(Reader), Object Position Y(Reader), Object Position Z(Reader) - 5

Hide Object Game Master1330

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 00:38
You've exaggerated the size of the bodies quite a lot! I realise you want the planets to be visible and in proportion to the sun, but the sun is almost as big as mercury's radius here!
Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 00:52
i wanted it to be to scale that how big the sun is! i know its hard to see them and ive changed it so you have good camera controls. ill upload the changed version in a few mins

Position Object Game Master1330, Object Position X(Reader), Object Position Y(Reader), Object Position Z(Reader) - 5

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 05:17
are you sure the scale is right?
I remember I once made a solar system model to scale and my planets were so small and sparse when compared to the sun that real scale seemed a little ridiculous for my purposes.

everything else is nice though. good control functions. I'd maybe use the scrollwheel for zoom and mouseclick drag for camera move. I just find myself trying to use the scrollwheel for the zooming when playing with it.

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 14:01 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 14:06
ive updated it to make it look a little bit nicer, but still using dbpro spheres, so they look a bit shrivelled, and still no shaders or other effects...

@Kezzla
im going to change the controls to how you said soon, because i think it would be a lot easier... ive double checked all of the sizes, distances and speeds, and they are correct... it does look a bit strange because in most diagrams the sun is really small...

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 16:28 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 23:44
Quote: "So the thread wont get locked"

screenshot(s), please?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 18:06
Where are you getting your "facts" regarding the size of things from?

If you want things to look less shrivelled, use the optional parameters for make object sphere. I forget which way around they go, but something like

make object sphere objnum,size,20,20

will get you a pretty smooth sphere.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 19:17
Quote: "i wanted it to be to scale that how big the sun is! i know its hard to see them and ive changed it so you have good camera controls. ill upload the changed version in a few mins"

Sorry I have not tried it yet, screenshot would be handy for those who have not downloaded.

Seems to me that you should be able to test sizes by putting the camera on the earths surface, the sun and moon should be roughly the same size and that size should be familiar to what we see in real life, is this what you get?

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 21:27
my bad... uploading screenshots now.
thanks for the advice on the spheres... been wondering how to do that for ages
i got most of the facts from the planet's wikipedia pages, also from some random site. they matched up though...

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 21:44
ok... i just realized that i forgot to turn off some debug code, and now, like you all said, its impossible to see anything so i think ill keep the debug code on... it was multiplying the sizes by 1000, but not the distances... *Facepalm*

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:10:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:10:26