Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Stunt Car Racer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 16:50 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 16:56
Stunt Car Racer

I have been wanting to make this game for ages, it's a remake of 'stunt car racer' which I used to play on my Amiga 500.

I have been working on the following using DarkGDK, everything needs more work:

- Track creator
Create and alter tracks in real time, includes slopes, hills and bends. Not reliant on any graphics api, saves to dbo (obj to be added).

- LOD Terrain
Not reliant on any graphics api, saves to dbo (obj to be added)

- Terrain
L3DT, Excellent and free terrain designer.

- Environment maps
Create an RGB image and assign environment objects(trees etc), this is how the trees are placed in pics.

- Physics/Collision
Dark Dynamix

- Imposter system
Dark Imposters

- Water
Thanks Evolved

-Shadows
Thanks Fallout & Evolved

ToDo:

- So much I might just give up now

Pics:

I'll probably need help(or money) at some point, the main thing is to finish the tools I am working on so anyone coming into the project can work at a higher level using the tools.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I liked that game. It was quite difficult to get used to at first, then it was OK when you got the hang of it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 18:49
Quote: "I have been wanting to make this game for ages, it's a remake of 'stunt car racer' which I used to play on my Amiga 500."

Snap! I had a 500 as well.

I loved this game. I will look forward to what you create, I am sure I will be tingling with nostalgia.

Good stuff.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 22:25
Good start mate. If you can render everything using the shadow shader, rather than lightmapping (which it looks like you've done with the circular road), then that'll be so much better and easier.

Having the landscape as a base will be awesome too. How does DYN handle that? Can it create a triangle mesh from a height map, or does it have to do it from a physical mesh?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 16:41
I will only be using directional lights to start with.

I used the shadow shader from your example, placed the light source really far away and closed down the FOV, worked out pretty good for now. I will put in a higher resolution dynamic version which will close in on just the player area and update the shadows each loop.

I use a triangle mesh at the moment but will switch to a height field soon, they only need height data and are much lighter in terms of memory and perhaps performance. Triangle meshes need an object.

I worked on putting all the different aspects together to be sure they all liked each other and will work together nicely

Now that's out the way I can group it all together into a small api and perhaps add a gui at some point to speed up development.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 19:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2012 19:18
Just added sun glare. Really good result for half an hours work I think.

I have attached the image I used for the glare. Here is how simple it is to get this effect:

A massive plane is placed really far away, textured with the image provided. Z read is disabled so the glare covers near objects.

I also have a dummy sun object(cube), when the cube is in screen I show the glare plane, when it's not I hide the glare.

The only problem is that you want the player to be always looking at the sun

EDIT: One thing I will have to add is a raycast from the player to the dummy sun object to be sure it's not behind a mountain etc.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm dying to see the car!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 21:46
Funny you ask about that, I just bought this.

Buggy

I can convert it to dbo but I need to optimize it a little first. It may not be the final model or it may be one of many, not sure yet.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, that looks OK, but you should really try to make a Dragster.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/113313-2.html

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 22:33
I can't 'make' anything Modelling is not my thing.

I do like the dragster look, there is a place in my game if I can find the right model.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can't 'make' anything Modelling is not my thing."

You should try. Get anim8or do the egg plant tutorial, and you can make a dragster.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 23:39
Quote: "You should try. Get anim8or do the egg plant tutorial, and you can make a dragster."

Perhaps one day.

My plan is to buy most media including models,music etc. Hopefully I will get a modeller on board when the it becomes more of a game

I have improved my obj-dbo converter so it applies textures from an mtl file. You can now remove limbs and I will add a feature to combine all limbs which share a texture. I am happy with this model so far, some kind of reflective shader on the frame and it should look pretty good.

I will make this tool available to everyone soon, right now it comes with Dark Dynamix to aid soft body creation, but its becoming pretty useful in its own right.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 05:24
Matty H, would you be interested in an updated TaharezLook imageset( 256x256 -> 512x512)? Just noticed you're using CEGUI for the GUI in that tool.

The game's looking really nice, can't wait to see that buggy in action.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 15:46
Quote: "Matty H, would you be interested in an updated TaharezLook imageset( 256x256 -> 512x512)? Just noticed you're using CEGUI for the GUI in that tool."

Yes. Is there a download somewhere or is it something you have put together yourself? I would like to create my own imageset eventually so my programs have a unique look but I have not looked into it yet and art is not what I am good at

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 17:05 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 17:06
Quote: "Yes. Is there a download somewhere or is it something you have put together yourself?"

I've attached it. I put it together over the course of a couple of days and tried to keep with the original TaharezLook style as much as I could. If any of the different gadgets are messed up, it's probably due to a typo that I made in the imageset file.

Widgets that I've used so far and know work properly: Button,Static Text, Vertical Slider, Listbox, and Tab Control. I haven't used any of the others so I don't know if they work or not.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 17:22
Thanks Dar13, I'll give it a try

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2012 17:35
New GUI imageset.

