Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / (X9) Funhouse: Can You Survive?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2012 12:33 Edited at: 1st Oct 2012 05:08

Hi there, friends! I'd like to introduce you to my very first FPSC game: "Funhouse: Can You Survive?" I've had FPSC for over three years now, but my old computer was holding me back. Now that I have an intensely strong computer to run with, I'm back at it, and am finally making some real progress on a real first person shooter. Please tell me what you think! I still have miles to go.

STORY:
Jack is a promising cadet at a police academy in Seattle, Washington. As his final days at the academy near ever closer, he decides to celebrate. Unfortunately, that night, he is kidnapped and transferred to a hidden abandoned military base. He awakes with a GPS transmitter in his chest and an urgency to escape. But he soon finds out that the "Doctor" (no relation to the Time Lord), has inserted him into a twisted game called "The Funhouse", where rich individuals bet on the precise moment that Jack should perish. As Jack, you must fight your way through different themes plaguing the halls of the base, such as: Horror, Science Fiction, Historical and more as you try and escape, all the while trying to figure out who this mysterious Doctor is, and why he's so interested in your past. With the help of a previous contender leaving you messages along the way, only one question stands: can you survive the Funhouse?

INSPIRATION
One huge inspiration for me was the original Prey. I liked how Tommy (the main character) would interact with a large part of the environment when he walked up to it, giving some insight into his character. I also like the game's linear level structure, it felt like a journey, going through the halls of the space ship. This aspect is shared with Bioshock, which also influenced me. However, the themes are all each based off a singular game attributing to the Funhouse's idea that each theme also has a story. The first theme (Horror), is based off of the first Resident Evil. Historical is based off of Medal of Honor: Frontlines and Oblivion (minus the magic and fantasy elements). Science Fiction is based off of System Shock 2, and the final theme may be based off of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or Serious Sam 2 deciding on which theme is finalized.

PREVIEW:
http://youtu.be/ALKYwtnyIQo

FACEBOOK PAGE:
http://www.facebook.com/SurvivetheFunhouse

THE GREAT BUG HUNT
[href]https://www.rapidshare.com/#!download|708|2547806036|FunhouseDemo.zip|1301970[/href]
(Sorry, the clickable link won't turn on for some reason, so just copy and paste.)

Tell me what you think! The .wavs are just a placeholder for the moment. So please, creative, constructive, critical advice, opinions. Thanks for your time!

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2012 21:45
Another screenshot. I was gonna post the level for you guys to try out but the file was too big.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2012 09:21
I changed the lighting, and now, the game looks preeetty good. As you can see, I have an addiction to placing entities (almost all are static) around the level. Tell me what you think!

Attachments

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2012 09:22
Last screen that I'll post for a while.

Attachments

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 04:00
Here with a new screenshot. This is from the fifth level: A flooded garage and water pipe room. I now have a custom hud made by yours truly, new lightmapping (thanks to wolf! read a forum of yours), and a new player voice. I was hoping somebody would comment by now, but it's cool. Tell me what you think!

Attachments

AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 05:07
From the third shot down it looks pretty good. Some of your lights need light sources though, some of them don't seem to be coming from anything.

-Adrian
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 06:07
lol Yeah, it's that standard lightmapping technique. I changed it, so the lights look alot more natural now, and the bloom isn't as intense. They all have their proper sources, but the original lightmapping made my lighting act wonky. But thank you.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 05:43
Added a link to a video preview for the game up there. ^^^

Also, is it possible to get a mod to delete those posts up there with screenshots?

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 03:18
Does anybody have an opinions on what I have so far? Mainly the video??? lol

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 04:30
Honestly?

The 'story' is a sad excuse for having none, the video doesn't show anything of
Quote: "Horror, Science, Historical, Fantasy"
but simply a random mix of stuff and the gameplay looks anything but 'fun'.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 04:59
I respect your opinion. Although I would like to state that I didn't post the full story, just the basic drive of the game, and the themes are separated by levels. I've currently made 8 Horror themed levels, and 4 Historical ones. The one shown in the video is one of the historical levels. As for gameplay, it's kind of difficult thinking up things, as I only have the Bonanza pack (not the ultra) which in itself is alright, but pretty bare. I wish I could get my hands on MP 54 and the TF341. :-(

born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Not bad. I like the screenshots.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 11:49
If you need more media, there is a ton of it to download for free - including wartorn, scifi, horror, post-apocalypse and pirates

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 18:12
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 11:08
Thanks for the links and support, guys! Although I do use both sites frequently, what I really need is some more features to help balance my game out. For example, I can still go underwater and have infinite air. That still bugs me unfortunately. But I was just wondering about a program or script. I keep hearing about a smartpacker pro project going on that turns each level in the game into a separate... Well, game. I remember reading that it helps the finalized project run more smoothly. I was wondering if it's usable at this point in time, basically bug free. It would work wonders since I already have 14 levels and plans for more. Thanks ahead of time!

