Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Tier 2...all the way!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 02:09
I've just borrowed my son's mac, played around with Tier 2 and I'm loving it.
It's so cool being able to run my code directly on the iphone from the Xcode IDE...And the speed. I'm loving the speed.

Also, there is intellisense. I can go on and on but I won't.

For me, Tier 2 hands down.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, whatever you prefer using I'm not sure if there is a whole load of difference in speed between tier 1 and 2 though if any. Tier 1 is pretty fast as well. It would be interesting to compare one to another.

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 07:31
Well since the code is running natively over being interpreted, you would think it would be faster. But this line of code runs slower in Tier 1 than in Tier 2.
Quote: "IntesityMeter(1.0)"

TIER 1

TIER 2
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't test out the tier 2 stuff, so couldn't say. How much faster does it run in tier 2? It seems to run ok on tier 1 here.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 16:17
The problem with tier 2 for iOs is that the player dosnt work for tier 1, therefore you have to use the AppGameKit viewer wich is slower.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 17:03 Edited at: 15th May 2012 17:05
If you are using Xcode and connected directly to your iOS device, you do not need to use the viewer for either Tier1 or Tier2.

I am currently testing my Tier1 app in Windows, Mac, Android, iOS (iPod Touch and iPad).

For Android and iOS, I have the device connected via the appropriate usb/cable and run directly from Eclipse and Xcode. And, after the initial run, without being connected to the 'parent' computer, I can run my app by just clicking on the icon.

I am loving the flexibility of AGK.

I'm thinking that I may port my app to Tier2, just for the exercise of it, after it's initially published. (Yup, I program for the fun of it.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Zoq2, you just have to press compile & run in xcode for iOS, you don't need to build any viewers or players
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 19:07 Edited at: 15th May 2012 19:19
Quote: "I can't test out the tier 2 stuff, so couldn't say. How much faster does it run in tier 2? It seems to run ok on tier 1 here."

No. No. It runs just fine in Tier 1. When I pass the number 1.0 to the Intensity function in Tier 1, the effect of the bar goes back and forth across the screen smoothly, but in Tier 2 it has a blurred effect when it goes back and forth across the screen.

I'm attributing it to speed of it running natively versus interpreted.

Running in Tier 1

Running in Tier 2

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 19:45
Ancient lady,
Do you need to have a developper account to test on your iphone or is it free for all ?

Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 20:27
If you are going to test from Xcode on a Mac device, yes, you will need an Apple iOS developer account (there is a separate one for Mac development) in order to test on iOS devices.

And each type of developer account costs $99/year.

If you are going to use the viewer/player and the broadcast from the Windows IDE, then you do not need a developer account.

But you will need one before you can sell in the App store.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ ThrOtherJoJo, I asked because I am wondering if tier 2 works the same way with syncing. For instance, on the tier 1 app you leave it set at default, which is 60. In the tier 2 app I see no setup of fps either. So does tier 2 run at 60 fps by default or at full whack? If you use setsyncrate(0,1) in tier 1 you will see it run at the max for your machine. I have seen over 3000 fps on occasion, lol. Just a thought, as sometimes a like for like comparison can actually be an unfair comparison. If tier 2 has no default 60fps limit it will run a lot faster for that reason alone.
I seem to remember Dark GDK running up to 50% faster than DB Pro, and also having a far greater 3D object limit before slowdown started. If this is the case with tier 2 on AppGameKit it would be a fast animal indeed.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
T2 iOS is capped at 60fps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 19:56:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 19:56:52