Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [dark Dynamix] Installing the DarkGDK version of Dynamix help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 01:27
I feel like an idiot that I can not figure out how to install dark dynamix for darkgdk. the readme.txt only gives directions for the DarkBasic installation and i'm very confused. there is no install program for the gdk version just the files for darkgdk and i can't figure out where to put them and test that it all works. I think that this is explained somewhers on the website, but I just can't find it. so I must be missing something, please help.

thank you

=Arkii=

Heres Johnny
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 02:04 Edited at: 5th Jul 2012 02:05
TGC create the installer, I presumed the installer would put everything where it was needed but maybe not, I've never installed it

Anyway, there are lots of ways you can handle this, I will give you the simplest way. For the DarkGDK version of Dark Dynamix you should have two folders:

Include
Lib

Locate where DarkGDK is installed, on my machine it's:
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK

Then copy the contents of 'Include'(DarkDynamix.h) into the DarkGDK 'Include' folder.

Then copy the contents of 'Lib' (DarkDynamix.lib, NxCharacterLib etc..) into the DarkGDK 'Lib' folder.

You should be good to go Let me know if this works for you, thanks.

JohnA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 08:09
Cool, ty i did this and this part works. The next linker message is that the compiler can not find the .dll files that comes with the physx engine. I have this in the bin dir that can with the .zip i downloaded with the dark dynamix, i just can't figure out where to put them.
ty

p.s. do i need to install anything from NVIDIA such as the engine, or is it included with the rest of the files and .dll s

=Arkii=

Heres Johnny
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 16:19 Edited at: 5th Jul 2012 16:22
The easy solution is to put the required dll's into your project, where 'main.cpp' is located, although the media may also need moving if you do it like this, for the examples anyway.

The better solution to run the examples is to change the working directory for the project:

project->properties->configuration properties->debugging
In the 'Working Directory' field put:
../../../bin
These means 'bin' is back 3 directories, I think this is right.

EDIT: You should not need anything from the PhysXSDK, although I recommend people download it for the PhysX viewer and the documentation.

JohnA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 20:18
thank you matty, i don't think i could do this without people like you. I've got it working, with your help .

=Arkii=

Heres Johnny
ddsmvwls
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having the same problems. I tried copying all the files originally and changing compiler settings and environment settings.

I found this thread and went through it step by step as above.

I've had the same kind of problem with other dark gdk modules. SC_Collision is the only one I've really been able to get to work.

I'm lost with this problem. Using VC++ 2008. Everything else works fine so far.

This is my error with dynamix:

1>------ Build started: Project: Galaxy-X, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Linking...
1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl dynStop(void)" (?dynStop@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "void __cdecl DarkGDK(void)" (?DarkGDK@@YAXXZ)
1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl dynStart(void)" (?dynStart@@YA_NXZ) referenced in function "void __cdecl DarkGDK(void)" (?DarkGDK@@YAXXZ)
1>Debug\Galaxy-X.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Work\Galaxy-X\GX-C++\Galaxy-X\Galaxy-X\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Galaxy-X - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 15:34
This means it has found the header files but it can't find the lib.

What I never mentioned above is that you need to specify which Dark Dynamix lib you are using.

Let me know if that was the problem, thanks.

ddsmvwls
Years of Service
User Offline
It worked but strangely.

There was 32 linker warnings. Normally warnings don't bother me but, 32 consecutive all naming modules of dgdk seems suspect.

After running the program I got several odd messages in the output window.

My system had a long run of loading and unloading components before finally loading and running. I didn't notice in my debug test but its there in the output. about a 100 lines worth.

So its working but it looks potentially unstable to me.

Thanks for the help.
JohnA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 04:49
DDSMVWL,
This seems to be that DarkPYSX itself is not completely un-installed correctly. Which version of of Visual c++ are u using? first unload the use of the darkphysx.h from your main.cpp and if u still get the errors then try to uninstall darkphysx. Dark dynamix takes the place of it as a better engine with tons more features and better collision detection.
hope this helps.

=Arkii=

Heres Johnny
ddsmvwls
Years of Service
User Offline
every aspect of DP I could find is completely uninstalled.

There are still linker warnings building a debug version. They all say no debug information included in dynamix. I can live with that since there are no errors or warnings in a release build and test.

However, On exit of a debug run there is still a couple of the un/loading messages noted before. but literally, just 2.

The troubling part is on exit of a release build I get a system error for: exception oxc0000005

I went through the auto debug report info to send to microsoft, registers were cleared on all modules and no flags were set. The stack was cleared except for very basic program header information.

Only thing I can think of is something in the multi-thread is not closing properly or I'm not handing the close event in the shut down section of my program.

any ideas?

This is my basic close out section:

delete Bitmaps is temped out because I'm not loading them while testing other aspects.

All other data is stored in classes that release themselves. Data files are closed and released immediately after being accessed.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 18:29
Are you linking to 'DarkDynamix_Debug'?

Try dynFetchResults( ) before dynStop( ). Otherwise it could still be simulating while you are releasing it and can cause a crash.

ddsmvwls
Years of Service
User Offline
The help file that came packaged with my download does not work. Al is see the index and error messages saying the page cannot load. That makes it difficult at best to know what all the commands are and what they do.

So; I added the command you mentioned then I went through the included examples and constructed a working simulate loop, including the fetch results command you suggested.

This stopped un-handled exceptions with the release version, which still compiles correctly. My debug compile is still a little shaky since it reports there is no debug info in the libraries and I'm using the pragma debug command.

As long as it continues to build at this level and remain stable in release I can make it work.

A working help file would be extremely useful for me. Please don't suggest u-tube videos. I function way better working with accurate text and, I get more out of it.

Thanks for helping me solve my problems with getting this to work.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 15:43 Edited at: 19th Jul 2012 15:44
Quote: "The help file that came packaged with my download does not work. Al is see the index and error messages saying the page cannot load. That makes it difficult at best to know what all the commands are and what they do."

That's odd because the it's a standard Windows .chm (HTML help) file. Which Windows version you're running on? Additionally it might be due to faulty Internet Explorer installation as help files use IE to render pages.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 17:39
Quote: "A working help file would be extremely useful for me."

I have had this problem with other help files before, it was my os blocking the content. Right click on the help file and have a look at the properties, permissions etc

ddsmvwls
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah the system had it blocked. Avast may have done that from the way it looked.

I'm using XP full updates and Visual Studio 2008, c++ and visual basic.

Most things work without a problem, somethings need a little tweaking.

Thanks again for all your help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 06:30:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 06:30:39