Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / New site with resources for Db developers (Ultra hi-res textures 2048x1536) work in progress..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 19:28
There is a new site to get Hi-Res textures:

http://www.akdusa.com

All textures there 256x192 are FREE to download and use!
Site offers really cheap Ultra Hi-Res textures like 2048x1536 or 1024 pixels wide..

Site created by us - programmers For DB users and other 3D maniacs!

Check it out! New textures are uploaded daily!

Arseny
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 23:05 Edited at: 8th Nov 2003 23:09
256x192? Whats with the scale? The textures look okay. Are they seamless? A lot of them seemed to be things that wouldnt be super usefull. Also there is a lot of lighting on some of the textures which doesnt work well in realtime.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 00:23
Quote: "Site offers really cheap Ultra Hi-Res textures like 2048x1536 or 1024 pixels wide"

Although you would have to scale the textures down considerably for use in-game. Hi-res textures can really slow the game down on older cards.

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 01:22
the textures arent seamless. basically all hes done is taken loads of pictures of random things and trying to sell them

the artist formally known as darkfluff
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 02:17 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 02:21
Not bad, but there are some problems.

1) looks like eek said... you are basically just selling a bunch of pictures you (or someone) took of things.

2) if these are for game development, you need to make them seamless.

3) also, most game developers don't use textures bigger than 512 x 512. some do, and that's fine, you can offer different sizes of the same texture, but whenever I rescale larger images in my image program they tend to have fuzzy edges that "fudge" their seamless property if they are indeed seamless.

4) Most game developers who have a digital camera are going to want to take pictures and create their own textures. at least, I would rather create a game with my own textures rather than buy someone elses.

5) a lot of the pictures have obvious lens distortion (fisheye effect- bulged in the center). if these are professional you need to find a way to correct this distortion.

I have a sign beside my door-hinge, that says nothing rhymes with orange.

Soul Defender: 75% GodMode RPG: 5%
Dsarchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 20:48
Some of the textures still have shine on them. Either from another light source or a camera flash.

"Is it really good is a hoover sucks?"
mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 06:37
Thanks for comments guys..

I basicaly have lots of textures accumilated over years of development, what I have they are even larger than 2048x1536 but no body in a right state of mind will use that..

I thought that it would be nice to buy a huge realy high res texture and then you can scale it or just use a piece of it in any size you need like 512x512 or 1024x1024..

They are JPEGS with compression at 10 out of 10 (so almost no compression) those preview ones to save space on site at compressed at 3 out of 10 so some look really bad But when you buy you get nice ones

Yes, they are not seamless, it's hard to make them seamles (I mean real life pics, not computer generated or drawn).

I was looking for textures a while back and found that site that sold like 1 texture (at 512x512 or 1024x1024) SEAMLESS for $4 to $7 EACH!

So I decided if anybody had just basic but high res textures of different surface for like $4 but for _20_ files I would buy some just to color my game quickly..

Some of them a distorted because surface was photographed closely and some have flash/uneven lights but there is some instances where I need those textures so I put them up..

I will continue loading them up on that site, if you need like bunch of textures for a few bucks you know where to get them

Thanks for comments guys.

Arseny

p.s. Pictures taken by me I have even higher res photos to prove it
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 17:12
^2x^2

repeat after me

^2x^2

Thankyou

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 01:57 Edited at: 12th Nov 2003 01:58
I have some decent utilities to make textures seamless (namely Texture Maker), you could send me one sample texture (email in profile) for an example of what I can do .

(preferably one like grass or dirt... the first on the page is a good example)

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 02:08
Here's the first texture's sample version seamless:

http://darkmouse.dbpcommunity.com/seamless.jpg

I won't be able to 'operate' on many of those textures however, most don't have enough repetition/noise. You'd have to find someone with +RU3 P|-|0+0S|-|0P SK11LZ for that .

A very nice %it, indeed.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like someone took a cheap digi-cam to random surfaces in and out of their house - no offense to you, just stating my opinion...

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 03:26
mouse, seamless and tiling well are two very different things. Even when made seamless these textures will never work well in realtime because sections of them are too loud. Its very obviouse when you see these in realtime that they are a repeating pattern.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 03:00
Oh yes, I'm aware it tiles poorly . But seamless & tiling poorly is better than not seamless & tiling poorly. Such textures can still have uses for small enclosed areas or the like. Although not much

A very nice %it, indeed.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 09:36
Quote: "Yes, they are not seamless, it's hard to make them seamles (I mean real life pics, not computer generated or drawn).

