Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK - growing up fast!

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 18:31
I think people are looking for something actually called 'Players'.

There is a directory with that name: AGK\Players

But it doesn't contain anything for iOS or Android and it is very unclear how one uses the Mac one. The windows one appears to be the executable copied and renamed when the AppGameKit IDE compiles a Tier1 project. (Now I know where it comes from and why it always has exactly the same timestamp.)

The interpreter directories are great for creating non-windows platform apps without a separate Player.

But they require a direct connection to the device to run them on, they do not receive a broadcast.

My understanding is that a Player is something that receives a wireless broadcast from the AppGameKit IDE. Am I correct?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 21:47 Edited at: 18th May 2012 22:00
You are correct! And I agree the Players folder is confusing everyone, so I will add some instructions in there to make life easier.

For info, you can build your own AppGameKit Player yourself right now, by simply going to the AGK\IDE\apps folder and using one of the project folders in there that relates to the platform you are interested in, i.e:

interpreter = Windows
interpreter_mac = OSX
interpreter_ios = iOS
interpreter_android = Android 2.3+

In this context, 'Interpreter' is simply another name for Player

Thanks for posting your feedback - we strive to make this process as easy as we can whilst staying within the many rules out there.

NOTE: I have updated the contents of the Players folder for the next version, but I have attached it here so you can review and do let me know if you think I need to provide more information. Thanks again.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 09:36 Edited at: 26th May 2012 09:38
If you want whole Holland to see this Product instantly. http://www.alexanderklopping.nl/ He is the app master from The Netherlands. If you got him to write a review or a mention on his blog ur views/sails will go up for sure. He often goes on TV to tell the country about new apps/products.

Cheers,

Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 02:15 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 02:17
Put $100 into a Project Wonderful account and use that to buy advertising banner space on all the higher-traffic gamer comics and any other comic you think gamers might read.

http://projectwonderful.com/

Some of the big names like VGCats and Penny Arcade aren't on PW, but there are plenty of others. You might get some solid traffic for not that much cash spent. If it works you'll know which sites to advertise on pretty quickly using their metric tools. After that it'll be up to you to figure out how to turn traffic into sales.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 05:30 Edited at: 16th Jun 2012 05:37
Quote: "The process of creating .APK and .IPA files from your bytecode file, is way to complicated for 99% of normal people, so I suggest making a tool to automatize this through wizzards."

Yeah, what he said.
Making that process simple would do wonders.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Creating software is complicated for 99% of NORMAL PEOPLE, but we are programmers not normal people. Understanding and taming complexity should be in our nature.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 10:23
Yeah, get down and dirty with the code and compiling process,

Blackberry App Development & ZX Spectrum Game Development.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 20:17
Game Center abilities for iOS should be something that is immediately implemented. It is something every other sdk (and snap together game engines) already have.
My opinion that this one feature alone would cause a lot more purchases.
Just as important (or more) are In-App purchases.
Once again...most others have this capability.
I know AppGameKit isn't only for iOS ..but those others aren't either, and if AppGameKit were mine I'd be working to get these 2 things in right now before my trial customers uninstall and move on.

FANTASTIC product! But the promotion of this ability WOULD be awesome for business I assure you.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
FakeBlood, I suppose that we will get iap and gamecenter at some point, when TGC will have a need for them, for their own game releases
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 20:48 Edited at: 12th Jul 2012 20:58
lol by then something new will come along probably!
Plugins would even be great..$20-25 for iap and same for game center.
With the drop in AGKs price you'd still be coming out way ahead compared to pricing elsewhere, especially with permanent authorization to use AppGameKit as opposed to most yearly $200-400 plans!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
agk t1 won't support plugins though
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 00:14
i suggest, the AppGameKit should have some function, like audio manipualtion,
like audio synthese, filters, waveforms, audio recording, fm / am synthese.
maybe effects like chorus,flanger, reverb, midi etc.

i dont hope AppGameKit is going to suffer with instablility like Dark Basic Pro or Dark Shader do, they often crash!.

the ability to process video and picture with post-processing effects ?.

just my foughts.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 19:04
Please - NO, NO, NO, NO!

Those things should and could be done using the C/C++/Pascal route, but would spell disaster in Tier 1.

-- Jim
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 12:23
why, no no no.
when i am thinking of iphone, iphone is caple of not just games, infact, allmost profesionel apps like garageband and other aplications are there for the iphone, music apps , video editor,etc, those apps are bilions times better than on android, thats for shure.
thats why, my thoughts was going in the apps direction, when it comes to AGK
kit, yes i know AppGameKit is only for game writting, but maybe, its a good idea to write non games aplications for the iphone, why not.

