Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Background Sprite Collision by Color

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using DarkGDK.NET, but that forums is a lot less active than this one. So I am duplicating this here...

I am working on a topdown 2D game in which the background (floor) of the map uses another sprite which is a collision map. The collision map is white where the player can move, and black where he cannot. I want the player to be able to move where the collision map is white, but run into a wall when it is black.

I could use transparency if it will make this easier. Does anyone have any good tutorials on how to do this in DarkGDK.NET? Thanks!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 12:28
Pixel Perfect collision isn't built into DarkGDK unfortunately.
If you won't have to rotate your collision map I'd suggest you to tuen it into a memblock (or just use dbGetImagePointer(imageID) / whatever it's called) to access the individual pixels and then check against their colours / alpha map at the position where your characters are.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
gwin003
Years of Service
User Offline
I won't have to do any rotations of the background map, but the player will obviously be able to rotate. I think I am going to try to incorporate a collision sprite into the player so I have a round circle to use for the player collision.

OR, I might try calculating and storing a circle. Then checking the edges of the circle for collisions... Not sure if this will work but going to give it a shot...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 09:12:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 09:12:48