I was looking for textures a while back and found that site that sold like 1 texture (at 512x512 or 1024x1024) SEAMLESS for $4 to $7 EACH!"

your prices are not bad, but what you are actually selling is just photos taken directly out of camera. I have tons of these. And I also know it takes a lot of time and work to edit one of those to a game texture. And of course, it requires a lot from the original image too.

p.s I think I commented somewhere else too...

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 23:55
You guys are amazing

Cheap camera this was taken with is Sony DSC-P9 with 4.2 MPixels, for a low low price of $599.00

It has _12 bit_ ADC with 3 different matrixes and 24 different focus zones..

These pictures are a raw material (as stated below) for you to use in you texturing needs. It is very easy to make TONS of seamless textures with something like Texture maker (I'm doing so if I need to). I probably going to add some that would be EDITED, they would be seamless etc..

Have you ever saw a computer generated movie? Did you notice how everything looked not real because textures are always 100% perfect, even if it rusted metal or something.. with my REAL textures some nice editing and placement will give you closer to reality feeling..
In reality every spot you look has different shadow, stain, scratch or something.

I tried texturing large outdoor scene with Texture Maker generated grass and my real grass texture - and what a difference!

Anyway, I started putting them on website after I found that people usualy sell REAL life textures in hi-res for $4+ EACH!

Hope somebody would need them sometime..

Thanks guys!

mhack

Hi-Res textures for your game.. [url]akdusa.com[/url]
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 05:20 Edited at: 15th Nov 2003 05:21
Quote: "Cheap camera this was taken with is Sony DSC-P9 with 4.2 MPixels, for a low low price of $599.00

It has _12 bit_ ADC with 3 different matrixes and 24 different focus zones.."

So the problem isn't the camera then.

Quote: "Have you ever saw a computer generated movie? Did you notice how everything looked not real because textures are always 100% perfect"

Too much Pixar, not enough Industrial Light & Magic. The difference is one is a cartoon company, the other you dont notice until the credits roll* (sure you can tell Pearl Harbour isn't real, of course it isn't, because you know it is computer generated before you begin watching it - what about those other movies where if your sad enough to watch the credits you just happen to see the name appear and wonder what they actually did...).

Quote: "I tried texturing large outdoor scene with Texture Maker generated grass and my real grass texture - and what a difference! "

Self certification, whilst not shamefull in itself, should be provenanced.

Quote: "Anyway, I started putting them on website after I found that people usualy sell REAL life textures in hi-res for $4+ EACH!"

My brother saw the junk on turbosquid and made a similar model just to see if people actually buy that stuff. They dont.

My advice mate, is to learn a little about photography, I studied photography only briefly on a day release and worked as a photographer for 3 months so I would not pressume to try and give advise on the subject, I simply dont know enough.

What I can say without fear of prejudice is that I have no plans to use the textures due to what I consider technical deficiencies in the photography, their aspect ratio and the non-wrappability (suiteable for some textures, but surfaces must wrap).

However you can solve these issues and provide a product that users around here may be interested in. Or you can 'defend' against the onslaught of opinion from your potential customers.

Anyway, dont listen to me, I have a huge texture directory anyway and can pretty much manufature any texture I want with my "+RU3 P|-|0+0S|-|0P SK11LZ" so i'm not even a potential customer

Infact I only post around here to upset would be members of the community and scare them away. I'm nasty and meen, and i'm not interested in helping you deliver something of value at all.

If they where free nobody would be critical (maybe silent), but they aren't so here you have a great market research opportunity, if not a sales one.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 06:25
Looks like I'm going to pull the textures out to put new projects on my web site anyway..

A few more days and then no more textures

BTW, the perfect seamless texture - is a solid color so if it's not solid it will ALWAY have some pattern to it..

Thank you guys for feedback,

mhack

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 08:50
Actually thats not really true. As mip maps lose resolution you can set up a texture to come to a solid tone. This way up close details can be made out but from any distance less and less can. Aniso combats that to some extent but it still applies.

mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 19:56
I don't think SOLID tone is a texture anymore

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2003 18:01 Edited at: 17th Nov 2003 18:01
you missed what i said. The texture isnt a solid tone. It just becomes one at a distance as the mip maps drop the resolution and its is filtered.

mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 17:18
What we were arguing about? I forgot already..
Anyway thanks for your interest guys..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:22:42