Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AdvUpdater (Updater for your games)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 13:55 Edited at: 5th Apr 2013 02:29
Project is now moved to Program Announcements
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=201709&b=5

hey guys, i made a post few weeks ago about an updater im working on over here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=197346&b=2

but since then, i changed and made lots of new features out of it.

a quick description about the updater; what it does;
basicly it syncing your project files with server, and any person who runs the launcher, automaticly reciving the latest updates.
this is a perfect updater system for tgc. the updater has an ability to protect the project's files so users cannot edit them or run their own version of media in same project.

how it works?
all you do is defining a folder to be synced with the server and the update builder start working.
you also create the launcher from the update builder that you need to send to all users. you do it only one time.

screenshot:
Updater:

Launcher:

Updater - Banner feature:

Old ChangeLog:

ONE STEP BEFORE THE RELEASE!
Change Log 3.11.12
AdvUpdater 0.95:
- Added Support of Compression, now the base total storage you got is based on COMPRESSED size only. wich improves the storage and gives aditional space.
- Added Version of the program on the title.

Launcher: 0.95:
- Added Support of Compressed files. it downloads compressed files wich improves the download time for each file.
- Old Launcher Users; just in case people already got your launcher you compiled long time ago before this update, no worries! everything work without any problems in this new version too.

Version 0.95 Beta (3/11/2012 PreRelease)
Download Link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1802543/AdvUpdater/AdvUpdater0.95PR.rar

thanks!

Advanced Updater for your games!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 14:09
This is a really nice piece of software, I recommend everyone try it out immediately!

Great work Sergey.

TheComet

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 20:01 Edited at: 17th Jun 2012 20:02
thanks TheComent, i saw you registred already on the AdvUpdater.
good luck with your projects!

and 1 more demonstration of how the launcher it self works,
i asked my friend (DigitalFury), he working now on the game called "Get Out Alive"
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=195672&b=8
he made for me a really quick application for screen saver, that shows pictures and plays music. those stuff are updated via my launcher:

so basicly, no metter how many updates he will do on his projects, all will be syncs AUTOMATICLY once you run the launcher.

so enjoy it

launcher: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1802543/AdvUpdater/ScreenSaver.rar
make sure you run it from empty folder.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 20:43
So basicly,if I have a game,and well,a lot of people buy it,but then I update the game,so then all people need to do is download this from my site to update there games?

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 22:03 Edited at: 17th Jun 2012 22:04
erm. not exactly understood what you meant, but..
basicly if you are a game developer, and you want to create new updates for the game. all you do is update your own source. all people that run the launcher will have the latest files of your game automaticly.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 02:25
Thats the exact thing I asked my friend.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 11:58
hmm.... how does that protect the game files then?

Quote: "this is a perfect updater system for tgc. the updater has an ability to protect the project's files so users cannot edit them or run their own version of media in same project."

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 18:22 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 18:25
Quote: "hmm.... how does that protect the game files then?

Quote: "this is a perfect updater system for tgc. the updater has an ability to protect the project's files so users cannot edit them or run their own version of media in same project.""

after the updater launches, it automaticly opens up the Project.exe file, try to run the project.exe WITHOUT the launcher. see what it says.. this is a protection of the exe it self. so only the launcher can run it. so there always be the lasted updates of your game. if you try to run the Project.Exe WITHOUT updating the files, the Project.exe wont allow you to do that.

also, try to remove 1 of the projects files, once u run the launcher, they all comming back without any change.

also, try to edit the files in notepad, see that the launcher restores back the files to the originals.

also, try to add a new random file into the game directory, run the launcher it see what it says.

thats basicly the protection. as i said;
there is no chance to hack it (unless you know whats the password that passing bettween the launcher and the Project.exe - and there is no other way to know that)

@ MrValentine: the sample attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 19:10
umm so not Protection, but Tamper Proof... so this will never work for SPP I guess...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "umm so not Protection, but Tamper Proof... so this will never work for SPP I guess...
"

as i said. it works only for your own projects, and you still can steal the media if u have enough knowlage of how to do that.
my app just gives you a protection of creating mods by the users by changing the scripts or media files..

but whats spp anyways?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 10:37 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 10:38
SPP

Smart Packer Pro

EDIT

Typo in bold

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@MrValentine: ahh i see what you mean. and no. my program doesnt do that. i see no reason making app that already exists anyway.

but in any case, my program works along with SPP pretty good.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 14:17
Hey Sergey K, I meant does your app support it hehe >.< not are you copying it...

can you show it working with SPP? pretty please... no rush just when you have free time

if so, I would love to use your tool for this as SPP's updating function is kind of broken or flawed as I could never get it to work... however I will try to see if Michael can help me get it working... as it cost me a lot of cash for what it does...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 15:52 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 15:52
@ MrValentine: i made a demo using the Smart Packer, but it seems like the Smart Packer got a small problem with passing parameters via the command line.. so unless the guy who made the Smart Packer fixes his Command Line problem, untill then, you will be able to run the exe from the SPP's executable it self.

but it all works as planned.

the if you already downloaded the Launcher, you dont need to re-download it again. just run it.
if not, use this one to download it:
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2364884

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 22:20
You've got some nice GUI going over there!

