Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New sandboxing requirement for Mac Store (computers)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

Sandboxing requirement for the new apps will mandatory from june 1st...
Anybody knows if AppGameKit interpreter for tier1 mac programs, already complains with the new sandbox Apple criteria (for Apple computers, not iOS)?
I don't know how to check if it is supported or locate it in the interpreter's source code.
If not, is planned by TGC support it in incoming releases?

Regards.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st May 2012 15:27
aaaaah... more reason for me not to be interested with iOS...

can this be explained further what is it?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr Valentine this has nothing to do with iOS. It's Mac related.

All mobile platforms are sandboxed in one way or another.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 16:28
Thats where I was confused... Ahh such a confuaing platform...

Thanks for clearing that up...

I can understand why they want to do that... But wont it affect performance?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 18:12
What does sandboxing do?
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 18:50 Edited at: 21st May 2012 18:54
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 19:12
Great, that'll slow down already heavy apps to a standstill and mean lots of bad reviews causing less sales. Clever.

Time to tighten your belts people

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash how will apps slow down?

All this is, is a set of rules that your software has to work in a closed sandbox environment and not interact with other software.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 20:31
in my view this is like a virtual machine, hence the impression of a slow down... remember the sandbox also treats input as a remote interaction therefore making things sluggish... unless Apple provides / made / copied a system that helps make this better...

another thorn in their own feet

Quote: "
Examples

Examples of sandboxes include:
Applets are self-contained programs that run in a virtual machine or scripting language interpreter that does the sandboxing. In application streaming schemes, the applet is downloaded onto a remote client and may begin executing before it arrives in its entirety. Applets are common in web browsers, which use the mechanism to safely execute untrusted code embedded in web pages. Three common applet implementations—Adobe Flash, Java applets and Silverlight—provide (at minimum) a rectangular window with which to interact with the user and some persistent storage (at the user's permission).
"

thats was from the wiki mentioned above, and frankly was written by some Apple user funny, I do not rmember Flash being used on Macs lol... or iOS eitherway... meh...

and I was right it is a virtual machine... and funny there is no mention of ALL THE CRASHES INVOLVED also... this will introduce so many barriers to creativity in my opinion...

also the bolded text in the quote made me gag

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The Wiki has little to do with what apple require as app sandboxing
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 23:19
Is this not wath windows 7 already do?

Its a way to protect an system against viruses if the app or applet is not certified by apple or microsoft.

Apple is probably doing this because of the recently large virus and trojan attacks against mac computers?

The more popular a system gets the more attacks do it get.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 10:42
Quote: "The Wiki has little to do with what apple require as app sandboxing"

I hope that's right. How does it work then? Normally sandboxing is like running through a virtual machine. Do they just run it through a virtual machine during testing?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 10:57
It usually just means you can't write to local storage - at least not without explicit user permission.

-- Jim
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 17:16
So, the files that get automagically created by AppGameKit in user directories other than the one the game is in when the app runs are a no-no?

I know it creates interesting stuff in Users\<username>\AGK\My Documents\<game name>.

And I just looked and see that the InnerActive ad connection creates an image file and one with lots of stuff in binary.

Can someone refresh my memory about where AppGameKit apps put the 'extra' stuff on iOS and Android devices?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
on iOS the "extra stuff" is located in your app root directory under a directory called "documents" which is the standard procedure for ios.

on android all is created on the sd card in a folder named "agk", something which i don't like personally, so i never actually used agk for android dev.

even the creation of the agk dir under my documents in windows is a no no. we should have the choice where these temp files go. a game contest i was interested to take part in stipulated that games cannot write any data outside the game directory.

someone suggested to have the agk folder name user definable. i think that would be a good half way solution.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 23:31
Quote: "on android all is created on the sd card in a folder named "agk""

107 now puts the android files in the app data folder which is not user accessible (unless rooted).

Quote: "we should have the choice where these temp files go"

Windows now has the option to SetRawWritePath() which means you can put files wherever you like.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "107 now puts the android files in the app data folder which is not user accessible (unless rooted)."

did not catch this in the list of fixes and new functions added to 107. well done this is great news for me

Quote: "Windows now has the option to SetRawWritePath() which means you can put files wherever you like."

really? sounds fantastic! have to test this out
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
used SetRawWritePath() in the first line of my program.

Nothing seems to have changed. A folder AppGameKit is still created under My Documents and those 11 internal AppGameKit files are still written there.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 23:49
Since those files are written for the interpreter standby screen before it runs any tier 1 code it can't know where you want to store them.

It's possible I could add a change for tier 2 apps where if you call that command before InitGL() it'll write everything to your chosen folder, but for tier 1 it is impossible to write everything to a user defined directory.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately this a a case where T2 users are handicapped because of T1!
Funny thing is that half of these files are unnecessary for T2 purposes!

I wish there was some way to not even include these files in the generated exe, maybe some MAGIC Switch in core.cpp!!!!!

I never use the virtual joystick, the interpreter files are extra junk for T2 purposes, i always use my own fonts so the 2 font files are unnecessary too!

However the InnerActive temp files are now being written to the SetRawWritePath()
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 08:25 Edited at: 23rd May 2012 08:26
Sorry to follow the original topic of the thread.
Just kidding
So is the Mac interpreter ready for sandboxing requirement?
Thanks guys!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 13:19:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 13:19:51