Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DoomedCraft (yes another minecraft enspired game engine)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 05:21
Just read your most recent post after our discussion. That sounds like a very awesome idea. Would be a lot of fun to play with. It also sounds like it has some similarities to a program I used to play called roblox, so it might be worth checking that out for ideas. Having more meshes and freedom would really give this program an edge.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 11:07
Here are a few screen shot updates...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 11:38
Is the water dynamic like in MineCraft yet? And are you going to give it the infinite water glitch like in MineCraft, or make it more realistic?

TheComet

"if you don't understand recursion than you probably don't understand recursion." ~Jerico2day
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 16:09 Edited at: 8th Sep 2012 20:49
currently i just have it as infinate water however i do have plans to eventualy put in load balancing. Currently if i remove a block next to water it just fills it in with water. but if i draw a block in the water it gets rid of it. For now the water only moves in the main 4 directions as well as down if its detected that an empty space resides underneith.

Im working with a realy tight system with a value of 1 byte per tile space. I have managed to create a system where if a special tile is aloud to be submerged underwater that block looks for surrounding water and draws if needed.

an example would be that tree post under the water. I have successfully merged water to be drawn in its place at the same time only using the 1 byte. Now i just need to fix the water to draw under that dock.

Also my stair system consistes of 4 lifts but can be acheived with a middle block only if you wish.

edit: Ive decided to make a complete new memblock to handle liquids so that it can be coded more realisticaly with load balancing. Working on this today....

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 05:50
Here is a new video with rain and actual water load balancing. Its ruff as it uses plains but i must say that its realy fun to play around with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5h9Pw5Jq-o&list=UU10WNY-Xu96J8EfVO7rFJXA&index=1&feature=plcp

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 09:57
Amazing! This is coming along really nicely, great to see!

Considering that this is a pretty fast paced first person shooter, will you even have time to mine and build things? Will there be something like a time limited setup period given to the player where he has time to build some defences before the great attack?

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know how much data the original MineCraft uses per block? You mentioned you're using 1 byte of data for every block ID, but MineCraft has much more than 256 block types.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 15:55 Edited at: 10th Sep 2012 15:57
yeah im not too sure what minecraft uses but it may use 2 bytes and loads segment chunks.... mine loads the whole darn thing at once.

So it will be pushing a runtime of 64mb just for the map. I now decided to move the water over to its own system as well to make it smooth. Unfortunetly the water itself is pushing 256mb as its using a float number system but its the only way i could make it smooth.

At least when it comes time to save the project it only takes 3 to 4 k using a compression with it.

As far as minning goes....ive actualy decided to take that portion out. im strictly putting game elements into the sandbox editor so people can create game maps for the game engine.

What can i do in sandbox mode?
-build /destroy
-set enemies
-build stages (caves / buildings / etc)
-set traps / quest items / etc
-run in server mode up to 4 players to build your game map.
-destribute your game map and let others play the map in story mode
-random terrains
-etc....on and on

Basicaly the game Doomed Descent will be built in sandbox mode giving everyone the ability to create a game story with it.
Even edit the main story and save it modifying items and traps er whatever....

The way im looking at it now is that if somebody wants to mine.....they can play minecraft. I want to make my game unique in a different way but still use a tile system.

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Loading the map in chunks isn't a bad thing...
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2012 02:27 Edited at: 11th Sep 2012 02:30
Quote: "Loading the map in chunks isn't a bad thing... "

No its not bad at all and its actualy smart.... however for what im trying to do will be easier to code if its all loaded at once.

Id drop it off into segment chunks too however i fear this will create a whole tun more of multiplayer code then i need using my current method....maby ill use that setup with another game engine but not this one.

I know wlgfx has something on the go that can do this aswell....so we will see....it might all get switched over if it doesnt add too much problems but i have a feeling we are just gunna go with a 2 memblock system.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2012 11:14
Didn't you say your world is infinite? You'll have to load it by chunks in order to get that working.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2012 19:44
The water load-balancing looks really nice, but the little dip in the entire water surface looks strange. It almost seems like the initial value for the water height is too low but your system is compensating for it afterwards.

