Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Tier 2 / Android Setup - Tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2012 17:45
Due to the difficulties I was having getting Tier 2 to work, Errors with trying to compile with CYGWIN, and the some what confusing nature of the guide provided, I decided to write a little tutorial now that I got things working. For reference I am on a computer with Windows XP SP3, and using v1065 of AGK. At the moment I recomend using v1065 as I belive that was part of the problems that were happening.

A lot of this information is in the Guide provided in the documentation. The guide was a bit confusing / un-orginized and I hope this makes things a little easier to follow.

This is a step by step guide to setup AppGameKit, Android SDK / NDK, Eclipse, and CYGWIN. Also will go into how to start using Tier 2 and compile with CYGWIN to deploy to Android.

If you have previously installed any of these programs and are running into problems, I recomend uninstalling all of them, including any left over folders, and starting fresh following this guide. This is what I did and whatever went wrong originally was fixed by doing all of the following.

----------------------------------------------------------------
PART 1: Downloading, Installing, and Setup

STEP 1: Download

First thing you will need to do is download the following programs.

AGK v1065 - http://www.thegamecreators.com/

Android SDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html (installer_r18-windows.exe)

Android NDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html

Eclipse IDE - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ (choose 'Eclipse Classic')

CYGWIN - http://cygwin.com/install.html ('Setup.exe' Hyperlink at top of page.)

STEP 2: AppGameKit Installation

- Run the AppGameKit setup program, 'AppGameKit1065.msi'

- Agree to the Licence Agreement.

- Enter your Serial Number.

- Choose the default location to install to. 'C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\'

- Once done installing, click finish. AppGameKit is now installed.

STEP 3: Android SDK Installation and Setup

- Run the Android SDK setup program, 'installer_r18-windows.exe'

- It will begin by looking for the Java SDK, if you do not have it installed it will be installed.

- Choose a location to install to, Default: 'C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk'

- You will be asked where you want it on your start menu, or you can choose 'do not create shortcuts' check box if you like.

- Click Install.

- Once done, click next, be sure the check box 'Start SDK Manager' is checked and click finish.

- The SDK Manager will start.

- Un-Check the 'Android 4.0.3 (API 15)' Check Box.

- Click the 'Obsolete' Check Box.

- Click the 'Android 2.3.1 (API 9)' Check Box.

- Click 'Install Packages'

- You will be asked to confirm the packages to install, if there are any with a Question Mark, Select them and click 'Accept'.

- Click Install.

- Android SDK Manager will begin Downloading / Installing the Packages.

- Once the SDK Manager is done, you may close the SDK Manager Window.

- The Android SDK is now Installed and Setup.

STEP 4: Eclipse Installation and Setup

- Open the Eclipse .ZIP File and Extract to the location you want. I chose 'C:\eclipse\'

- Open the Folder you extracted the files to and Run 'Eclipse.exe'. (You may want to create a shortcut for Eclipse on your Desktop at this point to save time and make it easier to access.)

- You will be asked where you want your workspace to be located, choose a location and click 'Ok'.

- You now need to install the Android Development Tools Plugin for Eclipse.

- From the top Menu select Help -> Install New Software

- Click the 'Add' Button in the upper right hand corner.

- Enter 'ADT Plugin' in the Name Field.

- Enter 'https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/' in the Location field and click 'Ok'

- After a moment, you should see 'Developer Tools'. Click the Check Box for it and then Click 'Next'.

- You will be asked to review the items to be installed, Click 'Next'.

- Click 'I accept the Terms of the Liscense Agreements' and then 'Finish. If you get a warning saying that the authenticity or validity of the software can't be established, Click 'Ok'.

- Once done, you will be asked to Restart Eclipse, Do so.

- When Eclipse restarts, It will ask to configure the Android SDK.

- Choose 'Existing SDK', then Choose the Location you installed the Android SDK to. Default was:

'C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk'. Click 'Next' and then 'Finish'.

- Now you need to install the 'C/C++' Plugin for Eclipse.

