Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / First day impressions of the Freedom Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Today Ive spent almost 10 hours using the Freedom-Engine upgrading to a gold account. Overall im impressed, Ive tried to do HTML5 development a number of times but have gave up due to my hatred of javascript so using AppGameKit Basic makes it a more pleasant experience.

I spent today porting over a AppGameKit game that I made for Android and Playbook. Its still got a long way to go for it to be fully ported over but you can still play its current form here: https://freedom-engine.com/play.php?id=897

Use the mouse cursor to aim, left mouse to shoot, and spacebar to jump.

You can tell this is an early beta. There are a lot of bugs in the Basic language with a lot of commands (like virtual buttons) that will crash your game. Also The editor will crash every so often in Chrome usually for no reason, either ill get a shockware plugin has crashed error or the whole page crashes.

I guess the webgl stuff is still to be optimised as the performance/frame rate of my game is not very good (The same code in the AppGameKit runs great on netbooks and android phones).

I don't know if ill be using it over the AppGameKit anytime soon, but that might change when it gets updated, as I like the look and feel of its editor over the one used in the AGK.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 09:17
Good little review. I love the game too, really fun and stupid, with fantastic pixel-art.

How long does it take to load for you? It took me about 3 minutes for that to load up, on a 20mb connection.

Also, scored about 4000 points. Really cool little game.

Greenlig

ZacDuff.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
keep in mind that FE is still in beta, so its obvious that not everything works 100%

why do games need porting?
it's just a matter of copy & paste your t1 code and press run!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 11:37
At the moment it's not much use, is it? Doesn't work on IE9, iPad or much else apart from Chrome. I don't think I'll be throwing the compiler away any time soon!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 12:40
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 12:42
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
greenlig the games is only 5 megs but there are a lot of image files, so even though it take 10-20 secs on a mobile it takes 2 - 3 mins on the browser. Im going to reduce the amount of images for the game to speed it up.

bjadams Even though it was a T1 game there's a number of reasons why I had to do a lot of changes to get it to work.

1) The game was for mobile devices so I had to change the controls for mouse and keyboard.

2) Alot of the AppGameKit features arent working yet such as virtual buttons which when called crash the game so I need to redo some of the controls.

3) The are bugs in its version of AppGameKit BASIC such as arrays for example:

Dim spawnYPosition[3] as float = [-50.0, -30.0, 70.0]
The each of the elements of the array will return 0

However it works if I do it this way:
Dim spawnYPosition[3] as float
spawnYPosition[0] = -50.0
spawnYPosition[1] = -30.0
spawnYPosition[2] = 70.0

haliop that a decent score but you'll get a far better score when I put back in the bullet time charge up power!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 16:47
Impressive! Nice to see a third party app running so well!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 12:39
Well, I am a little confused. HTML5 canvas works much better with many more browsers and the performance is better on more browsers. Why not use that instead of WebGL?

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 13:10
I'm not on the development team, but I imagine as AppGameKit is based on OpenGL, it's a lot easier to move over to WebGL which is based on the same standard, then to completely rewrite the engine for a second time. As WebGL and browser support improves you'll more than likely see freedom engine improve as a direct result.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 14:20
Well, it would be nice to be able to output directly into HTML5 canvas support (for 2D) so we can better browser support.

IE 9/10 will have a lot of people and they will never support WebGL and the others support webGL poorly. HTML5 Canvas is more standard with all browsers and will have better speed.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 08:07:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 08:07:34