Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / problems with splash screen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 02:02
Hi guys,

Is anyone else having problems with displaying a splash screen on android using AGKSplash.png

i have an image and named it AGKSplash.png, when i test it on the pc, it shows up fine.

but on my android phone it doesnt display, i just get a blank black screen until my app loads up and starts.

Rickynzx
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 02:31
Are you broadcasting to a player or building your own and using Eclipse to run it on your device?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 02:53
Not working either way.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 03:09
If you are doing the android build/eclipse run, what directory are you putting your splash screen in?

And, what is the exact name of your splash screen file (case counts)?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 03:24
putting it in the media folder and named it agksplash
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 03:37
If you are building using cygwin and launching with Eclipse, the splash screen named 'AGKSplash.png' (case matters) goes in the assets directory in the android path.

There should be a media directory under the assets one that the bytecode.byc goes into.

In any case, the file name must be exactly 'AGKSplash.png'.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 03:41
I'd recommend against using AGKSplash.png right now as I'm probably going to deprecate it and advise using a splash screen at the start of your code instead. The point at which the splash screen is displayed is before you set your virtual resolution, orientation, etc, which messes things up, so it's best to display a splash screen yourself after you've set this up.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
KILL the need for AGKsplash!

Just load an image in your code and sync
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 23:08
Just when I first find I have a need for it .

Quote: " KILL the need for AGKsplash!

Just load an image in your code and sync"

Not quick enough.

My project takes a few seconds to get into shape, so the very first thing I do is put a text object on screen saying "Loading..." and sync() it.

I do this before any other set up, media loading etc. but there is still a blank screen delay of a few seconds before it is shown - Even on windows.

So just yesterday (25th May) I decided to try out AGKSplash.png.

It comes up almost instantly and is on screen for a while before my text object is shown.

Today I got it working on Android ( thanks to this thread ) by moving it to assets. Same result, much faster to screen than my created objects - filling that blank screen void.

If it's deprecated, we need a way to get something on screen very early on.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 23:34 Edited at: 26th May 2012 23:35
Quote: "I do this before any other set up, media loading etc. but there is still a blank screen delay of a few seconds before it is shown - Even on windows."

This is because of the AGKsplash.png.
They put a 3 second delay so that the Splash screen is visible, as in games that load only a few assets it was just blinking!

On iOS we already have Default.png that comes up instantly so on iOS AGKsplash makes no sense for sure.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 00:13 Edited at: 27th May 2012 00:14
I think TGC plans to modify the code so that it stops looking for the AGKSplash.png file altogether. They will provide some other option for initial display.

But, on iOS/Mac, the default.png file comes up instantly.

I don't think android has the same type of default image system.

On Windows, it loads so fast (at least on mine) that you never notice the flash screen.

EDIT: I take that back about Windows.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 00:18
I tried dropping the AGKSplash.png file and load/display my own as the very first functional commands (and used Sync()).

I had a couple of seconds of white before my image showed up.

So, until AppGameKit is adjusted to stop looking for the file by default, we are stuck with putting something there so that we don't get the white display.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGKsplash.png is loaded & synced automatically for you as soon as the exe is loaded in memory and executed.

You can do that yourself in 2 lines of code! it's practically the same.

Check out the top mobile games of today. no one uses splash screens anymore. most games load logos of the game teams involved in a nice animted fashion.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 00:29 Edited at: 27th May 2012 00:38
Quote: "it's practically the same."

But not. AppGameKit puts up a white screen whilst looking for that non-existant AGKsplash.png, no matter what two commands you put at the start of your program.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that trying to find AGKsplash.png is what's causing the delay, either way, there's a pause, but it can either be a white screen, or whatever AGKsplash.png looks like. I'll be glad when TGC gets this sorted.
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 04:05
the problem with 1075 build is that the app is taking long to upload itself which makes the splash necessary.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Rich, if they remove the need for AGKsplash.png there will be no white screen and no delay.

At that stage, the programmer has FULL CONTROL over what he wants to do. If you want to put an old fashioned splash screen at the very start use default.png on ios or load an image and sync. if you want to display a series of moving pictures like a lot of today's games you can do it smoothly, if there is no white screen and agksplashes to interrupt.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
basjak, on what platform is the app taking long? and how long is "long" ?

on ipad3 it takes less than 2 seconds for my app to load and start executing.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 10:55
Why not make a command to call the splash function? displayflash("filename.png",1000) 1000 being the minimum time for the splash to show, while getting the game ready.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Great idea Impetus!

The most important thing is that we get a clean app start, no white flashes, no 3 second delays, etc....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 20:05:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 20:05:38