Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Protecting resources

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a way to encrypt data file and load. It would be nice to be able to stream data in to the loadimage file. Any ideas on how to protect image and audio file?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 11:37
I believe you can rename the file ending for the media files to anything you want. Use.Dat and most people wont touch it
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
zip them and rename the zip to .dat
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 00:07
To be honest, if someone is intent on stealing something, they'll probably find a way. Since it's doubtful your game assets contain classified information, I'd personally recommend against adding to the complexity of your application (and potentially to your load times) by encrypting data.

I'm of the opinion that, when it comes to game assets, the reactive approach is more appropriate - if somebody does steal your content, then there's recourse options available to you. Depending on where it is being hosted, you can probably petition to have the content removed (especially if it is in an app marketplace, like the App Store or Google Play). This is easiest to do if you have legally recognized copyright of the content (I'd recommend looking more into that yourself, as I'm not a lawyer).
zenman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the ideas. I'm really thinking ahead to 3d data.

And if I buy media frosomeonene and they ask for as part of the license to make some effort to make it difficult to steal I really don't think they are asking a lot.

And really is it too much to expect a game making lib to allow assets to be streamed in from memory and allow a developer to load data the way they wish.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 08:22
There has been a lot of discussion on this same topic for DBPro. For windows, Smart Packer Pro is one alternative.

I used to hate the thought of governments having orbital mind control satellites,
but now I can't really seem to care.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 08:30
Smart Packer Pro + Advanced Installer Free + "iexpress" = amazing combination for protecting your assets plus making an installer for your app within 10 minutes.

Though I will admit, Smart Packer Pro could be less... um, buggy.
----

Smart Packer Pro: disable virtual filesystem + medium encryption
Advanced Installer Free: create MSI that allows you to create shortcuts and application folders
iexpress: built-in to Windows (run from cmd) and convert MSI from above to EXE

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 17:54:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 17:54:07