Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Bounds problem w/ Blender model in DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have an animated .x model that I made with Blender 2.62 that I’m trying to use with DBPro. But I’m having a problem with the object bounds. When I include the Armatures in the exported .x model, the bounding box lies along the z axis at a 90 degree angle to the object.

No matter how I rotate my object in Blender the bounds are still at a 90 degree angle from the object.
However, when “Rotate X 90 Degrees” is not checked the object aligns with the bounds, but it’s lying on its back.
The problem with that is I can’t get her to stand straight up without misaligning the bounds (by rotating her in Blender) or rotating her in DBPro, which causes problems when I try to make her move forward or backward.

When I export the object without the Armatures & animations, she’s still on her back. But if I put her on her back in Blender she’ll come out upright in DBPro. But this obviously won’t work for animated objects.

This seems to be an issue with Blender, but I’m not sure.
I understand that the Z axis in Blender goes up and down, while in DBPro it is the Y axis that goes up and down. Can you rotate the Armature in Blender so that its Z axis aligns with DBPro’s Y axis?
I have search the forums but couldn't find anything like this.
Any help at all would be appreciated.

I have included an image if needed.

I’m new to this forum. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 14th May 2012 14:14
have you tried

this way if you rotate any object you can redefine its source rotation and from there on it will stay as you rotate it.

i also use blender and it works find for me, try it.
Space Baybe IV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 22:52 Edited at: 15th May 2012 01:29
Thanks for the quick response, haliop.

I tried exporting the object without "rotate 90 degrees" checked so that the bounds were aligned with the object. Then I used FIX OBJECT PIVOT but that caused the bounds to be at a 90 degree angle to the object again.

Do you use armature animations in Blender? And which version do you use?

Edit: I rotated the model before using FIX OBJECT PIVOT.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 02:31
Quote: "I understand that the Z axis in Blender goes up and down, while in DBPro it is the Y axis that goes up and down. Can you rotate the Armature in Blender so that its Z axis aligns with DBPro’s Y axis?"

This is what Rotate X 90 Degrees does when checked in the export settings.

Quote: "No matter how I rotate my object in Blender the bounds are still at a 90 degree angle from the object."

if you do any rotations or scaling in object mode in blender, be sure to apply those changes to the object data. ctrl + a before exporting. I believe this should fix the bounding issue.

Space Baybe IV
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " "Can you rotate the Armature in Blender so that its Z axis aligns with DBPro’s Y axis?" "

I wasn't clear, sorry. I meant is there a way to rotate the bound boxes so the Z axis aligns w/ DBPro's Y axis.

I tried applying the rotations I made, but I still had the same problem. The X, Y, & Z rotation options in the transform panel of Blender shows 0 for each of them.

I have also found another problem w/ the bounds. Not only are they at a 90 degree angle to the model, but they are also flipped.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 06:41
Quote: "I meant is there a way to rotate the bound boxes so the Z axis aligns w/ DBPro's Y axis."

you really don't need to. I think perhaps you are over thinking things and getting bogged down in the details.

From the front viewport in blender (numpad 1) just treat up as up, right as right, left as left, regardless of the axis labels. export with 'rotate x 90 degrees' checked and it will load into DBpro just as you see it in blender

Space Baybe IV
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ortu: I understand that. My problem is that the bounds don't get rotated with the object when I export it. This means I can't have accurate collisions. Have you seen the images I included?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 05:56 Edited at: 17th May 2012 05:58
ok, I took a look at your photo and did some testing.

It looks like the issue is with that armature rather than the object itself.

The only way I was able to duplicate your issue was to rotate the armature and export them without applying the rotation to the armature. when loaded into dbpro the bounding box fit to the armature rather than the object.

exporting an object with no armature had no issues, whether I applied rotation to it or not, and exporting an object with an armature had no issues if I applied rotations to the armature before exporting.

I applied the rotation to the armature before I parented the object to it. this may or may not make a difference, further testing would have to sort it out.

sorry I had a bunch of screen pastes of my tests, but photoshop decided to stop responding before I saved out the compilation. I suppose I could reproduce the testing if you need.

So, I would try to apply rotation to the armature and re-export, if that doesn't fix it, I would un-parent it, delete all vertex groups, apply rotations to the armature and then reparent it clean and re-export.

Space Baybe IV
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Ortu. I tried that, but I still had the same problem. It seems that when I add vertex group to the object and assign vertices to them it messes up the bounds.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 23:28
If you want to post up the .blend I can take a look at it when I get home

Space Baybe IV
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the .blend file. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Thanks again.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 22:55
yeah I'm stumped on this one sorry. It's very strange, none of the usual issues/fixes seem to work. even building a new armature didn't do it.

You might see if Kira has any ideas, he wrote the exporter:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166987&b=3

Space Baybe IV
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Ortu for the help. I'll check it out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:15:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:15:40