Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dynamic obstacle avoidance ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Does Dark AI has the inbuilt feature of avoiding dynamically generated obstacles - 3D mesh objects created at runtime while calculating the shortest route during pathfinding ?

Thanks,
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 23:33 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 23:34
AI SET ENTITY COLLIDE

Use this command to notify the entity when it has collided with an object that is not in the AI system, for example from an external collision or physics system. The entity will move sideways for a brief period to try and avoid this object, during which time AI Get Entity Avoiding will return 1. Since the entity has no knowledge of the object's size it may not succeed in going around it in one move. You should detect when the entity has decided to stop avoiding and repeat the AI Set Entity Collide command if necessary.

This does not apply to objects set as obstacles or entities in the AI system, the entity will avoid these automatically.

Syntax:

Quote: "AI Set Entity Collide Entity Number, Collide Object"

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@Olby: Thank you for the detailed advice. I will look into it.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

If I remove existing obstacles and add new obstacles having new location, position and orientation using code at run-time, will the Dark AI recognize this change in the current scene and adjust the currently moving entities automatically ? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you would need to recalculate obstacle avoidance (path finding) which can be quite intensive task depending on geometry involved. Don't take my word for it tho. Your best bet is to use the command mentioned above.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh ok. I was asking this because in an RTS game the obstacles are all dynamically created and destroyed be it humans or other entities like cars, houses. I am worried if Dark AI has inbuilt commands to handle the situation. This is one of the crucial things I want to be sure about before I go for a purchase of Dark Game Studio and some associated addons.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:12:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:12:01