Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [x9] Darkness Descending Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 05:13 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 21:10
This is the first level of my current work in progress.

Plot: The story is still a WIP, but you are sent to investigate mysterious cases of the hotel residents who have gone missing, with some strange symbols left behind. This level takes place in an abandoned hotel, but there will be a couple of different environments in the different levels.

Gameplay:This game is a horror/mystery game. There will be some action in this game, but it won't revolve around you killing monsters. Instead, it's more about the exploration and revelation of info as you explore the different levels.

You can view more on my photobucket album.

And I've finally managed to pretty much "finish" the first level! Please download it and give it a try. It's about 180mb compressed to 50mb for a smaller download.

Demo Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?uu0uagw6igpyn9r

-Adrian
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 05:50
looks nice downloading now will leave c&c tomerow

cheers,

Nilloc

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to (600x120) maximum size
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 05:50
looks nice downloading now will leave c&c tomerow

cheers,

Nilloc

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to (600x120) maximum size
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 02:17
Thanks

Oh yeah, let's not forget the credits:

- Nickydude
- Lightning Bolt Studios
- Bond1
- Cyborg Art
- TeamHalo
- Wolf
- Kravenwolf

Hope I didn't forget anyone!

-Adrian
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 18:25 Edited at: 30th Jun 2012 01:41
I've played the level 3 times and here is my review:

The Good
Ambition and dedication:
Its obvious, that the devloper is serious about creating a game. Writing plots, building maps, producing screenshots - all that has zero value, if there is nothing playable at the end. But here is a playable level, that has no technical errors and a steady framerate. I features a custom menu, loading screen and scripts (which all work) and a trick that was new to me. As small as the demo might be, it seems tested and polished. And that counts.
Custom scripts:
Yes, I am a sucker for text display, I know - but they DO add to atmosphere and immersion in this demo.
The mirror trick:
You can can actually look into the mirrors in the gents toilet in the lobby. The execution of the trick could have been better but I found that impressing.

The Bad:
Level design:
A hotel lobby with no windows, rooms with no bathroom (and also no windows of course) and doors that close automatically. The lobby toilets are as large as in a train station and a WW2 radio is prominently displayed. On top of it, the 4 segment-wide "pillar" in the middle is architectural nonsense. This is a nightmare level, but unfortunately not gamewise.
Use of media:
This is stock at its worst. The chateau and library segments could have been use a lot better and adding Metro Theater elements just made it worse. AND there is a ton of free media by Cosmic Prophet available, that is actually MADE to create a (grand)hotel. Why not use that?
Lights:
It is SO obvious, that the developer wanted dark corners. But it doesn't look like the place is run down or derelict - rather like someone replaced all the regular light bulbs with 15 watt ones on purpose. It would look a lot more realistic to have all the lightsources be as bright as they should be, while simply have 2 out of 3 not working.

The Ugly:
Spooky sound trigger zones:
No. Please. Don't.
Test displays:
I like those generally but as Wolf pointed out in the WIP thread, some make no sense at all or seem out of place.

PS: I learned to HATE that sitting skeleton. Personally I call it "the late Mr. Obvious" and I beg everybody to stop using it.

On my personal demo scale it's a straight 2 out of 5 and I'd call it "a serious attempt to create a game but unfortunately it suffers severly from basic flaws".

For the devoloper:
This is a game I WANT to like and I hope you continue developing it. If I can be of any assistance providing scripts or do playtesting, send me an email.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
JayPaul
Years of Service
User Offline
That was great! I didn't see flaws that I can remark, if they were there they were small.

It was scary. That part where you duck under the planks, I was backing in to see how far I could go into the darkness and I was an inch away from screaming when the lights turned on.

Great job.
TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 05:28
Quote: "I learned to HATE that sitting skeleton. Personally I call it "the late Mr. Obvious" and I beg everybody to stop using it."

the WW2 stock skeleton...
You might find some good use for it someday....

Joey-May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
Favourite Game-Call Of Duty MW2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:13:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:13:50