- From the top Menu select Help -> Install New Software

- To the left of the 'Add' Button is a Drop Down List. From it select 'Indigo - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo'.

- Expand the 'Programming Languages' Selection and Click the 'C/C++ Development Tools' Check Box. Click 'Next'

- You will be asked to review the items to be installed, Click 'Next'

- Click 'I accept the Terms of the Liscense Agreements' and then 'Finish.

- Once done, You will be asked if you want to restart now. You can, or you can do so later.

- Eclipse is now Installed and Setup.

STEP 5: CYGWIN

- Open the CYGWIN setup program. 'Setup.exe'

- Choose 'Download from the Internet', Click 'Next'

- Choose a location to install to. Default: 'C:\cygwin', Click 'Next'

- You will be asked for a temporary location to download installation files to. I chose a 'temp' folder on the Desktop. Click 'Next'

- Choose a Mirror to download from and Click 'Next'

- You may get a 'Setup Alert' Window, click 'Ok'

- A 'Cygwin setup - Select Packages' screen should appear. If not run the 'Setup.exe' Program again to bring it up.

- In the Search field Enter 'MAKE'.

- Expand the Devel Selection. Select 'make: The GNU version of the 'make' utility'. (There is a little arrow/circle icon next to the word Skip, Click it once to Select it.), Click 'Next'

- Cygwin will begin Downloading and Installing.

- Once complete you can choose to create icons and Click 'Finish'

- CYGWIN is now Installed and Setup.

- (NOTE: You may delete the 'temp' folder now.)

STEP 6: Misc. Folder Setup

This step is to setup an Android folder from an easilly accessible place, such as 'C:\' to make compiling your Android Programs easier. It is important to note that these folders should not contain any spaces. CYGWIN is case sensitive and does not like spaces in file paths. CYGWIN is a terminal style program, meaning you will need to type everything, so choosing short path names will make things easier for you later on.

You will also be copying some AppGameKit folders here to make compiling easier and to eliminate spaces.

- Create a New Folder in 'C:\' and name it 'android'.

- In 'C:\android' Create a New Folder and name it 'AGK'.

- Goto your AppGameKit Folder 'C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGK'

- Copy the folder 'IDE'

- Paste this folder in 'C:\android\AGK'

- Your android folder is now setup.

STEP 7: Android NDK Setup

- Open the Android NDK .ZIP File.

- Extract it to your 'C:\android' folder.

- You should now have a folder in 'C:\android' called 'android-ndk-r8'.

- The Android NDK is now Setup.

PART 2: Tier 2

This guide assumes you allready have VC++ Installed, I am using VC++ 2010 express, so some of

this information may not apply.

PART 1: AppGameKit Wizards

- Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGK\IDE\Utilities\AGKWizard'

- There is a PDF file in this folder with installation instructions if you wish to read that.

- If you are using Windows XP then go into the folder AGKWiz, If using Windows 7 go into the folder AGKWiz_x86.

- Copy the folders in this directory.

- Navigate to your VC++ Installation folder, by default, Windows XP 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC' or for Windows 7 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC'.

- Paste the files you copied into this folder. You may be asked 'this folder already contains a folder by that name, do you want to overwrite?', Click 'yes'.

- If you are using the Express version of VC++, you will also need to copy the Folder 'VCProjects' to the 'Express' Folder.

- The AppGameKit Wizards are now Installed.

PART 2: Using the AppGameKit Wizard

- Open VC++, If you are not prompted to start a New Project, Select File -> New -> Project from the top Menu.

- Select AppGameKit Wizard.

- Enter a Name for your project.

- For Location, Use either 'C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGK\IDE\apps\' or 'C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGK\IDE\templates\'.

- Make sure the check box 'Create Directory for Solution' is checked. Click 'Ok'

- You will be asked for some information about the Window Size of your application, Enter what you would like or just use the Default of 640 x 480. Click 'Finish'

- Once created you can try running the program.

