Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Procedural 3D Level Generator V4 plugin for Dark Basic Pro (FREE!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 18:55 Edited at: 29th May 2012 01:54
It's finally here and attached to this post in the bottom right.

Generate an unlimited amount of 3d levels with rooms and corridors, set your own textures, use the easy functions to position objects within the level. See the video below to see the final result.

PROC_MAP.txt

Although I've not yet tested it out, it should work just fine with Sprakys collision and any other collision or physics library too.

This plugin is completely FREE! If you feel like adding an acknowledgement then great.

Have fun with it and the example provided should be enough to get you started...

EDIT: If you are interested in the source code for this project then drop me a request via email. I'll be more than happy to hand the source code out because it would be nice to get some feed back on my style of coding...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 20:53
Excellent - congrats on getting a working plugin version out - gonna have fun with this...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 22:21
This is really sweet. I'm excited about this plugin. Keep up the good work. I'm gonna use it to help me generate some stuff.

Is this compatable with C++, and if so how would I use it. Also, if it is not then will you make a version that I can use with C++. Thank you.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 01:51
@david w - Actually, I will make an edit in the first post...

The source code for this plugin and also the GDK version is free also on request...

Just email me and I'll send you it in either a zip or a 7z format which I've been using a lot lately...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 12:06
@WLGfx,

How's it going? Have you taken the procedural generation thing any further?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 14:38
Yeah, I've been playing around with multiple noise levels to generate and landmass which has areas populated with cities/towns, and areas of different levels of vegetation. So far, in theory, the local area of 500ft x 500ft takes less than half second to generate but that's not even with any 3D models being added yet. I've also added the shifting of the noise levels so I can see where everything is positioned.

I'm also going back to generating a procedural texture that will wrap on a sphere perfect without pinching. This was attempted some time ago without success but now after doing a proper search and using the 3D version of the noise functions it's quite easy to do.

Generating buildings is another thing which I will eventually get into as I will need these for cities and towns. The buildings will have multiple floors and will be able to be moved around in by a player. I do want to stay away from pre-fabricated models as much as possible, although some texturing I may cheat with.

Everything is still based off the random seed and random number generator and is all aimed at being able to produce an unlimited amount of resources / levels / etc.

A lot of this experimentation that is now being done is using IrrLicht as it's easier and faster to do stuff manually with bitmaps and 3D mesh manipulation. And it's opengl and cross platform and hopefully everything I do will run on a Mac and on Linux. It took a bit of understanding the OO platform but now that it has sunk in it is very very easy. It is a nice, simple and fast engine.

DBPro is fast in its native form but all the GDK's unfortunately take that away with lots of overhead with function calls to the dll's. But as I still like DBPro because it is available for free to the community, then as I progress on with pieces of these procedural creations, I will turn some of the more useful ones into a plugin. Such as building creation, local landscape creation, spherical texture creation, etc.

Very likely I will add them to this plugin.

I'm also going to continue with what I started on my website about the procedural generation tutorials.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 06:38 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 06:39
Quote: "I'm also going back to generating a procedural texture that will wrap on a sphere perfect without pinching"

I'm anxiously watching for this!

ExoDev.Com - A Game Development Tools Website! Featuring: XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 13:38
wow WLGFX. I am continually amazed by your work. I like where you are going with your procedural generation of things.

I gotta try this one out.

great job.

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 14:20
Hey, let me know if you do come up with anything using this. It would be interesting to see what someone can do with it.

I've done the texture generation for a sphere without pinching. I'm working on a big project at the moment, but sometime along the way I'll be back onto working with some more procedural code.

Thanks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:51:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:51:19