Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / PHP/Javascript powered Sprite Editor?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 19:48
Hey all, I'm in need of a PHP/Javascript powered Sprite editor. One doesn't exist that works in IE 8 or newer (very important so I can use it when I'm supposed to be working ), I've looked all over the internets. So I propose we get together and make one. Nothing fancy, just need to be able to edit an arbitrary sized sprite (let's say 8-64 pixels width/height), with a fill and a pencil tool and a nice palette system (maybe something like tilestudio?). The software needs to be able to save to the server it's hosted on, and be able to download it later. It should have a big blown up editor part and a little mini tiled preview section off to the side to see how it looks. It would be nice if it could support animated tiles but that could come later.

It can be in any format really. I can build and of course, share my own converter for whatever format you choose, but I don't know javascript so I'm at a loss for creating such a beast myself. I propose that one be created off of the elFinder 2.0 code base, as a plugin or extension or whatever, because it's got all the file system management stuff built in, all one would have to focus on is the sprite editor aspect and a file format. elFinder works really well for editing text, it would be cool to be able to edit sprites.

All for free? No, I'll pay a reward! I'll give you cash/paypal/giftcards and I'll help support the project as well with code hosting and/or ongoing support. Heck I'll even host a sprite server publicly for us TGCers to share sprites!

Is there anyone here that can do it or wants to do it? If so, name your price! I bet other people here might find it useful too and would be willing to throw into the pot.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 22:19
I am pretty sure there is a website that already does this...

but if I could understand the process more I could take up the bat

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 12:46
I haven't found anything like that. There's maybe one tool but it saves files locally and it's not really well suited to sprites.

Most other tools that are almost good enough for sprite creation don't even work in IE, making it unusable for me. Most of those tools only save locally.

What I'd like is an open source tool specifically created for sprite creation, with the ability to save to the local server it's hosted on.

elFinder is the perfect backend api for this tool, you can see a demo of it here. Go to the Test here folder, right click on a text file and click "edit file". What I'm thinking is, for a sprite file that the programmer woudl define, it would say "Edit file" and instead of opening up the text editor, it would open up a sprite editor.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 17:11
I see what you mean, but from what I can tell... that kind of system would have to be built from scratch however there are obvious sections of jQuery available to fill in gaps like a colour picker and a grid system... I can only look into this in about 1-2 months from now sadly... hopefully Ancient Lady will come by and see what she says

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 17:30
While certainly I'll take any system that works. But I think elfinder would be a great candidate for file management because it works well at that, has a plugin system and is flexible, fairly simple, and works well on all platforms. It is a popular file manager for many types of CMSes.

The idea is to make a plugin in elfinder that enhances it's ability to not only edit text files, add/delete/rename files, but also edit our custom "sprite" files. Right clicking on this file would bring up an "Edit Sprite" option in the menu. An editor window will pop up just like if you were editing a text file.

Instead of a text editor though, controls powered with javascript would appear, and the "save" button would save an xml or other type of file through the elfinder system. So it would appear to elfinder that you were editing a text file, but the user would not see the text, they would see these special controls used for editing.

Another way to look at it is like elfinder being akin to the Windows file system api, and HTML/Jquery is the Widgets api, and Javascript/PHP being the programming language that glues it together.

I think a simple version could be made very quickly if any javascript coders wanna jump on board!

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 21:00
You've probably seen this, but perhaps it'll give you some ideas

http://mudcu.be/sketchpad/

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 21:22 Edited at: 14th Jun 2012 21:22
Yep. No good for sprites, not open source

One of these days I'll make the UI and get all the legwork done, and have some javascript guru take care of the specifics (or take a stab at it).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 02:45
I was thinking I could make a page where I create a block of fixed cells in 10px by 10px and you specified the colours for each ^^ and then saved the screen haha thats a quickfix you would then even be able to specify the number of rows and columns...

but yeah this kind of project would take some time...

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 02:54
Sounds like a good nit of fun. Too bad that IE is the least compatible with HTML5. I might have to look into this. Reminds me of how much I wanted to have media for my text based adventure games that I wrote in javascript at work. Their computers were pretty locked down and couldn't do much on them

The fastfood zombie killer
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 04:21
Would a Java applet sprite editor work for you?

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 11:48
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 13:47
They must really have your machines locked down at work. That sucks.

PHP/Javascript, hmmm..... Weekend project!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 14:24
Quote: "They must really have your machines locked down at work. That sucks.

PHP/Javascript, hmmm..... Weekend project!"

Haha they do. But that's only a small part, I think this would be useful in that I could edit sprites from anywhere, store em in my server and then just commit my changes as needed. Kinda an IDE that moves with you, but for sprites.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 21:41
Might be an interesting project. Can't really give a time frame for completion though.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 22:24
I think that this would be a project that I could learn a lot from if I gave it a try. Do you already have a server where we could put the database at?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 04:08 Edited at: 16th Jun 2012 04:09
Ok, I'll put the code up at:

http://darkbit.devstorm.co.uk/redmine/projects/sprite-editor

Available via svn at:
http://darkbit.devstorm.co.uk/redmine/svn/sprite-editor

If you'd like to actively work on it, just sign up an account and you can work off a tag directory and then I'll merge any changes down the line.

To use the editor, you must have a php enabled server, so if you want me to setup a dev server for you I can do that too. I can't leave it publicly accessible due to the security concerns. The final product tho I'll leave open for anyone to use just like on the demo of the elFinder site.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 09:06
I'd really have to brush up on my web programming. I'll let you know when I think I'd be able to help

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:25:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:25:27