Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Moonsnaker released.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 14:04 Edited at: 1st Feb 2013 17:24
I have finally released Moonsnaker on Android. I have decided to do it myself as TGC are not the fastest. Hopefully Iphone and ipad compatible version to follow soon (via TGC). For those of you who didn't hear about it, Moonsnaker is the winner of the Snake Snacker competition from a few months back. The prize was for release on various formats, but I have decided to release on android myself as it has been some time now since I won the competition.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talosgames.moonsnaker&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50YWxvc2dhbWVzLm1vb25zbmFrZXIiXQ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEUcioXxlfk&list=UUrYm-qu_t31Ryb-7HYnZsog&index=1&feature=plcp

I was going to put up a direct video link but for some reason I cannot get it to work, so a link is the best I can do for now..

You can get it also from my webpage by using the quickcode on your android device
http://www.talosgames.com/moonsnaker.html
Now available for iphone and ipad!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moon-snaker/id547592777?ls=1&mt=8

Now at version 1.6. Featuring virtual joystick control and updated high score entry. Online High score added. Magnetic stardust added. Dragonfire added.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 14:40
DVader, I just downloaded for my S2 and I think I may have found a bug... Once I've lost all my lives the keyboard pops up for me to enter my name, but there is no text box or anything? I'm typing away, but nothing shows up...

Also, I know it can be difficult to incorporate a joystick of somesort, but for me I think that would make this great game even more enjoyable. Accelorometer is not my thing and an alternative will probably go down well...

Just my 2 pence (or cents?)...
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, the name entry is a little annoying, but there is no way to alter the text display box at the moment from how it is (hidden behind the keyboard). I would need to alter the system completely, I think. Of course if anyone knows a way to change the text entry box to a different position it would be useful. So at the minute you cannot see exactly what you have typed beyond the phones automatic display of each letter. A pain but it works once you hit return. I was hoping that this would be fixed by now, but no such luck.

I may add in a virtual joystick in an update. I found it to be really fiddly and hard to control on first tests however, so opted for accelerometer, which was way easier. I find the whole control issue on mobile phones to be a thorny issue, and really wished they all had built in pads! I am never totally happy with any system I have tried so far really. But the option would be nice so I will look at adapting the game to accept accelerometer or a virtual joystick. It is certainly easier on the PC with my PS2 pad!

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. For anyone interested, on my main website when you look at moonsnakers description, you will see a quick code. You can use that to download instantly with your phone by taking it's picture. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work okay.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 17:11
DVader, sorry to hear TGC are taking a while to publish it. I'll see what I can do to help

I don't have an Android device to test it on unfortunately

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I understand TGC are busy with their own stuff, and so it was not completely unexpected. The iphone version is awaiting approval at the moment, so all is good on that front so far. So hopefully it will be available on iphone, and ipad soon also. Still, if it fails, would be nice for you to give em a nudge when resending an amended version
I am considering appup to release it for PC, but haven't really looked into it much as yet. Exe support now from what I have read here and on appup.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 18:01
DVader, I take it you are using the 'TextInput' commnands? Have you tried with the 'EditBox' commands instead? Its what I use and it allows you to position the EditBox wherever you wish...
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 19:44
Congrats on getting your game published, man! Well done.
Better late than never.

Cheers

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Slayer. TGC said they would look at releasing on android after ios, but I decided to jump the gun, and go ahead and put it up myself.
Funnel7, I had thought about trying those, but thought you need to click in them to get it to focus on the box itself. Which would be a little finicky. If not I will have a look.
I am just looking at adding in joystick support at the minute but my phone is low on charge as ever, so testing is waiting on that at the moment.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 01:03
Congratz DVader! Sadly, I also don't have an android tablet to test it on so when an iOS version is out, let me know.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Hodgey. Don't worry I will update this thread when it becomes available
I have the new version ready with added virtual joystick control options now, but the ios version will be the version as is at present. I'm not quite sure about updating it on android though, seems as if I have to unpublish and delete it and start over using the same key, but I am not quite sure. I don't want to delete any stats it gets as yet.

I'd also like to say a big thanks to anyone who helped me with this, particularly the Slayer for providing some smart graphics in a sprite pack I had won previously, and also a few items he had done for me for other projects Also, Kamac and baxslash for getting the compo started and judging it. Matt Mcfarlands music was also a great addition.

