Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Particles vs. animated sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 15:04
Hello all!

I'm about to make a 2D game viewed from above where player controls a turret and tries to survive from attacking enemy waves. I'm trying to decide whether to use particle effects or animated sprite for muzzle flashes. Which one do you prefer most? Particle effects would be cool but I've never really coded one.

If some one happens to know good tutorials about particle effects on AppGameKit / DarkBASIC, please, share me a link. Any other bit of help is appreciated! Thanks
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 18:11
omg,

ignore that, but use particles it would look cooler... or an animation erm sprites... might work too... guess it depends on the lighting and camera angle...

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 20:54
Ok, thank you for your answer.

What was that 'omg' meant for? My guestion or what?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 20:55
its like you were reading my mind lol ive had that idea for some time now, oh well

great minds think alike

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 11:01
Oh, ok I thought my question was funny in some way.

Hey, if you have a same game idea I don't mind if you put your idea as a game I'm still quite new with game programming, and that was first idea that crossed my mind. I planned to make the game in AGK.

If you want we could share some ideas but still work individually. I'm working on a game design document at the moment, shaping my thoughts in more detail.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 11:22
Maybe you can do it in 2D... And I will use 3D for mine

I only plan to utilise AppGameKit 2D for simple apps... So it is likely I will build mine in DBPro in 3D first and then port it to AppGameKit 3D later...

I dont mind discussing say functions or mechanics sure... Ask away...

First thing I would say... Build up a weapons list and also think about the kind of defenses the enemies can also use... Maybe even give them the ability to build a defensive wall so that they can get closer to you... You could specify points on the map where only specific types of AI characters can begin building defences as they pass over it... Making the coding far easier...

Hope these ideas help...

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 13:02
Yep, I planned to make it in 2D, you can concentrate on 3D

Thanks for the ideas, I haven't got that far on my plans but those surely sounds worth of thinking through.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 14:08 Edited at: 20th Aug 2012 15:06
Thinking about it again... You can use ray casting on layers below your AI character every few ms say every 500ms to reduce workload... And if it finds the ray hitting a colour block ... Oh you would have a bool image meaning a two tone image... One colour is blank the other a specific RGB colour that you test the ray against...

And then it can begin building... Also if you are clever about it you can use multi colours to represent the animated sprite to load... So if the ai was on the top right of the screen load animated sprite top right and etc for others... And placement data can be the centre of that colour block...

Hope this makes sense...

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2012 14:40
@ codetrasher

thats funny i also trying to make a game in AppGameKit with th same idea of turret surving waves of enemy. i am also new to AppGameKit code so idont have rto much done yet.

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2012 20:16
@leo877

That sure is funny Either the idea is easy to come up with or we are all telepathically conncted :'P

Was your game supposed to be on 2D or 3D? I'm not diving into 3D too quickly, since 2D has its potential in gaming and of course I need to learn 2D first.
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 05:04
@ code to answer your questions...

my game is going to be 2d. the graphics not sure but i couple different drawing progams...one were you can draw pixels sprite, and there is blender3d...were i was gonna make the model, animate the export to 3d to 2d. i did a mini experiment so i can make a sprite sheet were 3d model is a single jpg ..hard to explain but when i get i post of wat i am talking about.

also my game is gonna be a top down view were the cannon move 360 after i read article using swipe.

on using either particles or sprite.... i am gonna use particles instead of sprite.

Quote: "since 2D has its potential in gaming and of course I need to learn 2D first.
"

i agrre with you sinse its for phones and tablets for what i am trying to make.

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 10:36
@leo877

Quote: "were i was gonna make the model, animate the export to 3d to 2d. i did a mini experiment so i can make a sprite sheet were 3d model is a single jpg"

Well, I've been trying to think which way I'm going: should I make my sprites with Paint.NET or equivalent and try to make some 3D effect on them, or go to your way and use 3D program for the models and export them to sprite sheets... In latter case, has Blender 3D or some other modelling tool that kind of feature, creating sprite sheets out of 3D model? Could you show or point me to some examples, please? That would be nice thing to learn

Quote: "also my game is gonna be a top down..."

This is my case also, but I planned to place my turret right on the bottom of the game area, so the turret is not turning 360 but 180 degrees at max.

Do you also know more about creating particles, some good tutorials? I've been looking at the AppGameKit particle tutorials a little but I haven't got much of them, yet. Must check them later again...
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 12:43
@ code trasher

Quote: "has Blender 3D or some other modelling tool that kind of feature, creating sprite sheets out of 3D model? Could you show or point me to some examples, please? That would be nice thing to learn "

well i am not expert on blender, so I dont if you can. what i did is experment with different techciles. i can try to make a quick video of what i did as soon i refiugre it out...time for another quick youtube video. i also use the joint imager that game with agk.

Quote: "Do you also know more about creating particles, some good tutorials"
sorry no just the example in AppGameKit, snd havent got that to use in my game.. i just starting very slow.. i just got my book agk vasic book for about 2 weeks so i still reading it.

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 13:29
No, you don't have to make any video , I was just curious and asked

I did some googling and I found some Youtube video tutorials about extracting animation frames as .png images. Then those images are used on some program to generate the sheets.

I became very interested. When I manage to find some spare time I'll give it try. Now I have some chances to make my game look much better

Quote: "i just got my book agk vasic book"

I have thought about purchasing the book also. I think one could get a grip about AppGameKit with online documentation also, but I've always preferred books I'm kind of old-fashioned nerd :')
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 05:43 Edited at: 24th Aug 2012 05:54
@ codetester

I know you said I didn't to have make a video but I did any way. I use blender3d, AppGameKit, and Image Joiner. so here the link:

http://youtu.be/8MkdSyvQIo4

I just read my post, Oh boy so many mistake in that post. . No more posting when you are half asleep and 5 o clock in the moring.

On another note about particles; the HANDS ON AppGameKit BASIC has good info on how and what the commands does and activitys for you use to get a better understanding and if you get stuck theres a solution page at the end of each chapter. After stumping into this topic i just had to look at that section.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:16:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:16:09