Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / DropBox can install APK files!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 02:47
I just learned this, maybe it's old news, but DropBox can install APK files on Android phones and tablets.

Very handy.

Some days, the bear will eat you.
Some days, you'll eat the bear.
Today, I'm eating the bear!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 20:52
Does this mean I can upload an APK file to DropBox, like a demo. Then post a link like on this forum and people can install it on their Android device?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 22:31
I believe that's correct.

But you could also upload the APK to the forum, and folks could transfer the file themselves, either with their USB cable or some other method, dropbox, etc.

But I think it's way more cool to put it in dropbox and just post a link.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 23:06 Edited at: 1st Jul 2012 23:12
It's a lot easier to install through a link.

Well here's a question. If the app is installed on the phone through Dropbox. Can it then be spread further or is it locked to that phone?

Oh, and do you need to pay anything for this service or can you get it for free? I got a free Box account (signed up for 50GB free) but the free accounts have limited functions. Didn't find any info about this on Dropbox myself.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 02:30
I'm using the free version, no problems installing an apk file. I don't think it's locked to a phone. You can download the AppGameKit player APK from your "products" page, so I guess once it's out in public, anybody could install it.

vladyandrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 00:05 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 10:33
I didn't check that. This is pretty cool. That means that I can upload to dropbox apk files from my pc , and from my android device I can install this apk files from dropbox app?

Your signature has been erased by a mod - spam advertising
iam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 12:51
Yes you can do exactly that. Not locked to a device either, I often use this method so that my unwitting beta testers, I mean friends and coworkers, can try out my latest builds. Nothing beats a friend banging around on your app to find new bugs!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 00:21
Yea, dropbox or just email it to yourself
I've found that using Astro and wirelessly connect to my home LAN allows me to easily drop the APK to a network resource and pick it up from there with Astro.

@iam: Yes, I emailed my latest build to a couple of freinds at work: one dropboxed it in, the other installed it directly from his email.

TheTeenDevs
Years of Service
User Offline
That's cool! I use dropbox all the time. Now what I do after compiling in tier 2 I export it to the dropbox folder on my computer and install the app with the android dropbox app!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:08:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:08:59