Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 01:04 Edited at: 9th Aug 2012 07:28
BOOM, I mean, BLOOM! Thanks to Latch and his mirror demo, I was able to put together a set of functions that control light bloom effects in DarkBASIC Classic. This should probably work in DarkBASIC Pro as well.

Here is a demo that implements those functions to make a spinning cube glow:

The resolution and blur level are adjustable, so the performance should hold up in any game. Need to add that extra bit of flare to your game? Just add a little light bloom! The functions also support something I call "dark bloom", or bloom that actually makes the world darker.

Technical note: Because of time limitations, I wasn't able to implement blend-bloom, but if you can figure out how to control the alpha of dynamic textures, you can lock another plane to the camera and texture it with the image specified in the "image2" parameter.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 05:32
That's pretty snazzy.

Shh... you're pretty.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 22:54
Quote: "That's pretty snazzy. "

Thanks, OBese. It's always exciting when I discover some new trick with DarkBASIC.

A lot of the credit has to go to Latch for this one, as he demonstrated how to capture renders of varying sizes. This code simply takes a render, blurs it, and puts it onto a ghosted plain in front of the camera. This is the same as using a hardware light bloom effect set at a lower resolution than the screen.

The cool thing about this demo is that you have complete control over the shading of the bloom overlay, so you can make the whole game look like Silent Hill just by doing bloomsync(rgb(255,0,0),1), which takes advantage of DarkBASIC's dark ghost effect. Also, you could make everything glow yellow by doing bloomsync(rgb(255,255,0),0). The possibilities are endless.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@fluffy
Wow, that's pretty innovative. Nice work!

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 03:02
@Latch-

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 16:30
That is actually very impressive Fluffy Rabbit, congratulations!

I think it's great that you're pushing DBC to it's limit, I see you really like to challenge yourself with such a limited engine. This still won't change my mind about C++ though, not much can compete with it's speed and power.

TheComet

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 00:31
That's a pretty cool effect.

I'm going to rename the TheComet as "TheC++omet"
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 23:47
@TheComet-

Thank you. This hardly counts as pushing DBC to its limit, though. However, that would be a great phrase to use in the marketing of my next game. "Dark Survival 2 pushes the game engine to its very limits!"

@29 games-

Zing!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:54:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:54:33