I always forget this stuff! Although full credits are present in the game intro and end screen.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 03:53 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2012 03:57
thought they be faster with your code, and the wining prize was that they would release it. that is bad to hear I don't think I enter a contest again in agk. I read the news letter and you didn't even have the contest on it. They do have baxslash on the team he should of at least tried to publish your game, It was part his contest.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 11:23
DVader, undating in Google Play is actually incredibly easy. First off, update your AndroidManifest.xml with a new android:versionCode (cannot contain a decimal, so just increment it by 1) and update the android:versionName with your new version number. Re do all the Eclipse stuff and export a new signed apk using the same keystore as you created for the first version.

Then within the Android Developer Console, click on your app and you should see an 'APK Files' tab, click this and then select 'Upload APK'. Upload your new APK and once uploaded, you'll be given the option to 'Activate' your new version. Activate your new version, and your done... Typically, it takes around 2 hours for your new version to become available. No stats or anything are lost and you do not need to 'Unpublish' or delete anything... Looking forward to the new controls!

Oh, and regarding the EditBox, I haven't actually tried it, but SetEditBoxFocus() maybe what you are after!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
3D point in space. It was only an informal compo, but it has taken quite a while so far, I just hope it is approved. Then it will have to be updated to the latest version now I have added to it, lol.
Funnel7, ah, that sounds better, and less hassle. Before I published the game, I tried that option, as I had altered the apk file, and I had to re-do everything(image selection, description etc). I guess it was because it wasn't active and published. I have already altered the version numbers and have an certified apk file ready. However, I didn't check my initial version numbers and for some reason it was set at 14. So I am not sure whether to ignore it and use 2, or to carry on at 15 :s . I might have a quick look at that name entry before I update also. Yes seteditboxfocus, sounds just the job to get it working, thanks for the info. As long as the version number doesn't trip me up it should be updated later today.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 15:57
Quote: "I didn't check my initial version numbers and for some reason it was set at 14"

Yeah, that must be carry over from the 'AGK Player' I can only assume they are up to their 14th version? I don't think it really matters though, I would just go with 15, it will probably moan at you if you go backwards... As long as you know whats what I think thats all that matters...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 16:22
so are those ads click based or purchase based?

if the former...

Everybody knows what to do right? >.<

possible joking aside...

Congratulations again DVader!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mr Valentine, I believe they are click and impression based, but not much info to go on as yet. I'm not sure how many people who have looked here have tried it yet of course, Google takes 24 hours or so to update by the looks. I definitely recommend clicking the adverts if they interest you, or in the interests of testing that it works ok for all devices

Funnel7, I think you would be right. Pity I missed it first time round, but thought the default would be fine, doh! I've altered the name entry to a text box now, and am tidying it up a little. Once done, version 15 will be winging its way to the store soon lol.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 12:42
Iam a bit disapointed on tgc here

The main price whas the publication by them .

I belive they owe dvader some bonus instead like some more store points

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 12:51
I believe DVader has the best possible prize... And that is knowing he has a solid game... A community that loves it... And able to say his game is award winning already!

Anything else is just a bonus...

Oh and one of the best possible prizes... Huge feedback on his game... Invaluable!!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 13:42
I just checked and it was approved last night. Should be on iTunes any time now...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 17:08 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 17:11
I have had approval notification from TGC, so shouldn't be long till it's available for iphone. Of course I will need to update it now. I still haven't updated the android version yet as I am having more issues with the name entry than I figured on. PC version works perfect try it on android and it doesn't . I gave up on it last night before I start doing too much and break it even more. I will be testing this today to see if it is a bug or not. It seems so at the moment.

@cliff, yes it has been a little disappointing, I didn't feel very prize winning for the first month. It hasn't been so bad since they got moving on it though.
@ Mr Valentine. More feedback would be appreciated. So far I have only had one comment about the game play itself. From what I have gathered from friends and family trying it, is it is a bit hard. But they are not great game players.
@baxslash, thanks for checking it out. I don't want to sound as if I am just moaning about release though. I only really mentioned it to explain why I had released it myself, rather than TGC releasing. If I had realized quite how long the time scale was going to be, I would have released it months ago on android.

So far, not too many device installs though by the looks Only time will tell. Still have yet to update it to the new 1.2 or version 15 lol, because of the odd problems with the edit box command on android. PC works a treat.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 17:58 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 17:59
DVader, what issues are you experiencing with the EditBox? I'd be happy to try and help you out where I can. I'm using the EditBox in my app (BoxShot) which seems to work fine on Android (unless you are using the Swype Keyboard)...
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 18:48 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 20:48
Funnel7, I am having a couple of issues. I have setup a editbox and am hiding it just out of screen (although I have tried hiding it under the adverts also). I then am using standard text to display the actual name text as you type. This works fine on PC either way.