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 19:41
wow this is cool, and actiony. is it all stock media?

I'd have to say........ The Game Creators can make dreams come true.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 21:44
Thank you. It's just the bonanza pack and some custom media from fps files and northern fox media.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 17:18
Surprise, another screenshot! This is taken from the Historical theme of the game, which is split into two parts: World War 2, and the Medieval Era. This level actually came out a lot better than what I originally planned for it. Probably gonna release a few levels soon for people to try out. Keep an eye out.

Attachments

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 07:43
Hey guys, it's been a while. I got a job as a newspaper reporter so now I have more money, but not as much time to commit to the game, but it's still going!

Recently, I put together a music test for the game with just a couple levels in it, but after that I decided that I want to do some debugging tests. Since I place my maps down sort of fast, I tend to miss some things that I won't notice until I release the game. But I was wondering if there was anybody that would like to help me debug the game.

Also, just wondering, what download system works best for FPSC games? Thanks, friends!

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 06:17
Nobody even wants to try it? :-( Well, I'm away from my computer for the weekend for my birthday, so I won't be able to put the alpha demo up on cloud or rapidshare. If anyone wants to play it or help me debug it, please leave me a comment! Thanks guys!

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 20:44 Edited at: 21st Sep 2012 20:48
Finally got the demo put together. I call it the Great Bug Hunt.

Try it here guys:
[href]https://www.rapidshare.com/#!download|708|2547806036|FunhouseDemo.zip|1301970[/href]

Also, props to anyone who can find "Pauly, the hidden secret" in level 3.

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 23:02
Just be patient, the forums seem to be slowing down for now, everyone has real life issues nowadays.

I'll try it when ever I have time.

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 23:57
Thank you, my good sir.

I totally understand, by the way. I just got a job as a freelance writer, so the good part is is that I get to go all over the place for fun, but the bad part is I don't get that much time to work on the game. It's far from dead though.

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 00:50
Well, I hope you enjoy what you do, what kind of things do you write about anyway?

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 01:05
Whatever they usually assign me, but I got to go to PAX which was beyond awesome.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 07:42 Edited at: 26th Sep 2012 08:05
To celebrate 1,000 views so far, here are two screenshots from a level in the Science Fiction theme. Here Jack finds himself aboard a "space station" in the future, caught in the middle of a war between humans and robots. In this level, you must force your way through the hydroponics bay. I'm personally proud of the laser holograms of "Lab 1" and "Lab 2" I put together.

HYDROPONICS EXPERIMENTAL LAB 1

HYDROPONICS CORRIDOR

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 14:00
Those holograms are really, really cool! So creative!
This theme is looking real nice, what kind of enemies are you planing to use? Robots, Viral Outbreak creatures, the Freaks and Abominations, Scientists, Nazi's, or everything I listed?

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 06:03
Honestly, just the AI's, and Sci Fi commandos from the stock libraries. Maybe I'll throw in some scientists or spacemen. Maybe aliens.
I think with this game, I'm just trying to get myself accustomed to everything before I try a "push the limits" type game. That's why I'm making the game grow with each level (more reoccurring puzzles) and more features. Still veery committed though.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 12:11
BedsideReaper

Great looking game and its nice to see your 'cool' new media also.

Quote: "I think with this game, I'm just trying to get myself accustomed to everything before I try a "push the limits" type game. That's why I'm making the game grow with each level (more reoccurring puzzles) and more features. Still veery committed though. "

I think they are very wise thoughts you have there because too many users try to run before they can walk and give up too soon when they 'do' have the capacity of making those dreams come true through 'trial and error'.

All the best of luck with this.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 16:13
Thank you, sir! Words like that make me even more committed. A big part of this project for me is to actually finish the game. I'm a writer, filmmaker, musician. Unfortunately, because of my hectic youth washed in ADHD, soda and bad grades, I never got a full film project finished or a novel written all the way. A new idea or story would pop up in my head and then I'd go off focus and onto another project. This is a personal goal for me that I truly intend on finishing. So thank you, guys. It means a lot.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 13:17
I was just wondering, has anybody tried the demo yet?

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 13:24
BedsideReaper

I'm sorry but my 'one' remaining Pc at the moment is not capable of running any games without causing problems so I can not afford to download and play. I'm just about getting away with doing some modelling at the moment (with minor issues occuring).

I'm sure someone will get back to you with their thoughts on the Demo game.

All the best of luck.
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 13:53
I'm downloading now, but geez, 1.2 gigs, and it's only a demo?
I'll post some feedback after school today.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 14:17
Sorry about the size. The rough cut of one of the cutscenes was made with fraps, and is... Well... Pretty big. haha So after compressing it through Pinnacle, then compressing it through a zip file, I'm unfortunately greeted with 1.2 gigs. The actual cutscene will all be hand drawn, and similar to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. And to get this ahead of time: Yes, I know the doctor sounds a little like Vito Corleone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 21:48:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 21:48:37