Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Need help and advice on editing JavaScript for website

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 18:29
Hi,

I am currently working on a website which uses drag & drop elements based upon this script:
http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/index.html?whichScript=drag-drop-custom

It works perfect except for when giving the <div>, that acts as a container for the dragable boxes (in the examples from the above site its #leftColumn), a CSS "position:relative;" or anything that involves "position:X;".

If I set the position, the dragable box now gets an offset to the mouse the same distance as the difference from the X,Y of the screen and the X,Y of the <div>.

So instead of having the box right under the mouse, it is now positioned somewhere it shouldn't. Rendering the whole thing useless.

Now I wonder if there is a JavaScript guru out there that would be able to help me. I will really do anything in order to get it fixed. I could even pay if necessary.

I only got a base knowledgde of JavaScript, so I cant really seem to understand what does what in the .jscript from the download attached to the page above.

I really apreaciate all the help I can get!

Regards,
Joakim

DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 18:33
Well, I don't know javascript well, but coffee cup has a free editor with a lot of demos and example on how to do that kind of stuff.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 19:29
Well I allready got the scripts I want etc. but they wont behave as I want them to

It all worked perfectly when all elements where floating (float:left, but I needed to set fixed positions for the elements and now they wont work as they should.

But I did found out that the drop itself works, if I "drop" the box when having the cursor over the target it acts normal, appart from the actual dragable box being offset.

If its of any help.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 02:56
without looking at the script or anything, it sounds like the problem may be more with the CSS than with the Javascript.

i.e. it's a display problem not a script problem as shown by

Quote: "But I did found out that the drop itself works, if I "drop" the box when having the cursor over the target it acts normal, appart from the actual dragable box being offset."

that being said, which ever side is handling the positioning, you should be able to use a negative offset to correct for the fixed position you set.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 12:13
Also force your margins to 0

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 22:23
Quote: "It all worked perfectly when all elements where floating (float:left, but I needed to set fixed positions for the elements and now they wont work as they should."

You could use jQuery to change the CSS for when they're being dragged, and then switch back to fixed when they're dropped.

i.e:

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 17:24
You might try placing the floating div inside another fixed div to act as a boundary to the floater

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 14:32
Quote: "without looking at the script or anything, it sounds like the problem may be more with the CSS than with the Javascript.

i.e. it's a display problem not a script problem as shown by

Quote: "But I did found out that the drop itself works, if I "drop" the box when having the cursor over the target it acts normal, appart from the actual dragable box being offset."

that being said, which ever side is handling the positioning, you should be able to use a negative offset to correct for the fixed position you set.
"

I cant seem to find where I should edit to a negative offset, will take another look.

Quote: "Also force your margins to 0
"

The margins isn't affecting the script in a negative way.

Quote: "Quote: "It all worked perfectly when all elements where floating (float:left, but I needed to set fixed positions for the elements and now they wont work as they should."
You could use jQuery to change the CSS for when they're being dragged, and then switch back to fixed when they're dropped.

i.e:+ Code Snippet"

Well, the dragthingies are actually floatig allready.

Quote: "You might try placing the floating div inside another fixed div to act as a boundary to the floater
"

Didn't work

Did anyone download and looked at the actual files?
I have tried several things outside the script but nothing did work, so it has to be within the script.

This is a key feature on the website. So as stated, anyone who can help me with this will be rewarded.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 02:40 Edited at: 12th Jun 2012 02:41
ok, I've started picking apart the script (it's pretty nifty) and it looks like if you set the main div to fixed with a positioning along the lines of:

<div id="mainContainer" style="position:fixed;top:100px;left:100px;">

you get the issue you are describing.

it seems like you can realign the box to the cursor in the .js script here (from line 495):

where you modify the style.top and style.left by an inverse of your fixed positioning after the array object and before the 'px'.

You should be able to convert this to a variable which gets passed in to the __initDragDropElement function.

or alternatively, you can edit in your offset in this function starting at line 571:

where you would similarly modify against:

dragObj.style.left = leftPos + 'px';
dragObj.style.top = topPos + 'px';

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 02:42
Ortu has pointed you in right direction with;

Quote: "
"

Basically you need to fiddle with offsets based on the position of leftColumn. I've done it by adding a couple of new functions called getTopPosOffset and getLeftPosOffset and then using these in a few places in the js file.

I've attached modified js file and modified versions of the demo html files to demonstrate. Should put you in right direction, however your layout is probably completely different and you'll need to make other adjustments.

If I were you I would not use this script at all as it's from many many years ago and there are loads of modern jquery ones that are more likely to work properly and in all browsers.

Boo!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 21:01
Sorry for late answer.

Thanks for all the help! It means a lot to know that there are people here that not only say "thats doable", but actually shows how to do it

Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:22:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:22:17