Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Extended Terrain XYZ - Open Source: Layer based 3D terrain editor, now free

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 06:59 Edited at: 19th Jul 2012 03:08

Extended Terrain XYZ (original post, outdated website) is a Dark BASIC Pro project of mine from 5 years ago. It is a layer based, realtime mapeditor. It's perfectly compatible with DBPro and DGDK, the maps are importable through one command. You can also export heightmaps for use in other engines.
You can edit the terrainheights, texture, blendcolor and (- the name giving feature -) also the xz coordinate of each point. This can be used for some cool effects such as small caves and overhangs.

The Dark Basic import code is also compatible with Sparky's Collsion Plugin and Dark Physics.

List of features
This is an incomplete list of the features this editor has to offer:
• Up to 8 layers, each with its own texture and texture scale
• Up to 150'000 (~387^2) grid points supported
• Windowed, resizable application
• Very fast undo functionality
• Very fast saving
• Very fast importing in both DBP and DGDK
• Brush editor
• Subdivided model for efficient culling
• Multi Language support - English, German and French translations included
• Supports BMP, JPG, TGA, DDS, DIB or PNG format textures and heightmaps (.bmp export only) and exports the terrain in its own .etm file format for which loading code is provided.

Download
Download Extended Terrain XYZ - Open Source

(hotlink hosted on Dropbox, stats, d - if you like this project, please consider joining Dropbox over my referral link which will give both of us an additional free 500 MB)

• Download all required extensions (for compiling the source code) here
• Some additional textures and demo maps: here (26 MB) (stats, d)

Screenshots

Videos:

Source code
As the title says, this is not only free but also open source software. Since DBPro and BlueGUI 2 are free now, anybody can compile and modify this. Also uses some other free extensions, see included ReadMe.txt for more details (let me know if I missed a plugin). The required plugins can be downloaded above.

Final Words
I hope you'll like it and find the code useful. If you do like this, check my Game Maker Terrain Editor over at the GMC and my other projects there (see my signature there), as well as my website http://www.hurricane-eye.webs.com/.

Regards,
- Paul

Humanoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 08:51 Edited at: 18th Jul 2012 09:14
[EDIT]

Nice. Works fine my re-edited bluegui version. I thing you miss DarkSide plugin readme file. Or its hidden somewhere that ^_^

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 09:17
Any additional data¿
Is there a help file¿
What file formats does it import/export?

Will try it out soon...

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 14:07
Thanks for the feedback Humanoid. Yes I was missing DarkSideProgressBar, added it now (same download link) along with all required free plugins in the "Required Plugins" subfolder.

Quote: "Is there a help file?
What file formats does it import/export?"

There's a ReadMe included which mentions everything you need to know to use the program, but it is really very easy to use (you just need the Spacebar and the mouse).

It supports BMP, JPG, TGA, DDS, DIB or PNG format textures and heightmaps (.bmp export only) and exports the terrain in its own .etm file format for which loading code is provided. I might add .dbo and .obj support.

I'd be glad if you tried it.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 14:21
Shall try to try it tonight after I get home...

And include as verbose as possible feedback

Thank you and if this is handy for me I shall thabk you even more...

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 14:54
@Humanoid: Just saw your redited BlueGUI version. Is it OK if I include the complete BlueGUI 2 plugin (with your extensions) in the download? You basically already did (except for the help files) so I guess it is free now.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 02:32
Unfortunately I was unable to try it out tonight shall try again tomorrow night [Thursday Night]

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 17:49 Edited at: 20th Jul 2012 17:51
update,

well, it crashed on full screen/desktop I suppose I would have to fix that...

is this made with just BGUI and standard DBP or did you utilise other plugins?

wow I thought this was made with VS or something...

a lot of advanced features missing and not sure how to resize the terrain as the exported heightmaps are not to a power of two 32x32 64x64 128x128 256x256 etc resolution... had to upscale the default heightmap to load into 3DWS...

I could see this being expanded upon and will keep hold of this so that I can make something out of it someday...

please add this forum thread as a link file in the zip file so that people know where to go back to

or in the source code like you did got bgui...

enjoyed it but would play with it more if I could use it full screen...

EDIT

Woo, just noticed the updated links in the OP

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 22:59
You should be able to make it go fullscreen by changing the code in the setup subroutine just before the resolution is set. I didn't try by changing the project parameters. I might quickly add toggleable fullscreen mode.

As you saw, this does use some plugins, but nothing related to terrain/3d models.

You can always create a new terrain that will create a power of two heightmap by specifying the dimensions in such a way. But heightmap export is not the best way of exporting, because these are only 8 bit while the etm format stores full 32 bit floating point data.

Added the link.

Quote: "wow I thought this was made with VS or something..."

Thanks for the feedback xD!

Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
very nice Master Xilo... so much apreciated
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 18:47
An excellent application. Works like a charm and will be a great asset for our developments. Thank you Master Xilo for your hard work and efforts in creating this.

As Marvey said, it is greatly appreciated.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:47:47