Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / 3D RPG Maker may need to be ported from Truevision 3D to Dark GDK or XNA

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 16:58 Edited at: 11th Jul 2012 16:59
I had this 3D Role Playing Game Builder around for more than a decade and it is heavily written in Microsoft Visual Basic.NET and uses many windows references. I cannot port it outside of Visual Basic/Visual Studio because it heavily dependent on Windows GUI controls, ADO Database, etc. Plus I don't know C++. It has gone through upgrades from VB6 to .NET, DAO to ADO database, TV6.3 to TV 6.5. However I never invested in purchasing a license for the TV3D engine.

I purchase DarkGame Studio awhile back and believe I have rights to use Dark GDK (.NET?). The other possibility is porting to XNA. I know either of these engines are not identical to Truevision 3D 6.3/6.5. I probably have to rewrite most of the 3D generation routines.

The reason why I am doing this? Looks like Truevision 3D is out of business, their account is now suspended. There has not been an update for Truevision 3D for 4 years now. The Game Creators seems to be ongoing. I think the licensing for Dark GDK (.NET) is much cheaper.

I know the Game Creators have a RPG maker project of their own (Realm Crafter). I feel my program has a different level of customization for items, characters, dialogs, spells, quests, zone triggers, etc. I had my program in development since around the year 2000 and did not learn about Realm Crafter until more recently. I had different concepts in mind.

Some of the current upgades in the works include is port from DAO to ADO (lookup MS Database interfacing with VB). I am also working on some changes to make it more suitable for MMORPG play. I just got done with some changes that simplifies the Class and Skill Level set up.

I have to admit, the last thing I want to do is porting to a whole other 3D engine. But what is happening with Truevision 3D their fault. Some of the prior porting was already a major undertaking.

I might ask for some help with porting, tweaking, and rewriting some the programming. This is coming from a working complete program.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 17:07
Quote: "(Realm Crafter)"
is third party...

Would love to participate with this as I am keen to learn XNA .NET and ADO related things... unfortunately not for some time now...

Feel free to PM me any time...

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 17:09
I should add my project is called "Imperium Magica". I will post more details about the features if requested.

Some people can go on about which 3D engine is faster or better. However that is software. I think its more dependent on your 3D card and CPU these days.

I am favoring Dark GDK as a possible port to. Seems XNA is more low-level, almost as bad trying to use Direct3D directly (another possibility)
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 05:48
I am trying to test some programming in VB.NET 2008 + Dark GDK. I am getting " 'DarkGDK.Engine' threw an exception. " right away. Have any ideal what is causing this? If you are wondering I am starting by experimenting with a smaller project that I also wrote in TV6.5. I am trying to search this thread by not getting much specific.

Detail:
System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
Message="The type initializer for 'DarkGDK.Engine' threw an exception."
Source="DarkGDK"
TypeName="DarkGDK.Engine"
StackTrace:
at DarkGDK.Engine.InitializeGDK()
at BrickSpace3.BrickSpaceTV.Init_Engine() in D:\Projects\BrickSpace3Net\mMainDS.vb:line 1585
at BrickSpace3.BrickSpaceTV.Main() in D:\Projects\BrickSpace3Net\mMainDS.vb:line 2580
InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
FileName="DGDKPlugins, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e5d518e3875aacb1"
FusionLog="=== Pre-bind state information === LOG: User = X2Core\Peter LOG: DisplayName = DGDKPlugins, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e5d518e3875aacb1 (Fully-specified) LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/Projects/BrickSpace3Net/bin/ LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL Calling assembly : DarkGDK, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e5d518e3875aacb1. === LOG: This bind starts in default load context. LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\Projects\BrickSpace3Net\bin\BrickSpace3.exe.Config LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config. LOG: Post-policy reference: DGDKPlugins, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e5d518e3875aacb1 LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/BrickSpace3Net/bin/DGDKPlugins.DLL. LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/BrickSpace3Net/bin/DGDKPlugins/DGDKPlugins.DLL. LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/BrickSpace3Net/bin/DGDKPlugins.EXE. LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/BrickSpace3Net/bin/DGDKPlugins/DGDKPlugins.EXE. "
Message="Could not load file or assembly 'DGDKPlugins, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e5d518e3875aacb1' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
Source="DarkGDK"
StackTrace:
at DarkGDK.Engine..cctor()
InnerException:
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 01:28
Hey Petey,

If you bought Dark Game Studio you'll only have access to Dark GDK (full version) and not Dark GDK.NET (iirc, .NET was a wrapper written by a third party). So Dark GDK 1.0 is only compatible with C++.

But, Mistrel is working hard on Dark GDK 2.0. Mistrel is a 3rd part developer, so it might be possible you'll have to pay. All Dark GDK commerical users will get a free upgrade and it sounds like that applies to DGS buyers too, but I've not seen Mistrel confirm that himself.

The advantage of 2.0? It's not just for C++, the idea is for it to be useable in a range of languages. At the moment it's got a release candidate and RC5 will have .NET support. There's more information on the Dark GDK part of the forums.

I hope this helps you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:01:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:01:24