- If you receive the error 'LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'atlsd.lib'', Select your project and then select Project -> Properties from the top Menu.

- Expand the 'Configuration Properties' Selection.

- Expand the 'Linker' Selection. Select Input.

- In the Box Labeled 'Ingore Specific Default Libraries' Enter 'atlsd.lib'. Click 'Ok'

- You can now try running again and all should work.

- You can now begin editing the File 'Main.cpp' to make your program.

- (NOTE: due to the way the libraries are linked in the Wizard, you must set the location you create the project correctly. You can set the Location some place else, but there are more steps involved with correcting the library direcories.)

PART 3: Tier 2 - Template Method

If you choose not to use the wizards or would like to make it easier to compile your final program with CYGWIN then the Template Method is your choice.

- Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGK\IDE\Templates'

- If using VC++ 2010 copy the Folder 'template_vs10', If using VC++ 2008 copy the Folder 'template_vs9'.

- Paste it in the same directory (or into, '\AGK\IDE\apps\', directory) and Rename the folder to the name of your project.

- Navigate into your new folder, open 'Template.sln'

- You can now begin editing the file 'template.cpp' to make your program.

PART 4a: Android Compiling (used AppGameKit Wizard)

- Copy your 'main.cpp' file (and any additional header files you may have added).

- Navigate to your 'C:\android\AGK\IDE\templates\template_android\jni\' folder. (NOTE: This is in the 'C:\android\' folder you created earlier.)

- Paste your 'main.cpp' file here.

- Delete the file 'template.cpp', rename your main.cpp file 'template.cpp'.

- Open 'template.cpp' and change the line '#include "main.h"' to '#include "template.h"'

- Open CYGWIN.

- Enter, cd /cygdrive/c/android/AGK/IDE/templates/template_android , Press Enter. (NOTE: CYGWIN is case sensitive, and does not like spaces in the path name.)

- Enter, /cygdrive/c/android/android-ndk-r8/ndk-build 2> log.txt , Press Enter.

- Unless there are any compilation errors, CYGWIN should make your 'libtemplate.so' file, If not

your 'C:\android\AGK\IDE\templates\template_android' folder will contain a file named log.txt which will show the errors.

- Open Eclipse.

- On the left side of the window in the Package Explorer area, Right Click -> Import.

- Expand the 'General' Selection and Select 'Existing Projects into Workspace'.

- Select 'Browse' and navigate to 'C:\android\AGK\IDE\templates\template_android', Click 'Finish'.

- Right Click your Project -> Android Tools -> Fix Project Properties.

- From the top menu choose Project -> Clean.

- At this point you can Test on your Android by right clicking your Project -> Run as -> Android Application.

- Any time you update your project you will need to re-compile with CYGWIN and then right click your project in Eclipse, choose 'Refresh' and then Project -> Clean.

- To make your project into an Android .APK file, Right click you project -> Export.

- Expand the android selection and choose 'Export Android Application'

- It will ask you which project to be exported, 'Template' should allready be selected, click 'Next'.

- You will be asked to provide a KeyStore, if you do not have one already you can create one.

- Choose a location and name for your KeyStore. I chose 'C:\android\key'.

- Enter a password and click 'Next'

- You will be asked for an Alias, Password, a Validty, and at least on piece of personal information. Click 'Next'.

- Choose a Destination for your .APK file and Click 'Finish'

- You now have a Finished Android Application.

PART 4b: Android Compiling (used Template Method)

- Copy your 'template.cpp' file (and any additional header files you may have added).

- Navigate to your 'C:\android\AGK\IDE\templates\template_android\jni\' folder. (NOTE: This is in the 'C:\android\' folder you created earlier.)

- Paste your 'template.cpp' file here and replace the one that is allready there.

- Open CYGWIN.

- Enter, cd /cygdrive/c/android/AGK/IDE/templates/template_android , Press Enter. (NOTE: CYGWIN is case sensitive, and does not like spaces in the path name.)

- Enter, /cygdrive/c/android/android-ndk-r8/ndk-build 2> log.txt , Press Enter.

