Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Any interest in a Leaderboard/Match Server similar to GameCenter/OpenFeint?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 06:59
In anticipation of the 1.07 update, I started work on a Web based back-end for my apps which would allow me to do common things such as leader-boards, Achievements, act as a match server for multiplayer games, and storing files/save states from within apps.

At this point I've considered developing out a service and creating an easy to use command set utilizing the new HTTP commands to fellow AppGameKit users.

Being that my line of work is in IT and I have a background in server deployment/administration I've been developing this to deploy to a highly reliable data cluster in a Data Center environment. This is something essential for apps which need to have reliable connections/uptime at all times with as little latency as possible. It is also something that is probably not within the scope of many AppGameKit users abilities/budget.

Obviously there are already platforms out there which facilitate this (IE GameCenter or OpenFeint) however none of those libraries can be accessed from Tier1. In addition, because this is all web based(using HTTPS for communication) it is Truly a Cross Platform solution to any platform which has support for HTTP communication, which is pretty much all of them .

So, who if anyone would be interested in something like this? What features would be most useful to you as an App developer? And would you consider paying for a addon like this?

Moderators: My apologies if this is in the wrong Forum or considered spam/product placement, please move or lock at your discretion.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 08:12
I would be interested. First and foremost I would want a leaderboard and buddy/friend system. I can think of a ton of other features that would be interesting down the road.

Now the problem with using a non established system is reliability. If anyone added this to their game and then for some reason you stop this project it would mean trouble for that developer.

As for funding. I think you could offer a one time fee for basic functionality, like leaderboards and access to the buddy system. Or you could even offer this for free to increase the number of titles supporing your system. Then a small annual fee for a premium account wouldn't be a bad idea, perhaps depending on traffic and the functions the developer wants. You need something that continually brings in money to cover development and server costs.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this officially integrated into AGK. That would simplify things for new developers and also drive people to your system. If it's free and integrated into AppGameKit it would be very easy to get started. And if someone makes a good game they are likely to get a premium account.

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 08:57
I have considered several different paid models for usage, varying from monthly/up-front fees to certain number of users for free and upgrading after a certain threshold is met. Either way I haven't put too much thought into it yet - nailing down core functionality and a solid back-end is priority #1, of course.

I also agree on the reliability factor...really that's just a matter of how large the potential user base is. I don't know the current size of the AppGameKit community but a certain threshold would probably have to be met in order to make a large deployment feasible - though the servers can be scaled up/down depending on the amount of users to meet demand.

Really, it just comes down to user adoption, if its just a handful of users that would want it...then it doesn't make alot of sense. But if a decent amount of AppGameKit users used it, it definitely would be worth developing.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 11:55
You don't have to limit yourself to AppGameKit users. That makes no sense. Anyone who can send data through HTTPS could use it. And people are not just limited to games, anyone using your service could access leaderboards etc through the web.

One premium feature you could add is hosting mapfiles. Allowing players to create and share levels and then download, rate and comment each other's maps would be extremely useful.

With AppGameKit you could picture this scenario: The developer releases a good map editor for PC and Mac. Users can upload the maps directly from the editor. Players look at maps in their web browser on a PC, Mac or tablet (easy on a large screen). They select a few they like. The next time they start the game on their phone they can download these maps with a single button.

Save file storage: A player can install the same game on their computer, tablet and phone. Uploading and downloading their save file means they can play on whatever they want when they want. When AppGameKit get web support players can access their game data and play as long as they have Internet access.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that eventually GameCentre and OpenFeint will be added to AGK. Right now you can access them through T2. There are guides and examples around.
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Gamecenter and Openfeint are the only ones that need to be added.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
gamecenter is ios only, so keeping with the AppGameKit mentality (only add things that work on ALL platforms) will it ever be included?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:21:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:21:44