Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / ASCII Map Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 05:26
Hello,
I spent a few days making a map editor that uses ASCII characters as the pieces.

It's pretty much an array that holds the tiles (12x12 per tile) and saves a number to what object you put in.

Like wall is = 3 so I use a FOR loop to check through the map array and when I come across a 3, I write a wall in that position * 12 because each tile is 12 pixels, and the map is 32x32 tiles.

I put more info inside the readme file. Do whatever you want with it. It also needs to be optimized as it uses alot of CPU.

Controls:
Left click = place selected object
Right click = delete selected object
D = lame debug console
1 = Player Select
2 = Enemy select
3 = Wall select
4 = Money select

S = save map
C = clear map (just sets every tile to blank)

I know its really noobish but its the first thing I've ever made and stuck with xD.

Thanks,

xSpadez

xSpadez - Like a baws

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 20:38
Quote: "I know its really noobish but its the first thing I've ever made and stuck with xD."

I see no problem with posting it. One should be proud of one's achievements. Well done for finishing it. Nice, neat code btw. It always makes me happy to see people using traditional basic formatting (or anything close to)!

xSpadez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 05:17
Thank you!
I've always coded like that though, I didn't know it was a proper, or improper way lol.

xSpadez - Like a baws
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 21:21
Quote: "I didn't know it was a proper, or improper way lol"

Most coders today use lowercase for everything (likely due to the fact that editors now highlight keywords in blue). When I first started programming in basic and doing batch-scripting though, I worked on an old 286 with a B&W monitor. Back in the days when that sorta setup was commonplace, coders used to use UPPERCASE to denote keywords. That's prolly where that coding style originates - maybe as far back as the first assembly-languages. Would be interesting to research and do a documentary on

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 20:06:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 20:06:55