Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBC] Simple Shooter (FPS Project)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 01:09 Edited at: 1st Jul 2012 01:16
Hi,

I've recently been working on a retro inspired FPS. Written in DarkBasic Classic, the game already features a lot of the basics behind a good FPS game.

I'd like to resolve any major compatability issues before developing things further, and so I am releasing an Alpha Build.

I'd be grateful for any feedback or bug reports; whether you post them here or e-mail me at the address listed in the readme.

You can download the zipped build from :
http://nalacreations.com/Alpha.zip

I blog about this project on the following page :
http://nalacreations.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for checking this out!

ChrisGDK
Years of Service
User Offline
This is really fun! I can't wait for more content to be added.

Do you have any plans for a multiplayer mode?
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 03:42
I can't play it yet because my internet is terrible and I'm downloading a game at the moment. However, I must say I like the look of it a lot. Good work!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 13:49
Same here, love the retro look

The fastfood zombie killer
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 14:04
That was surprisingly entertaining, nice job! A great example that graphics aren't everything.

TheComet

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 16:19
I like it, the gameplay feels very smooth. One thing you should consider though is increasing the AI's reaction time. Maybe it is just me, but the fact that they always shot me before I even saw them seemed a bit unfair.
A good start though, I'm looking forward to some more complex (maybe even scripted?) maps.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 16:53
Thank you all for the very encouraging comments!

As far as multiplayer is concerned, I am aiming to add a splitscreen co-operative mode.

I will also be tinkering with the AI, and hope to have things a little more balanced come the next release.

My next step may be in changing the way that I create my maps, as I would very much like to create more complex environments. The engine works with 3D space, so I will experiment with full camera control and placing enemies above and below the player.

Scripting is also planned, as I'd like to include a few dramatic events during gameplay.

Thanks again for trying this and providing feedback. I'm very happy to hear that people like it!
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 11:54
Apologies for the bump, but I've heard from one Windows 7 64-bit user that my game fails to run. Can anyone else confirm or deny this, please?

Thank you.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 15:53 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 15:55
I use Win7 x64 Ultimate and it ran fine. Does he have all required DLLs? If the program reports missing DLLs (like MSVCP71.dll or something) you'll have to google it, manually download it and place it in the same directory as the executable. If that doesn't work, tell him to try running it in compatibility mode (right-click on it->properties->compatibility->check the box and select Windows XP service pack 3).

TheComet

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 04:44
I love the look of this game. I don't know why but I always find this style draws me into a game. It might have something to do with the simplicity allows my imagination to fill in the rest of the details.

It ran fine on my windows 7 (32 bit) net book.

I think the one to remember is the d3drm.dll. I had to put this onto my net book in order to run DBC.

In terms of game play, someone's already mentioned having a bit of delay before the emenies start shooting and I think it would be nice to have some visual cue of when the player has hit an enemy.

Looking at what you wrote about future plans in your readme file, I think the one to sort out first is the enemy AI as I think this could have the greatest impact on the game play, more so than placing enemies above and below the player or having more complicated maps.

For instance, at the moment the enemies always face the player. If you had it so that the player had to be within the enemies field of view for the enemy to shoot at them, this would then allow a limited amount of stealthing. So, in the map in the demo, you have that bit the goes left and right. If the enemy was facing a particular direction, say with his back to the ammo box then this would allow the player to sneak behind the guard, pick up the ammo and then shoot the guard in the back.

You would probably need to add in some code so the guards will turn to face the player under certain conditions (like being shot at, even if the player misses)

Anyway, you should definitely keep working on this.
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 00:20
Played it and loved it! I got back into computers after I played Doom so I am forever a fan of old school shooters. Good job!

Lead programmer ULIDIA
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 15:31
Thank you all for responding!

I was very happy to hear that the game ran fine on at least one copy of Windows 7, 64-bit. This helped me discover that the user who couldn't get it to run simply hadn't unzipped the contents of the archive!

I'm also grateful for the constructive feedback, and have taken the points on point. I will be adding some visual feedback to a shot connecting with the enemy, by way of a flinch animation, which may also lead to an affect on the enemies behaviour. I also plan to have the enemies shout out upon seeing the player.

I'm touched by the warm reception this has received, and hope to have an update on the project soon.
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 07:53 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 07:54
Yeah it ran just fine for me on my Win7 64-bit... But I also want to say I really liked the game.. It ran smooth, I can't wait to see more

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 12:19
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. Happy to have more confirmation of 64-bit Windows 7 support, and happier still to hear that you enjoyed the game. Thank you!
TheMechanic
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I like the game, it's very 'clean' and 'smooth' so that is definately a bonus in my book.

I would like to see this on mobile, would be cool to play multiplayer
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 22:48 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2012 23:59
Sorry for the lack of updates on this, but I've recently added full mouselook and textured ceilings and floors.

Here's an updated screenshot :

A further update - Items are now picked up with a button press, not just by running over them.

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 00:11
Wolfenstein anyone?

Looks great!

I'm familiar with this, but I'm still learning!
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 22:52 Edited at: 28th Aug 2012 22:55
Thanks, FPSCgamerguy2!

I've now added a crosshair that expands with player activity (making it harder to aim whilst moving and shooting). I've also added a zoom ability.

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 16:40
very nice, It will be a great game!

are there any weapons and enemies planned, for future updates?

Fulfilling the prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 21:42
Thank you for the kind words, Nerevar. Much appreciated!

And further weapons and enemies are planned, yes. Once I have a couple more gameplay elements added (a sprint function and death routines are on the way), then I will begin overhauling the visuals and putting together the first complete maps. Enemy and weapon variations will be added at the map making stage.

Thanks for your interest!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 23:20
Was quite entertaining and can't complain about gameplay. Could use a little extra in the way of spin to make it more exciting to play, but very good.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2012 22:02 Edited at: 7th Oct 2012 22:06
I've done some slight work to the wall textures and HUD.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:11:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:11:49