Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Starting multiplayer game. Looking for tips on starting.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2012 20:17
I am starting a multiplayer game. It is a dungeon and dragons style RPG. It is turn based. I would like it to work over the internet but I at least need it to work over a LAN. Looks like the commands are there that I need. My question is can I start making the game now as a single player game then add in the networking later? Or should I start with the networking and then move onto the game?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My question is can I start making the game now as a single player game then add in the networking later? Or should I start with the networking and then move onto the game?"

I would work on them together throughout the project. The two pieces always lean on each other, and you won't be able to predict the specifics on your first go if you conduct either piece individually. That being said, get some basic networking code working first, because it is much harder to implement later on in your programming cycle.

swis
Interstellar
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 02:32 Edited at: 20th Sep 2012 02:32
You could always try a modular approach...

That being said, I think you are looking to perform a dual system for multiplayer there... I think you should work on just one and spend the time to make it as efficient as possible... most devices are web enabled with a data plan or through local wireless networks [Wi-Fi] I think only a select few users will be detached from said circumstances [like me lol cancelled my data plan as it was just rediculous... and I have no need for mobile data plans any longer]

I think if you focus on a centralised server solution you can then enhance the multiplayer system even further by making it more intelligent... [That sounded like something off of Top Gear... lol]

Hope this helps somewhat...

Oh and just to mention, if you do plan to go for a web server based solution, might I suggest you take the PHP+MySQL route...

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 02:46
My thoughts: design it so that even when you are playing by yourself you are just playing a multiplayer game by yourself .

Separating the versions will probably cause you no end to grief." oh darn I didn't consider loot distribution for more than one player. Oh crap how do I divide the CP for the group??? Etc and so. On

And you can build in statements that reduce game logic if no other players are connected

If( number_of_players > 1) do something;

Otherwise wouldn't this keep you from having to write two totally different games that look the same right?
Kobaltic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 04:05
I think I will develop them at the same time. If i knew how to get agk to work with a true remote server I would.

I didn't know there was anything else other than php and mysql.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 11:00
If you look at most older PC games, they have different multi-player modes.

1) Local
2) LAN
3) Internet

Get your game working as a multiplayer project on the *same* machine. You can use this as your 'control' case so to speak. Anything involving networking or the Internet will add layers of complexity to your project, and you'll be left wondering whether or not your game - or the networking code - is what's causing it to break.

If programmed correctly, a single-PC multiplayer game shouldn't be too difficult to network. It wouldn't be a trivial task, obviously - you should still adhere to smart, extensible programming design for any of your projects. But getting it to work without a network connection would be a great step to guaranteeing that it will work when it does.

Case in point: My racing game 'Retro Racer' was offline only, but I designed it in mind so that I could offer downloadable content for it. Once I got offline maps for it working, I extended the code-base to accommodate DLC content. Even though I had enough work completed in the game, the difficulties of adding simple DLC was enough to cause a slight mental snap. :/

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 20:28
Have you got any computer players in it? Or just humans?

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 20:43
http://browserquest.mozilla.org/

Try that out, its a multi-player Zelda like game written by the programmers at Firefox, I do believe they give away the source code, might give ya some ideas of what direction to head.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 20:46
Its in Javascript and HTML5, same languages really, just different names and calls, but the syntax is not that hard to follow. and the game logic should give you an idea of how to handle multiplayer. Now this is just an idea, as I havent had a chance to scan all the code. but if nothin else, fun to play!

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Kobaltic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 21:36
The DM will be a computer. the rest will be humans. I hope to have an expansion that will allow a human to be a DM.

I will take a look at the code. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:43:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:43:55