Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is there some way to get generic device id information?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 23:20
I would eventually like to have several games out in the world and a leaderboard on my server set to handle all of them.

Obviously game players will need to pick a handle (nick name, whatever) and it would be good to be able to recognize that they have started using a new game and offer them the chance to use the same handle.

This would require being able to identify the device somehow.

Since the bundle identifier (iOS) or package (Android) are unique to game and, in theory, the game data is sand boxed so that one game cannot see another (pretty much required behavior for all portable platforms), it is not possible to create a file that can be seen by more than one app. Hence the need for external storage (my server db).

The default is for the first game to get the user handle and create the entry on the server. Subsequent games could ask if the user has a handle at <your company> and then ask for them to verify the one stored. This is a bit awkward.

It would be much better for a new app to say 'Hey, we see that you appear to have <other game> registered in our leaderboard! Please pick one of the handles registered for your device. Or create a new one...'.

Are there any suggestions on this?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Apple has banned the use of uid as far as i know.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:27:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:27:59