Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Ipad 2 Broadcast resolution issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 21:17
Hi all

Just installed AppGameKit on my windows PC and broadcast to my ipad 2 works! However, the resolution on the iPAD is awful no matter what virtual resolution i select?

Clearly an app could not be released like this...am I doing something wrong or is this just a broadcast issue?

I dont have a macmini yet to test on but before I rush out and buy one I would like to know the AppGameKit works well in the ipad platform?

If the broadcast is anything to go by I would be quite disappointed! Any pointers, examples much appreciated!

Constantly seeking!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 21:35
When you broadcast to the Player on the iPad, it does it at half resolution. This is to do with Apple restrictions on their apps that does not allow the Player as run on Android, PlayBook etc to be used. Hence, the amount of network traffic going back and forth to get around this does not allow for full resolution graphics.

In the final release, graphics are at full resolution.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 22:58
I use a Mac-Mini to connect and test in Xcode (Tier1).

You will get whatever resolution the device allows and it performs waaaay faster than the Player.

And, the game/app stays on the iOS device and can be replayed when not connected to the Mac-Mini.

I showed the 'in-progress' version of my game that way the other day to someone. The oohs and aahs and the comment 'That looks addicting!' were exactly what I needed to hear.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 01:35
It's also worth noting to readers that iOS has TWO different ways to experience AppGameKit apps. One is the AppGameKit 'VIEWER' which will seriously degrade your resolution and performance due to the nature of how it streams the display from your PC, and AppGameKit 'PLAYER' which you will have compiled yourself with a Mac. Running apps through the AppGameKit Player and setting the correct virtual resolution or aspect ratio will run at pixel perfect full screen on the iOS device. We could not distribute the AppGameKit Player on the App Store due to Apple rules.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 10:48
Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear....

I will save my pennies for my mac Mini!!!!

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 17:14
I love my Mac Mini!

It is much stabler than any of my Windows boxes.

Once you get Xcode installed and get signed up as a developer, the Xcode does lots of work for you creating device certificates when you connect to an iOS device it hasn't seen before.

The currently posted iOS/Mac guides are for Xcode 3.2. But you have to go through hoops to get that version. Apple is now providing Xcode 4 as the default.

I've posted an updated version of the guide in a couple of places in this and the iOS forums.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 04:59:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 04:59:11