- Unless there are any compilation errors, CYGWIN should make your 'libtemplate.so' file, If not your 'C:\android\AGK\IDE\templates\template_android' folder will contain a file named log.txt which will show the errors.

- Open Eclipse.

- On the left side of the window in the Package Explorer area, Right Click -> Import.

- Expand the 'General' Selection and Select 'Existing Projects into Workspace'.

- Select 'Browse' and navigate to 'C:\android\AGK\IDE\templates\template_android', Click 'Finish'.

- Right Click your Project -> Android Tools -> Fix Project Properties.

- From the top menu choose Project -> Clean.

- At this point you can Test on your Android by right clicking your Project -> Run as -> Android Application.

- Any time you update your project you will need to re-compile with CYGWIN and then right click your project in Eclipse, choose 'Refresh' and then Project -> Clean.

- To make your project into an Android .APK file, Right click you project -> Export.

- Expand the android selection and choose 'Export Android Application'

- It will ask you which project to be exported, 'Template' should allready be selected, click 'Next'.

- You will be asked to provide a KeyStore, if you do not have one already you can create one.

- Choose a location and name for your KeyStore. I chose 'C:\android\key'.

- Enter a password and click 'Next'

- You will be asked for an Alias, Password, a Validty, and at least on piece of personal information. Click 'Next'.

- Choose a Destination for your .APK file and Click 'Finish'

- You now have a Finished Android Application.
victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if it was fixed for 1076 ( I haven't installed it yet, will do tomorrow ) but a couple of additions need to be made on a couple of files.

If it turns out it was fixed already I'll delete this message, but I wanted to post while I thought about it.

In Application.mk this line needs to be added to the bottom:
APP_STL := gnustl_static

In the Android.mk file look for the line:
# define IDE_ANDROID (for AGK) and use O3 optimizations

make sure that section has both of these lines in it:
LOCAL_CFLAGS += -DIDE_ANDROID -O3
LOCAL_CPPFLAGS += -fexceptions

I think that's everything. Other than that it should work out of the box. Hopefully this was fixed in 1076 and my addition is redundant.
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 03:34
I've been tying get my Tier-2 Android environment working on v1076, did anyone manage to do it (without segfaults?)? I'm looking for an alternative to the template method described in the official documentation (since they aren't working)...

thanks

Diego "Proteus" Spinola
Electrical Engineer @ Hackeneering.com
Computer and Digital Systems Engineering
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone managed to make the T2 1076 templates work, can we have a little list of things to fix, as TGC don't seem to think that there are enough T2 users to spend 30minutes and update the templates themselves
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 01:04
I'm gonna test the template Ancient Lady provided in this thread and get back to you guys ASAP

Diego "Proteus" Spinola
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 07:59
as described in this post , the v1076 template by Ancient Lady builds but failed to run on my devices (should you wanna test the generated .apk , it is attached to the linked post)

@bjadams: we could really use some help from TGC, I'm still waiting for their official statement on Tier2...

Diego "Proteus" Spinola
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
seems like they will release a v108 in mid-september. i hope the t2 templates will be fixed in that release.

still it would be nice to have them now, as i need to test something on android using 1076
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 16:34
@Proteus, I suspected that might happen. I got my Nexus 7 yesterday and my apk wouldn't run on it, either.

Sadly, there is no way to tell what went wrong.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, what can we do to MAKE someone at tgc do a proper template for 1076?

We have reported, complained, shouted and written a lot of nasty things, but we are still without a working template!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 01:00
I don't know. Even with my new 'title', I don't really carry any weight.

Hey, Paul? Can we do something about this? Please?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 03:58
After testing Ancient Lady's template yesterday I made an official support request using the support contact form which promises a reply( hopefully containing an estimate on when it will be fixed) in 48hours ...

I'll keep you guys posted

Diego "Proteus" Spinola
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 10:17 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2012 14:41
HOLY MOLEY MOTHER POLLY!