i guess , i wanted the AppGameKit to be much more flexible, so you could write alot more than just games, with more api included for video post effetcs, audio synthese etc...
if i am going to buy the AppGameKit kit, i am going to use it both for games, but more actueally for non gameing aplication.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 13:20
Before saying no no no, there are some considerations to draw.
At the moment I have no willing to program in Tier-2, both Pascal, C++ or C. So I want to have all features available in Tier-2, also in Tier-1.
From the programmatic point of view, they are function calls, so their stability in Tier-1 and Tier-2 should be equivalent.
BTW, why an interpreted environment like Tier-1 Basic should be less robust than native C/C++? Consider that Java is bytecode-based too, and it is used for almost everything. Do you know "coredump" in C/C++ applications under Linux/Unix OS? I work with carrier-grade telco software under Linux and Solaris OS, and I guarantee that there are a lot of instability in that sw too.
To conclude, I wish that TGC shall implement all the new features under Tier-1 and Tier-2, and of course will improve the IDE. A lot of people are focused on Basic...to say the truth it is the only reason I bought AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
henrikh2008 use T2 and Fmod. Fmod has all those functions and more.

There is no difference between T1 & T2 coding, T2 has just more advantages and is more open to including 3rd party sdks (like Fmod)
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 19:28
Ok
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 09:15
These kinds of apps are not written using a games interface. They are written using the native SDK of the platform. Some apps lend themselves to a games package - others don't.

For non-games development I use Delphi XE2's Firemonkey, which has buttons, listboxes, visual themes, 2D and 3D canvasses, animation, image-processing etc.

Pick the right tool for the job!

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
JimHawkins, I know this is not AppGameKit related, but you got me very curious about FireMonkey.

I can use FireMonkey with C++ Builder right, not just Delphi?

Also does FireMonkey support Android or only mac/pc/ios?

thanks
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 17:36
Looks like the cheapest version is a bit over $700. Phew!
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 19:50
I know, you cant really make any aplications in Dark Basic Pro.
well, thats not enterly true, infact you can!.
Dark Basic Pro is missing the gui, unless you`re using Blue Ide or Extend plugin, or building your own.

I saw a video on Youtube, this guy did create a 3d program, which could create a whole 3d world including terain, water, with a windows GUI.
As i recall it, the 3D editor was created enterly in Dark Basic Pro.

Allso, i think Plant Life was created in Dark Basic Pro ?.

i am really curious, how far can you push the Dark Basic Pro, when it
comes to creating games, would it be possible to create a game, exactly
like Call of Duty, newest version (3D graphics, speed) ?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 19:55 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 19:57
Re: Delphi XE2:

Yes - C++ as well as Pascal.

Currently there is no Android support - but an ARM back-end for the compiler(s) should be ready soon. It's possible to mix 2D and 3D surfaces in one view. Firemonkey is based on GLScene, and uses Free Pascal as the compiler for OS X and iOS.

Tiny example of a 3 line animation here:

http://blogs.embarcadero.com/davidi/2012/06/29/41604/

Yes, it's not cheap, but high-end development tools never are. The Starter Edition is about £350 with a limited commercial license.

Trying to turn AppGameKit into this would require a massive investment in programmers and at least a year, if not two. AppGameKit is for games - not image processing, database interfaces, SOAP etc. That's why I say "no no no."

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i already have c++ builder.

i am mostly interested at building gui based apps, and i am looking at solutions that use native sdks and not html based
CodeGit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 11:07
Does anybody know what the main difference is between Delphi XE2 and RAD Studio XE2 and is it worth paying the extra for RAD Studio?

------------------
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 12:08
RAD Studio includes RAD PHP (Visual Forms etc for PHP), Chrome (for .NET development) etc. You can add these bits later if you find you want them.

-- Jim
CodeGit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 09:51
Thanks

------------------
Laurie
Years of Service
User Offline
For me, I found AppGameKit via an article on one of the indie dev websites on 'what 2d engines are there'. But actually you aren't on a lot of them so it took me longer to find.

In terms of deciding to spend some cash, compared to other competitors you were light on tutorial resources. To be fair, you're not the only one (Gideros also seemed poorly tutorialed which put me off). Corona's list of tutorials is pretty strong as is Construct2 - whether you like the platforms or not and I'd imagine they would be direct competitors

In terms of development an export to HTML5 or flash would be the thing. That would add in an additional potential revenue stream beyond mobile apps.
Laurie
Years of Service
User Offline
For me, I found AppGameKit via an article on one of the indie dev websites on 'what 2d engines are there'. But actually you aren't on a lot of them so it took me longer to find.

In terms of deciding to spend some cash, compared to other competitors you were light on tutorial resources. To be fair, you're not the only one (Gideros also seemed poorly tutorialed which put me off). Corona's list of tutorials is pretty strong as is Construct2 - whether you like the platforms or not and I'd imagine they would be direct competitors

In terms of development an export to HTML5 or flash would be the thing. That would add in an additional potential revenue stream beyond mobile apps.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 19:09
Quote: "In terms of development an export to HTML5 or flash would be the thing. That would add in an additional potential revenue stream beyond mobile apps."

They're working on HTML5 export, but what would be the point for flash export(especially since it's a dying format)?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Flash is the past. I think that even Adobe "kind of" admitted that its going to phase it out slowly slowly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:22:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:22:37