Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TOWER CAB - the nextgen air traffic simulator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 02:21 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 02:31
Hey guys. Creating Airline Sharks taught me a lot about DarkBasic PRO. The ultimate goal of creating Airline Sharks was to actually create TOWER CAB - an air traffic control tower simulator. I had started the project a few years ago and had called it ATCsimulator2-Tower Edition. But needed a good period of learning before tackling it, and I decided to change the name and create a new franchise (hopefully). So, Airline Sharks was how I accomplished that. There is now an official product website for TOWER CAB at http://www.towercab.com

I am hoping that Mistrel releases the RC5 of his DarkGDK so I can use Visual Studio and all of my plugins. But for now, I am using the default DBPRO IDE to create it. The website has photos and a list of features. You can also check it out on facebook at;

http://www.facebook.com/towercab

There you will find some videos; one in particular is a time lapse of the DarkClouds addon, which I feel is extremely important for this sim. I will be visiting the airport next week to discuss ground operations and other bits of information necessary to make this as accurate as possible.

Other plugins that will be used are:

DarkAI - to control ground movement and as well as approach/departure routes of aircraft
DarkLights - to accomodate the lighting system of the airport at night
DarkPhysics - possibly for aircraft crashes and things like that..
EZRotate - for better object control in the air.
Dark Net - for multiplayer connectivity to ATCsimulator2. I plan on having the tower and app/dep controllers hand off to each other, as in real life.
PlantLife - creating scenery plant objects
TreeMagic - for tree objects in the scene.

AC3D - being used to create all of the 3d models; aircraft, buildings, airport, etc. It is far simpler to use/implement than 3d Studio Max.

Russell B. Davis/aerostudios
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 02:47 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 02:49
I've always wanted to play one of these, but never have. Yours looks good so far. Looks like somebody used Google Earth.

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 17:00
As a aviation sim enthusiast this looks very impressive. I can see by your other software that you have the experience to create a project like this. I guess keeping a project like this organized is the hardest part. Althought I prefere to fly then be a controller, I am very interested in this software.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 02:57
Here is an image of the current state of the first airport that is to be released with TOWER CAB.

Russell B. Davis/aerostudios

Attachments

Login to view attachments
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2012 03:34 Edited at: 9th Sep 2012 03:46
The TOWER CAB scenery is nearly complete. I was provided a copy of the airport signage map and create nearly 200 taxiway/runway signs and placed them in the exact location where they belong. I've also revamped the entire lights in the scene. There are nearly 4000 red/white/blue taxiway/runway lights. The airport terminal has been textured now, and all it needs are lightmapped textures for night mode. I am now working on the underlying routing data for movement of the aircraft on the ground. This is a very elaborate system that will make use of DarkAI and the user will assign taxi instructions constantly, and will need to have the routes updated internally based upon commands. I've attached an image of the approach end of runway 32 showing the signs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2012 16:02
I am impressed by your attention to detail. The screen shot looks great.
How did you solve the problem with your models not looking right in DBPro?
Now that we have the DBpro newsletter back I think Tower Cab should be
mentioned since it is the first aviation sim software to be made with DBpro that I am aware of.

[img][/img]

Stab In The Dark Editor
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 02:45
thanks! well I haven't got the models of aircraft quite figured out but the scenery is looking really good. Airline Sharks got a mention in a newsletter a few monthz back but TOWER CAB is way more impressive. Hopefully TGC will take notice.
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 23:11 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 23:13
Here is an updated GUI screen shot. The aircraft visible are simply "paper airplanes" used as model props until coding is complete. Once animation code is nearly completion, the models will be replaced with the full 3d version(s).

Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 00:32 Edited at: 9th Nov 2012 00:33
"Paper Airplanes" I knew the airlines were in trouble but that's ridiculous.LOL
All kidding aside looks like the project is moving right along, very nice GUI.
Did you switch to the GDK? Did you create a designer for your GUI?

[img][/img]

Stab In The Dark Editor
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 01:43
HAHA! Thanks SITD! I switched back to the DarkGDK.NET. In doing so, I lost the DarkAI and DarkCLOUD capability. But, hopefully someone will get around to getting Mistrel to finish up his DarkGDK so I can use those addons.

My GUI is all being created by hand using Photoshop primarily.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:14:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:14:18