Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / vs2010 generated program distribution question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
this is a real noob question... does a game created using VS2010, somehow, run on a droid or apple device??? I know this cannot be true, because the .exe is explicitly for windows. But, the information I glean from the site puts a doubt in my mind....

thanks!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
no

you need to recompile the c++ source in xcode for ios. same for android and any other platform
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 16:31
You can develop in Tier1 and create acceptable versions for both Android and iOS.

But, for Android, you need to set up Eclipse and other bits to build the app in the correct format. The guide is detailed and works, if you follow it step by step.

For iOS, you will need a Mac to compile the bytecode into the right format. And you will need an Apple iOS Developer's License ($99/year). The guide for that one is also pretty good, if you have Xcode 3.2. It looks like AppGameKit is in the process of updating the guide for Xcode 4.

Once you get through each setup and get your first app done, it becomes easy.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
So, if I have this right, building a T2 app, I need to recompile using the correct platform. That actually makes sense. If TGC had figured out how to make VS2010 code run on an Apple device, I would sell everything I own and try to buy into TGC!

Now, on a T1 app, it just runs on every device. I did a test run on an iPad and Android phone just broadcasting over wifi. I would still have to pay a $99 fee to Apple. In high level terms, I just take the output of the T1 compiler and send it to "Play Store" or the "Apple Store"? Or is there another intermediary step to convert it to run on that particular platform? I know this has been answered a million times before, but it seems somewhat scattered/disorganized....

One last thing. The main 2 reasons I prefer to not use T1 is because I know C/C++ (not as comfortable with Basic) and I feel terribly "naked" without a debugger. I see a thread for future functionality, but is seems centered on more functions in the library, rather than "adding a debugger" to the IDE. Is adding this in the roadmap? Really want that.... Would pay more for one also....

thanks!!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 19:05 Edited at: 24th May 2012 19:06
Yes, for Tier2 you need to compile in the language native to the platform and using a compiler for it.

Android is Java, so it can be done on a Windows PC. But they don't have the AppGameKit libraries in Java, yet. But you can apparently use C++ in Eclipse to build a native Android app (I haven't tried it, yet).

Mac/iOS can be done in their version of C. But you can also use straight C++ in Xcode.

So, if you stick to pure C++, pretty much anything you do in VS2010 (as long as you stay away from MS specific stuff) should be portable to Xcode. You may have to do some tweaking. If you do use MS specific stuff, you'll need to substitute the equivalent Mac/iOS bits.

You can broadcast to the devices in Tier1. But you cannot use that for your final product, since it requires running the app from the AppGameKit IDE.

For final Tier1 production, you need to build in the appropriate environment as I've already mentioned. The link to the AppGameKit Guides is in the main document page (http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/home.html -> http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides.html).

In either case, you will need the Apple iOS or Mac developer's license. There are two separate programs, each costs $99 a year.

I'm hearing that to submit to the store for Android, you only need a one-time $25 fee.

If you go Tier2, you have access to the debugger in the appropriate platform, VS2010 or Xcode or Eclipse.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 15:12:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 15:12:55