Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Retro Racer - For Windows PC and Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 03:18 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 03:19
It's finally done. Thank goodness.

Android Lite:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bukketgames.retroracerlite
Android Full:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bukketgames.retroracer
Windows PC:
http://playbukketgames.com/games/rrpc100_installer.exe
Original video game soundtrack:
http://playbukketgames.com/games/rr/soundtrack/rros.zip

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 05:43
Hey if anyone with an Android phone or device test this out that'd be fantastic - I'm not sure if it's a device, media, or AppGameKit issue if the players car is a white block.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 06:08
Samsung Galaxy SGSII Android 4.0.4

White Block: YES

Game feedback: AWESOME!

Developer tips: Make the loading when loading levels flash just like the earlier loading text...

Rating overall: 9/10
Reason: Was Retro!

Verdict: Pure Nostalgia for us golden gamers!

Additional notes: Once the white block issue is fixed, I will link this on my facebook!

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 06:21 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 06:26
Thanks! That's 3 for 3 so far with white block. Did everything else work well? My android tablet cant handle the game period so it'll be interesting to test. I'll post an updated APK for the lite version here once I get a look at the code.

EDIT: I might be able to come up with an optimization for loading files so I'll wrap this up as a 1.1.0 update

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 06:43
I loved the menus, the sound played flawlessy... erm controls were a bit odd...

maybe add a gas button and a brake button... its fidgety to play with just the analogue stick lol [okok Atari right?]

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 07:30
It's a trade off with a touch-screen. First, I wanted to make sure that people didn't need two hands to play the game. Second, having to use both thumbs would have killed the bottom of the screen for any sort of GUI. I would have had to used to the top of the screen which would have limited visibility further.

Having dedicated input would be perfect. Ah wells.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 07:37
not to worry, hey perhaps then place an image on the loading screen to describe the controls... as tbh nobody ever reads instructions lol [okok some do...]

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 13:09
Hey Mr Valentine---
I know where the bug is in the app, but I'm not sure about the best way to fix it. I should have an update tomorrow for the app.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 13:14
No worries

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 16:31
I tried it on my Asus Slider and the road the cars was white blocks. Not playable. But the music was fine.
The loading time was a little long after selecting the track.

Check my games for iPad, Android Tablet and PlayBook.
www.ipad-apps.dk
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just tried the lite version on android. I get the start screen and menu's but after selecting the sample track, it sits there for ages saying loading and then exits. I have a HTC Desire HD phone so not too slow a device. So no luck here at the moment.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 20:05
Ok, that confirms it then - it's a problem with copy image and atlas textures :/ That being said, I changed the map files a bit so that it should load faster and I think I got it solved with the atlas images too

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 20:43 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 21:09
Updated - at least the Lite version is! If you guys could test it out, that would be great. It runs on my Android tablet now, and is much faster with load times.

EDIT: All updated. we shouold be good to go now

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 23:16
I dont follow... did you update the Android market or is that a download APK file?

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 23:21
Either. It's 1.1.0.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 23:25 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 23:26
Then I have to wait for the store to update...

EDIT

lol nevermind its updated now >.<

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 23:31
UPDATE: After the update... it crashed once completing loading of the game for racing... ran it again and no issue... plays fine...

but that first hitch of shutting the app suddenly and returning back to erm desktop is a little worrying...

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 23:51
Yup. I know, nothing I can do sadly - it's Tier1 and works flawlessly on PC and iOS so theres not a whole lot more else I can do besides optimization (which 1.1.0 brought a lot of)

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 23:59
I just played it on both my Nexus 7 (Android 4.1.1) and Toshiba Thrive 7" (Android 3.2.1, they have a 10" version, which is why I specify the size). My comments are meant to be helpful, not a criticism.

It played okay, but I'm not a big fan of the virtual joystick. I can see where it might be a problem on a smaller device or for someone with larger fingers.

It seemed to keep you on the track automagically. I didn't actually seem to need to steer most of the time, except to avoid other drivers. I cranked the speed up pretty high. I'm a rev-head when given the chance, just ask the dude in South Carolina when he told me to 'speed it up a little' at a Myrtle Beach mini-formula one track. The first circuit on the track was to get a feel for the car (don't ever get the yellow one, it will not speed up at all) and the track. My next circuit set the top speed for the day (but I never collected my free pizza). I sorta know what a brake is for when I'm racing, but only use it when absolutely necessary.

It turns out that hitting cows or trees while trying to maneuver around the other players is not a good idea.

The game startup is pretty good. It took a few moments before the black screen changed. I would suggest some sort of promo about the game and/or bukket games instead of a blank screen. It at least lets the user know that something is happening.

The download took a bit (14mb).

The game did recognize when it went to the background and came back in the paused mode. This is a good thing.

Although, the sound continued to play when I hit the home button. This may or may not been an issue with the particular device. It was paused when I returned to it.

Overall, it looks pretty cool (I only tried the Light version, since I was downloading to two different devices).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2012 00:54
Quote: "It played okay, but I'm not a big fan of the virtual joystick. I can see where it might be a problem on a smaller device or for someone with larger fingers."

I have big thumbs and my main device is an iPhone

Quote: "It seemed to keep you on the track automagically. I didn't actually seem to need to steer most of the time, except to avoid other drivers."

That's how I programmed it to be. If you leave your thumb off of the gamepad, you'll maintain speed and direction. However, if the road curves, you'll start to move left and right (towards the side of the road).

The part with the cows is from the first level of the game, it's intentionally easy. The last level in particular you have to do a perfect run on because time is limited and you are guaranteed to crash if you go off the sides too far.

Quote: "It turns out that hitting cows or trees while trying to maneuver around the other players is not a good idea."

CRASH CRASH CRASH

Quote: "The download took a bit (14mb)."

That'd be the music I included.

Quote: "The game did recognize when it went to the background and came back in the paused mode. This is a good thing.

Although, the sound continued to play when I hit the home button. This may or may not been an issue with the particular device. It was paused when I returned to it.
"

Same on mine, though that's an AppGameKit issue (not mine).

milhaus
Years of Service
User Offline
I just downloaded the lite version on my Nexus 7(16 Gb version,4.1.1) and, unfortunately, it got to loading the track then crashes out every time. It looks pretty good in the video, although the music on the loading screen was very irritating (intentional, I think!).

I'll comment on it fully once I get it running.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 00:21
Quote: "I just downloaded the lite version on my Nexus 7(16 Gb version,4.1.1) and, unfortunately, it got to loading the track then crashes out every time. It looks pretty good in the video, although the music on the loading screen was very irritating (intentional, I think!)."

Thanks for reporting - I think it's an issue with loading the tracks, which is unfortunate. Perhaps it's an array issue? I just don't get how it crashes on Android when it works perfectly on other platforms.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:06:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:06:10