On android it is not being consistent. Sometimes you can see your text and no sign of the edit box. You can enter your name okay, but when hitting return it just sits there until you click the screen, and unfocuses the editbox.

Other times you can see the edit box as it seems to position it incorrectly. When that happens it works okay. So it seems that if you have the box onscreen it will work, but hidden, doesn't register. I suppose I can just use the editbox as is, but I thought it looked better sticking to the text style of the game and avoiding the box altogether.
I am using the default keyboard on my HTC, as far as I am aware lol.

Here is the test program I am trying it is pretty much the same code in the game. My android does not continue on after you enter.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
New 1.2 version now available on Android! Includes added joystick control.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Version 1.3 (android) has been on for awhile, I though I would update on here to both notify anyone interested and keep the thread alive . It has cleared the high score problem and I have hopefully improved it's speed on slower android machines. The iphone version is still 1.2, but is up to date with everything apart from speed optimization. Which from the reports I have had ran okay anyway, so I have left it as is for now. If you like it give it a review!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, just another update. Online score support is added on android at last! ipap and iphone will follow but will take longer as apple approval is not automatic.
So if you haven't played it in awhile or even not at all, give it a go and see how high you can get! It has taken me quite some time to get this working well, so any problems let me know. I tested a lot before publishing this, but you never know, I may have missed something.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Online scores now available on the iphone and ipad version (1.3)!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 21:55 Edited at: 14th Jan 2013 00:45
So I finally got an Android tablet and I have to say, this is a fun game DVader (got one of the top 10 high scores ).

Here are a couple of issues I noticed:
- The app crashes after entering and displaying highscores. So I'll enter my name, it'll show the highscores for about 1 second and then crash.
- If I tap the screen impatiently upon the start up/credits/loading screen, it'll say that the app isn't responding and I have the option to wait, report or quit. Simply clicking wait works fine but other users may not be so optimistic.

All in all, a great game.

Edit- probably helps if I mention which device I'm using - Nexus 7 running Android 4.2

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2013 16:42 Edited at: 14th Jan 2013 16:45
Cheers Hodgey, that's just the sort of info I need! Well apart from the bad news of crashes. I have an inkling I may know what it is, the problem I have is on my older android device it works fine! The app responding problem I have seen on a few devices, but am not sure what causes it, apart from ice cream sandwich and higher OS's. I have seen it on Obliterator as well when testing it on occasional new devices.
The highscore crash I can hopefully fix, the app responding problem I have no clue how to address at the moment, as it seems like an AppGameKit thing rather than a in game code one..

Edit checked your score on my website. Nice score(s)! See you made top of the board!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2013 20:33
I did think the "not responding" problem was a bit weird. I did have to tap the screen a large amount of times to invoke it. If loading doesn't take too long, maybe you could add a skip button? I would think that if you're syncing, it wouldn't show but maybe it can; it has happened to me before with text input.

I hope you can fix the high scores, I only get to enjoy my victory for about a second . While you're at it, would you be able to add a "view high scores" to the menu (just a suggestion)? If you need help testing your latest fixes I'm happy to help out. Just shoot me an email.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Hodgey! I will contact you as soon as I have a new version for you to try. The response problem as far as I can see only seems to occur on tablets for some reason. Every phone I have tried so far has not exhibited the problem. So there may be some odd difference in tablets use of the OS compared to phones, or I just haven't found a phone that causes it yet.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 08:42
Quote: " I will contact you as soon as I have a new version for you to try. "

Ready when you are.

Quote: "The response problem as far as I can see only seems to occur on tablets for some reason. "

It doesn't seem to occur too much, only if you tap it impatiently. I don't think it's a big issue and it's probably out of your control to fix.

Regarding the highscores crash, it actually worked once. I typed in my name, then tapped the screen to continue and the highscores (and app) stayed up! I'm afraid every other attempt has resulted in a crash.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually have a version which may work ok now. I have been busy on Obliterator a little and also a couple of other things I have been playing around with. I will send you a version to test asap.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 17:15 Edited at: 9th Feb 2013 14:24
Version 1.6 on Android is available now. It adds final bug fixes, and two new features. Magnetic Stardust, which makes grabbing the stars in those awkward places easier! Dragon fire, your snake will fire molten death at anything in it's path for a short period, when you collect it.
The iphone version update will probably follow in a week or so! Thanks to Hodgey for testing out a couple of Nexus bugs. Allowing me to finally get it bug free! (I think!)

Edit - Iphone version 1.4 with all updates above is now available.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:23:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:23:34