I managed to make the 1076 T2 WORK!!!!!!!!!

First off I followed the instructions by Victor:

1: In Application.mk add this line to the bottom:
APP_STL := gnustl_static

2: In the Android.mk file look for the line:
# define IDE_ANDROID (for AGK) and use O3 optimizations

make sure that section has both of these lines in it:
LOCAL_CFLAGS += -DIDE_ANDROID -O3
LOCAL_CPPFLAGS += -fexceptions

3. from the NDK directory of Drive C: copy this file:
\sources\cxx-stl\gnu-libstdc++\libs\armeabi\libgnustl_static.a
TO your project Folder in
\obj\local\armeabi\libgnustl_static.a

4. Do the same with the armeabi-v7a folder

Tested on emulator, app works!

It took me less than 30mins with no inside knowledge of AppGameKit to fix this. I get that TGC could do this in 5mins and save us all the hassle.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
1 thing left: I still get the ugly Calibration screen. As far as i know this is redundant in 1076.

How am I going to remove it completely?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 16:21
@bjadams, AWESOME!!!!

Just in time for me to try building my Tier 1 to Tier 2 converted WIP for Android. Cool, thank you.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
bad news... after a few compile and changes, i managed to break my app so now i have no proof that it works!!!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 22:14
I just tried to run my template and it went black then gone.

Rats!!!!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 23:35 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 11:04
In my case, it worked the first few times. After a few compiles, it stopped working! After some testing i found out that this happened when I changed the package name from com.thegamecreators.agk_player to com.myname.mygame

There should be a new & OFFICIAL T2 template in the download section now!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 01:00
The template that Paul put in the download area (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199188&b=46) works just fine for me.

There were some significant differences in the Core.cpp file in Paul's new template.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 16:57
I only got AppGameKit a couple of days ago, and using the stock 1076 T2 Template have successfully compiled, installed and run the default "Hello World" App.

I am using Eclipse as editor.

Have also successfully compiled and installed T1 (Santas Bad Elf example game) by integrating byte code with interpreter. Had a little trouble with undocumented folder names (copying media to assets/media etc.), but a quick check of the forums soon sorted that out (Thanks Lady!).

It all just works

Being an old DBDNer, I'm chuffed with my latest TGC purchase! Looking forward to making some cool little games!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 17:02
You'll enjoy AGK. It already has a bunch of good stuff and will only get better!

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Zona Servicios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2012 02:00 Edited at: 17th Sep 2012 17:57
Hi!
Can some please one give me directions on how proceed compiling on a Mac?
I can't figure it out; I have the Android Project opened in Eclipse, and I can Build+Upload and see it on the device, but, it's always the same Hello World; no matter what I change, cleaning and rebuilding, I will see this Hello World again and again. In XCode it works.
I see people talk about a a Cygwin.bat step, but I can't find anything for mac?
Help?
THANKS!!!

ED: Nevermind, just found the "how to" do it. I thought that, like it happens on XCode for iOS, the template project for android where going to work fully on eclipse, but reading just figured that you need to do Console work + Eclipse work, or console + console, but you need two step to get it working. Thanks.

Roberto A. Berrospe Machin, iBob Software.
http://www.ibobsoftware.com
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 05:13
Does anyone setup Android on Mac OS ?

The Miracrea Games
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 14:32
where should I put images and sounds?

The Miracrea Games
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 18:04
<yourproj>/assets/media is the directory for images and sounds for Android projects.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2012 09:35
I put the images to assets, then it is ok. if there is a media folder, the project can't find the images.

The Miracrea Games
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2012 16:29
Okay. If you are working in Tier 2, I can see why that works. Tier 1 always looks for stuff in a directory named media if no path is offered.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 05:29
This thread has been invaluable.

Even with it I had a few challenges to overcome, but I definitely could not have compiled my Android product without it.

It is pretty much unbelievable its not a sticky

Thank you very much for the time you put into this tutorial Pilz X Schizo!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:34:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:34:57