Thanks Dar13, it's a massive improvement. Although as you can see the spinner arrows are the wrong way around and there is some sort of artifact at either end of the frame title bars. The biggest issue is the caret seems to be slightly misaligned and sometimes seems to make the text disapear, I need to fix this if I am to use it.

Did you use a tool to create this? I know there is a couple of new tools in beta stage but I have not tried them.

Thanks again, it looks a lot sharper and more professional.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 04:34 Edited at: 7th Aug 2012 04:45
Quote: "Did you use a tool to create this? I know there is a couple of new tools in beta stage but I have not tried them."

Nope, did this all by hand. Was a righteous pain in the butt, so I won't be doing it again anytime soon.

Quote: "Although as you can see the spinner arrows are the wrong way around and there is some sort of artifact at either end of the frame title bars. The biggest issue is the caret seems to be slightly misaligned and sometimes seems to make the text disapear, I need to fix this if I am to use it."

To fix the frame title issue, use this updated TaharezLook.png file. I'm not sure what's going on with the spinner arrows, they're set up in the imageset and image file properly. You could try with messing with the width of the editbox caret in the imageset file, all I've done is double the resolution of all the widgets and stuff.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2012 19:42
Thanks Dar13.

I'm going to put the imageset to one side for now, the main thing is to get this tool finished, which I have nearly done. I can then update Dark Dynamix with the tool included.

I will hopefully get back to the imageset and get it working, if I do improve it at all I will post the files.

L3mmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 21:28
Anything new? :p

www.monsterwareltd.co.uk <--Visit today

Software, Games, Themes, Hosting, Wallpapers and more to come!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 13:57 Edited at: 18th Aug 2012 13:57
It's on hold, but not for long.

I am finishing my wife's website, then I am updating Dark Dynamix and then I can get back to this.

I will set up the vehicle model I bought with a reflective shader and provide instructions on how you can do the same.

Website I am working on is here: www.jayneschildcare.com if anyone is interested

calvinmark
Years of Service
User Offline
I love cars and watch car racing. When i watch stunts of car than i am so happy.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I love cars and watch car racing. When i watch stunts of car than i am so happy."

Just reminded me a joke by Jeff Dunham

"i love watching Ness car racing, cuz u never gonna guess what the next turn will be!"
(for the guys who wonders, avarage car racing goes by circles)
even if you go to break for 15 minuts, you wont miss a freaking thing!

Advanced Updater for your games!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 00:20
Website looks good chap!

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 20:03
Any updates Matty H? I loved the original game and hope to play your take on it

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2012 11:32
Not done anything recently. I will be looking to consolidate and document the terrain system next, I will make that available for anyone who wants it

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2012 01:44 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2012 01:50
There is a chance this project may continue with UDK, here is the same scene in UDK.

Even so, the tracks will still probably be created with DarkGDK, I will also be writing a small fbx converter using GDK so I can use media I have in dbo and x.

Here is a pro/con list.

UDK
pro - Good looking graphics with minimum effort
pro - Kismet visual scripting could speed up development
pro - Easier to implement AI
pro - Easier to implement(inherit) vehicle sounds.
con - Can't create editor for users to design own tracks.
con - Locked in to engine, may come across limitations you would not have with DirectX/GDK

GDK
pro - Can create track designer for users
pro - No lock in, almost every problem/feature can be resolved with GDK, if not, raw DirectX.
pro - Complete control over PhysX vehicle handling.
con - Game will take longer to make and probably wont look quite as good, and may never be finished

Any input is welcomed.

EDIT: I should add that the GDK version looks slightly better than the original screenshots, I will post a pic when I next run it.

Attachments

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 22:26
I think you should go with the one that makes you finish the game, because I want to play it!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 23:17 Edited at: 5th Oct 2012 23:23
Quote: "I think you should go with the one that makes you finish the game, because I want to play it!"

Thanks, and that is interesting. Would you not be keen on a feature to build your own tracks?

As it turns out I could still add a feature to build your own tracks using UDK. Although it would be tracks made from pre-made segments and would be more limiting than I originally intended, although the UI for joining segments would be simpler.

Request:

Is there modellers who would be interested in any of the following levels of involvement:

1. Rigging one or two existing vehicle models to UDK specification(see 2).
2. Setting up the vehicle inside UDK: Setting up vehicles
3. Creating unique vehicle models.

Any created content would not need to be exclusive to this game, increasing your chances of prospering off your work in the future.

If this does move to UDK I hope I can still post in this thread. I will post some pics of the track segments created with GDK and possibly share the code if I can tidy it up a bit
Really, all I have done is replaced the G with a U

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 13:20
If you do change will you let me know if there is anywhere else to follow your game? (I am not sure they will allow a thread that is not related to a TGC product)

Will there be LAN or net functions? That would be really awesome The original had direct link function

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:19:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:19:14