Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Music licenses

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 23:40
Okay. So, I'm looking at licensing a song, but... My head is about to explode. I'm wanting to license Godsmack's Serenity, because the message in the song coincides with my game's story quite well. Here's the issue: I was reading it can cost anywhere from 8-15 cents royalty per copy to as much as a $20-50K+ flat fee. What would be my best course of action? Should I try and obtain a license, or just cut the idea altogether? All the rest of the music will be original compositions by me and my friends. Serenity would play during the credits. I need some words of wisdom, especially if you're experienced in this area.

Thanks in advance.
-Amo
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 00:11 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 00:13
If in the States and doing a cover version this is the Harry Fox Agency rates. I searched your song on there but they dont have it in their database.
Quote: "The current statutory mechanical royalty rate is $.091 (9.1 cents) per song per unit for recordings of compositions up to five minutes (5:00) in length.

For example, if one were to make a recording of a song that is less than five minutes in length (e.g. 4:07) and then manufacture and distribute 500 units of the recording, the total amount of royalties due would be $45.50. ($0.091 X 500 (units) = $45.50)."

There is also Limelight if you wanted to do a cover yourself:

http://www.songclearance.com/

If you want to use the mechanical recording as is you would have to contact the owner of copyright directly.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
Non Sequitur M
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 08:47
Dang it. I don't want to do a cover really. I thought if I could get some actual Godsmack in there, it would rock. Well... Guess I contact... Pshhhhhh. I don't know. Heh. I'll start with the record company that licenses that album. I think that would be Universal Records. Thanks for the help rolfy. Anyone else have any good advice?

Thanks.
-Amo
jobromedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 02:17
It's never easy to license music. I'm on the other hand am a composer with 30+ years experience. You could start by checking out my music packs in my signature. Their MIDI, but there's plenty of rock tunes in these packs.

MIDI packs for sale.
Best regards
Johan Brodd
rockit1
Years of Service
User Offline
Be prepared for it to be a very expensive business to license songs from a major record label. You really need to decide if it is worth the expense, versus the returns you are likely to make on the game.

It would most likely be a better idea to either get a composer
to create something for you or use Royalty-free music. In case you are not familiar with what that is, Here is a link to an article explaining the concept a bit
Royalty-free music-what is it?
jobromedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 09:34
Let me just inform you that my entry as a composer for the Game Creator Store is now pending. I've sent the paperwork to TGC for approval.

So why don't you drop me a PM, and provide links to music that you would like to use, and I'll compose similar music. I'll upload the music to the store.

Once everything's approved then I'll send you a link to the song on the store for you to buy. The song is entirely royalty free, and can be used for commercial games as well.

MIDI packs for sale.
Best regards
Johan Brodd
Non Sequitur M
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 08:05
Thanks for the help guys. Me and my three friends have almost 55 years of music experience between the four of us, so we were going to do 99% of the music ourselves and license that song. I can't afford anything pricey, but we are capable of composing it ourselves.

Thanks, again, for the help. Wish it wasn't so hard to license a song, ya know? Lol. Oh, well...

-Amo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:38:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:38:48