I like it

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You've got some nice GUI going over there!
"

thanks.
the best part, is everything is animated and smooth working.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 23:40
What kind of font did you use? Certainly not the DBP-inbuilt one, right?
I used cloggy's d3d-font-functions for a GUI I did some time ago, but as far as I remember it looked somewhat worse.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 19:20 Edited at: 20th Jun 2012 19:29
@Mr Kohlenstoff: its not made with in dbp. i made it in Delphi.
but the font i was using is "Segoe UI" Regular and Semibold.
also, i saw your game you working on, the Tower Defance. it looks very basic. most of the games that looks very basic, they mostly a really fun game play.
i hope you will find my updater useful for your game too.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
ok guys good news!
i got new version of the AdvUpdated for you!

- removed some debugs
- added some more smoothness at the uploading time
- added account managment, so you are able to manage few accounts on one computer.
- added up to 1GB for Free users of cloud! enjoy ya all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1802543/AdvUpdater/AdvUpdater05Beta.rar

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@ MrValentine: good news!
i talked to the SmartPacker team, they said they will make a support for my AdvUpdater on their next versions.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 00:57
Quote: "@ MrValentine: good news!
i talked to the SmartPacker team, they said they will make a support for my AdvUpdater on their next versions."

RESULT!!! now I can ask will you be charging for this system and I noticed you have some dort of internal membership system... how does that work?

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
v. simple..
free user gets 1GB free storage for each registartion he make
a beta tester, as my project tester gets an unlimited storage
and in future, once i finish my beta testings, i will add some Donations and storage expanding for the payments.
so about 10$ for every 1GB or so.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@ MrValentine: just in case you want to be a beta tester, i signed your name "MrValentine" as a beta tester
so if when u do a registartion, make sure you put "MrValentine" on the login/game name input. then choose the "beta testing" option.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 02:35
Thank you for the offer but to me that is excessively overpriced as I have my own servers with a vast amount of storage and guaranteed SLAs to boot... So thats why I asked...

I think you need to male a self hosted variant... And one that does not use your databases...

But for the majority your service is beneficial just not for me ^^

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@ MrValentine: you forgetting what im offering here.
im offering here a program, not a storage.
every1 have a storage of their own, but not that kind of program that will do updates for them.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 10:10
Thats what I was trying to figure out...

What is your membership system for¿

And is it a completely atandalone system¿
you are awesome man you deserve to make this app a success¡

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 18:12
@ MrValentine

I don't think you understand what this is. Sergey is providing a solution for game developers so they can easily update their games for everyone efficiently.

The developer creates an account on this system. He is given 1 GB of storage space for his project. From there he is able to upload all of his game files to Sergey's server.

If the developer wants to distribute the game he's making, all he has to do is send the game's updater to all of his clients. You can export an updater from Sergey's program.

What this updater does is it connects with your allocated storage space where you saved your game and downloads everything to the client. Whenever the developer has a newer version of his game, all he has to do is update the files on his account, and the clients will be able to download the update automatically.

This is much better than always having to zip your project, upload it, and then tell everyone "hey, a new version is out, download it!". It just happens automatically.

I hope this clarifies what Sergey's product does.

TheComet

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 18:12 Edited at: 24th Jun 2012 18:13
Quote: "And is it a completely atandalone system¿"

yes.
and in future, if there will be a requests, i might make it on OS.X.

Quote: "What is your membership system for¿"

the registration is all about registering your game name on my file server. so when you setting up the files you want to 'share' with everyone, they will be uploaded to the server, and they all be stored under your game name. thats whats the registration for.
so in anyplace where you try to run the launcher it self, inside the launcher, is included the game name of your registartion, so he will know wich files to download.

thats basiclly all.

edit:
@ TheComet: wow v. fast reply. a second before me!

thanks!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 12:55
im not confused with the product, but by standalone I mean using my own databases instead of a third party... Its not that I do not trust you, its just I would like some measure of contrl should the third party suddenly dissappear for whatever reason leaving my games broken... thats all

I do not mind paying for such a product say £30-£40 whereby I can get support and also use my own resources [I have a MySQL database server...]

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 16:38
Ah, I see what you're getting at. It would be pretty cool to be able to configure what database the client connects to.

TheComet

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
ipage.com - thats the servers i use. and before i joined this ipage, i saw an online servers ratings and ipage was the highest rates. 99.6% or so. its not like it uses my own computer for space or something. there is no chance the files will dissapear or be broken. the updater is very simple, and it even not uses any kind of MySQL database. its not like there is actually any kind of account information to store.
just file list of the game and game name. thats all. its all encrypted anyways.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 14:42
Quote: "i saw an online servers ratings and ipage was the highest rates. 99.6% or so."

possibly the worst thing you could do... [some companies pay for BS reviews]

that site has BOLD claims as being 100% wind powered servers, they must be worth billions to have their own wind farms...

[does a whois check... ooo Tocows...] fair enough...

however I still think you need to allow us to use our own servers

Quote: "there is no chance the files will dissapear or be broken. "

what happens when you fail to make a payment towards the service?