And in any case, how is the water taking up two extra powers of two of memory compared to the world(2^6 = 64, 2^8 = 256)?

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2012 20:57 Edited at: 11th Sep 2012 20:58
Link to water system in dwarf fortress and minecraft: (pages 9 and 10)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3549/interview_the_making_of_dwarf_.php?page=1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2012 02:44 Edited at: 12th Sep 2012 02:55
Quote: "And in any case, how is the water taking up two extra powers of two of memory compared to the world(2^6 = 64, 2^8 = 256)?"

i'll explain

the map is no longer infinate for this game....however it is randomly generated and can be editted in sandbox mode

the map is generated with byte values
1000x64x1000=64000000 bytes

now for my current water system it uses floats
1000x64x1000x4=256000000 bytes

4 bytes per float unless i have mistaken.....

These are the 2 memblocks i speak of.

anyways im sure i can cut that system down further....but i do like using floats as it realy smoothens out volumes nicely.

Quote: "but the little dip in the entire water surface looks strange. It almost seems like the initial value for the water height is too low but your system is compensating for it afterwards.
"

humm... not sure if i follow...

the edges from water movement? yup it does look strange ...hehe but thats how im working with it for now. if it wasnt coded in dbp....i might beable to make a water mesh if its fast enough to do so. Lets not rule it out that it may infact be headed this way in the future.

or you ment the dip of my camera submerging into the water with the water mask covering the camera. Thats a tough one to get correct....im not gunna lie about that one. I must have tried soo many things with that water mask over the camera and i just couldnt get it right.

currently with the water mask it covers the camera only if the water volume exceeds 70% of the cube. If its less then it looks funny if the camera goes under it.

When i get a chance to look at another way of doing it i will....but for now id like to continue adding graphics to the scene....and of coarse bad guys.

As soon as i get a few more graphic tiles done i will post another update....but i have taken multiplayer out as i will be rewritting it so it runs faster then my first take on it.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2012 03:04 Edited at: 14th Sep 2012 20:28
Quote: "Link to water system in dwarf fortress and minecraft: (pages 9 and 10)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3549/interview_the_making_of_dwarf_.php?page=1 "

Yup just gave that a read....And

I tried that aproach with 10 blocks. 10 Being the biggest full volume and 1 being the smallest volume.
The problem with that system is that if you remove a block and the water needs to fill that space....it could possibly give you a funny looking lift on a few of the blocks. I had to take it another step further....

With my system its a volume of 100.000 that can fit into 1 cube space. With the dynamics i coded this value can change in float value and even exceed 100.000 When it exceeds this volume it is foreced to push that extra volume into a surounding cube that has less volume then itself if possible.

I have the exact thing coded as the diagrams show on that page.
Water moves sideways and down only.....however if water>then the cube size it will lift upward if it cant sideways.
Its realy fun to play with and i hope to release this soon for people just to play around with the water volumetrics.

Quote: "Is the water dynamic like in MineCraft yet? "

Way beyond....using a float system its as real as it can get....using plains.

edit: gunna be swapping it out with simulated water instead of a float system. It just takes up too many resources.

this cuts my total runtime usage down to 128mb instead of 320mb

I've got this new build screen invalid friendly so its now just a matter of time before i update the download for everyone. Im also writting completely new music for this game that will all be classic doom music enspired.

If i get the water done today i will update the download on sunday.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 00:12
Ok here is an updated download....

http://www.smotion3d.com/downloads/DD_Install.exe

Read the readme1st.txt file for full controls so far

I will have another update shortly in another week or 2 with more drawing blocks...etc.

The water system....i know it looks funny with the plains (gaps)
soo.... what i've done is made it so it sways like water does with waves. I think its ok for now but definetly feed back most apreciated...thanks. (its no longer a float system) =less memory

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 20:04
I just saw this, thought you might be interested.

https://www.brick-force.com/en/start/google?aid=DE_SER_Brand&gclid=COzUl6G_iLMCFYON3gode0kAFQ&rid=358

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:37:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:37:44