Quote: "just file list of the game and game name."

so its an XML file?

I have been doing web based work since 2007 and in my experience if its not on my server, it will never work...

so please amend it to use our own server as from a business standpoint this is a critical element...

I am not trying to stomp you in anyway [Mario 64 ] but just trying to get a valid USP [Unique Selling Point] across to you... your app will have more value with the flexibility of being specific to a clients requirements...

I do not know how your app currently works as its current description does not tickle my fancy but as mentioned before it works for some but for those like me who spend the extra money for partocilar services [a proper web host and services] I would prefer to use my own servers as having no control when everything goes all wrong, will end the life of my product... [When things go wrong for my hosting or servers my turn around is within a matter of hours if not minutes]

I hope this makes my point clear by now >.< I really want to see your product SHINE!!! and wish to make use of it as my current option of SPP I need to experiement with it more... but it does not show any form of progress data when it is downloading, so thats not ideal as it comes across as a bit of a bug... and end users fail to realise what is going on... I need to talk with Michael about that...

Quote: "Ah, I see what you're getting at. It would be pretty cool to be able to configure what database the client connects to.
"

thanks TheComet glad you follow me now

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "however I still think you need to allow us to use our own servers"

i still see no reason for that though.

no. my own file format.

Quote: "what happens when you fail to make a payment towards the service?"

they notify me month before the payments are done for.
and if its not enough, they will close the server only 2 weeks AFTER the time is expired. they also will keep the databases another year. so there is no chance to close the servers.
so far so good with the project. i reported this tool on 2 more websites, and so far so good with it! if it keeps that way, i wont need to close the server anyways

anyway. i see no reeason to keep arguing with you about a pointless things like those. Do i?. you ask me questions even before you tried the tool.
please has some experiance with it, and THEN ask for change

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 22:23
I have nothing positive to say so I shall leave it there...

good luck with this though...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2012 01:42 Edited at: 30th Jun 2012 01:42
good news you all!
i've been taken an interview about my AdvUpdater on CNET.com
and today they posted the report about my app.
http://download.cnet.com/AdvUpdater/3000-2216_4-75740350.html

also, from that interview, they asked what my company does.. and here is what they reported:

Quote: "This company creates a great push for the game makers by making supporting applications for their games. With a power of our supporting applications, your games will rock! make the best of it with our latest product: AdvUpdater. and more."

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
i saw that i had about 3-4 accounts that users registred and didnt know how to setup the whole syncing thing.
so i made a quick video of how-to do that.

how to set your project up video:

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Sergey, well done. Looks impressive and yet easy to use and implement. Thanks!

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 09:10
I agree with MrValentine. You need to allow developers to host their content on their own servers, otherwise it doesn't make sense. If we make a great game we might as well just use Steam!

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I agree with MrValentine. You need to allow developers to host their content on their own servers, otherwise it doesn't make sense. If we make a great game we might as well just use Steam!
"

ok, i still see no reason for that, but cuz we are a Democratic ppl. and it looks like 3 votes were for own host servers.
So lets say i make it that way.
Then since my main idea was making free 1GB of space for every account, add for about 10$ they can upgrade another 1GB. how should it work now this time?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 19:23
Quote: "how should it work now this time?"

sell the program and let users to host it on their own servers or sell 1/2/3 etc.. year licence for using the program

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 22:07
Quote: "unless you know whats the password that passing bettween the launcher and the Project.exe - and there is no other way to know that"

Passing like [open "c:\game.exe" /password] ?

«It's the Pony, pony me this, pony me that» — Bronies
«Socks are sexy. You should wear them!» — Bronies
«I sell apples and apple accessories» — Applejack
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 22:14 Edited at: 10th Jul 2012 22:15
Quote: "Passing like [open "c:\game.exe" /password] ?"

yup.
and see. you cant replace the game.exe executable with other executable to find that password. the launcher wont give ya the opertunety to do that.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 17:09 Edited at: 11th Jul 2012 17:20
Tee hee
Process Explorer

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@mrHandy: cool.
i guess ill make a quick check for "illegal opened programs"
so when the launcher will find that "process Explorer" program opened, it wont open the launcher

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@mrHandy: cool.
i guess ill make a quick check for "illegal opened programs"
so when the launcher will find that "process Explorer" program opened, it wont open the launcher "

There should be a better solution than that since you would not be able to maintain such list.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
there are always be some hacking systems that can hack it..
but for simple gamer user, the one who uses the Launcher. its pretty good system

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 07:55 Edited at: 12th Jul 2012 07:56
@Serkey K
Quote: "so when the launcher will find that "process Explorer" program opened, it wont open the launcher"

Don't even bother, it won't work.

Anyway, what happens if user turns off internet connection?

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@mrHandy: no updates, no launch.
99% of all PCs are connected to internet in one way or another... so no point launching the exe without internet

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "99% of all PCs are connected to internet in one way or another..."

Where did you get that number from, I personally know a few people who cannot access the net due to their rural location.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
and I don't know any GAMERS without internet..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:20:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:20:12